Thinking upgrade, when do the new processors come out

Cancer12

Nov 30, 2001
I've got a new HD (WD Black 1TB) and case (Cooler Master Sniper) queued up on Newegg, and I'm toying with the idea of adding and i860 setup with it (decent combo deal: i860, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R, and 4GB OCZ Obsidion 1600 for $481).

I know there are some problems with the current 1136 platform, such as difficulty overclocking due to the pci bridge.

I'm wondering if I should wait for the (i believe) 32nm revision, since it will also have the new usb and sata ports in addition to being more mature.

How long has intel said it would be for new processors?

I currently use a E6600, and I'd be fine if I had to wait 3 months or so, but if its going to be another year I might just do this deal now.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
I've got a new HD (WD Black 1TB) and case (Cooler Master Sniper) queued up on Newegg, and I'm toying with the idea of adding and i860 setup with it (decent combo deal: i860, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R, and 4GB OCZ Obsidion 1600 for $481).

I know there are some problems with the current 1136 platform, such as difficulty overclocking due to the pci bridge.

I'm wondering if I should wait for the (i believe) 32nm revision, since it will also have the new usb and sata ports in addition to being more mature.

How long has intel said it would be for new processors?

I currently use a E6600, and I'd be fine if I had to wait 3 months or so, but if its going to be another year I might just do this deal now.

It's going to be another year at least if not more. Do your upgrade now.
I myself plan to upgrade november/december latest.

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
Do it now. and overclocking problems on 1156 are highly exaggerated, if not downright FUD.

Cancer12

Nov 30, 2001
K I'm going to do it now. I hope it lasts as long as my E6600, which i feel it will. Components look fine? What heatsink is recommended for a 4ghz oc

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I think Gigabyte m.b. are fine only foxconn reported to have this problem. personally I'm waiting for the 32nm to show up next year before an 1156 upgrade but now isn't a bad time they are not terribly expensive infact i5 750 is a great deal. if you go i8 I'd look at 1366 not too much more and you get to go 6/8 cores later.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I think Gigabyte m.b. are fine only foxconn reported to have this problem. personally I'm waiting for the 32nm to show up next year before an 1156 upgrade but now isn't a bad time they are not terribly expensive infact i5 750 is a great deal. if you go i8 I'd look at 1366 not too much more and you get to go 6/8 cores later.

The upgrade to 6core is not confirmed for either socket. This is all conjecture and rumor. Buy for now, not for the prospect of what might be available later. There's one side of things that says Intel will scrap both sockets in favor of something new for Gulftown CPUs.

Think about this. No Northbridge on the P55 with the PCIe and Memory controllers on die for the socket 1156 boards. The x58 uses the old style with a traditional northbridge. Which do you think is the way things will go in the future? Of course on die controllers. Seeing as Intel views the x58 as their high end platform it makes sense if they were to either keep 1156 and move that onto the next boards (whether it be x68 or something else), or simply have a new socket altogether.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
cmdrdredd- the option of upgrading to gulftown, for s1366, is fact. Totally confirmed by Intel (and by people using gulftown ES chips on current X58 boards).

The LACK of a hex-core upgrade for s1156 isn't in doubt by anybody, either (given a pre-sandy bridge timeframe, and sandy is probably 4 and 8 cores rather than 4 and 6).

The reason X58 has a northbridge is simple, ITS A SERVER (dual socket) PLATFORM. Its really that simple. I don't agree with all of the design choices for s1366 vs s1156, but at least I understand why they were designed as they were.

OP- The forthcoming 32nm chips will be dual cores (32nm/westmere/clarkdale), not quads. The next gen (32nm quad) chips won't be out until next year (sandy bridge).

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
OP- The forthcoming 32nm chips will be dual cores (32nm/westmere/clarkdale), not quads. The next gen (32nm quad) chips won't be out until next year (sandy bridge).

I think you meant 32nm quads will not out until Q1 2011?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The upgrade to 6core is not confirmed for either socket. This is all conjecture and rumor.

Thanks to my sponsor im allowed to post this.

loadtemps.jpg

Thats on a evga Classified E759.

:p

That is why i made my gulftown comment in that previous thread.
I didnt mean it as a brag.

LGA1156 people HAVE NO gulftown option.
Infact i dont even think you guys are gonna get a OCTO even.

You guys will be limited to quads + IGP's at best, and miss out on the higher cored processors.

While LGA1366 will have it in 4-6 months.
After a short introduction on the XE Gulftown, a cheaper one will come out.
Well not budget class, but a decient priced class available as a Xeon.

And like what ikhan said, the X58 is basically a gamer server board, so that puppy Xeon will work in it. :)
And oh yes, all of them love voltage, and scale rediciulously high, like how yorkfields did.

So a low multi gulftown will probably get = if not better then your current i7 920. :)
And they dont heat up very much at all either, until u go benchmark suicide happy.

There's one side of things that says Intel will scrap both sockets in favor of something new for Gulftown CPUs.

What I want to know where all these people are getting more inside information then i am...
I dont think intel will implement a socket change until 22nm.
I did hear of a rumor on a X68 but this was after USB3.0 and Sata3 was finally implemented, along with 10G lan.
But not until all 3 was implemented.

I heard intel wants to merg the ultra high end gamers with enterprise tho.
This could mean bad news, as enterprise is hella expensive. But were seeing that right now.

The reason X58 has a northbridge is simple, ITS A SERVER (dual socket) PLATFORM. Its really that simple. I don't agree with all of the design choices for s1366 vs s1156, but at least I understand why they were designed as they were.

:p the 5500 series were given an upgrade in boards.. and are now called 5520.
I dont know exactly what they did, but they did some tweeks me thinks..

I need to investigate more on what this 20 addon exactly is.

But i finally got my dually back. Gonna reset her up. :)

You know whats funny... i told people no 32nm until next year.
I even made a bet with IDC on that comment. Because of the flames i took from that comment.

IDC i won. :p
You now need to call me the dark lord of intel for 2010. :p

LOL...

Last edited:

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
@ Aigo,

6 core 12 threaded i7 at ~ 4.4ghz :eek:. Your temps are top notch too! Looks like 32nm is moving along quite well.

Now you will have the fastest CPU for at least a year. What are you going to do all this time without fun new cpu toys? :hmm:

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
I think you meant 32nm quads will not out until Q1 2011?
No, westmere is the "Q4 2009" part, even if it hits in jan 2010. Likewise, sandy is the "Q4, 2010" part, even if it doesn't hit at that exact moment. We won't see 32nm quads until sandy, which is the "Q4 2010" part.

Aigo- what cooler is that on? The retail (retail for gulftown is a heatpipe tower, AFAIK)? H2O?

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
its currently being tested on water. :p

And that was during a nice warm day of of like 27C ambient.

I cant show u guys the screenie yet but i can say unoffically, she scored a 33k score in cinebench R10. :p

@ Aigo,

What are you going to do all this time without fun new cpu toys? :hmm:

Cou*GTX300*gh...

too bad i dont have nvidia connections. ():)

Then again there's always this...
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4096825&postcount=34

But i would have to rebuild lind right after i built her... :\

Last edited:

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
No, westmere is the "Q4 2009" part, even if it hits in jan 2010. Likewise, sandy is the "Q4, 2010" part, even if it doesn't hit at that exact moment. We won't see 32nm quads until sandy, which is the "Q4 2010" part.

Aigo- what cooler is that on? The retail (retail for gulftown is a heatpipe tower, AFAIK)? H2O?

Right, but I am pretty sure Sandy won't be out until Q1 2011.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
Considering when Intel's other 32nm fabs are scheduled to come online, Id say its more like Q3 or Q4 2010. But time will tell.

mav451

Jan 31, 2006
aigo - I bought my i5 merely as a "stop-gap" measure. The real important question is how much is the gulftown gonna be? If it is not $266 or less in the next 12 months, then honestly it won't matter to me.

Now if it hits $266 in 18-24 months - great. But at 18mo's out so many things have already changed and 1.5 years is plenty for a stop-gap solution.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
aigo - I bought my i5 merely as a "stop-gap" measure. The real important question is how much is the gulftown gonna be? If it is not $266 or less in the next 12 months, then honestly it won't matter to me.

Now if it hits $266 in 18-24 months - great. But at 18mo's out so many things have already changed and 1.5 years is plenty for a stop-gap solution.

Wont happen... your going to need an x58 board as well if you dont already have one, and thats another 200

*edit*

There MIGHT be a severely castrated gulftown at the end of your 24 month upgrade cycle for ~266, but its going to be stripped of something. I.e. You can find bloomsfield chips for 200 new. Unfortunately they are only dual core and have 4mb l3$

Last edited:

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000

Wishful thinking.
Gulftown won't be anything less than $999.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
Wishful thinking.
Gulftown won't be anything less than $999.
Within 18 months its probable. Im still thinking there'll be a 550 version at- or just after- launch. Depends on yields, but 32nm should be fairly mature by Q2.

Regardless, no i5 board could handle a gulftown, and within 18 months the main benefits of gulftown (32nm >2 core) will be handled by sandy at a much better price point.

mav451

Jan 31, 2006
I realize Gulftown won't work on a P55 board - that wasn't my point. My point is that people are buying the P55 platform for its value and bang-for-buck. Hardly the ideal audience who is interested in XE-tier pricing if the Gulftown is released at $999 and has no chance of dropping to reasonable levels for at least 1 to 2 years.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
dude guys the xe gulftown will be expensive.

the xeon gulftown will be biteable...

266 for gulftown kinda made me laugh.. if thats the case.. u made the right choice in a p55.

biteable means like 599 ish... near the price of a 950. That is what i heard.. not 100 percent sure...

still brings to the fact.. if ur tight on budget, gulftown is not for you... but there fast nice and cool. :p

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
LGA1156 people HAVE NO gulftown option.
Infact i dont even think you guys are gonna get a OCTO even.

You guys will be limited to quads + IGP's at best, and miss out on the higher cored processors.

While LGA1366 will have it in 4-6 months.
After a short introduction on the XE Gulftown, a cheaper one will come out.
Well not budget class, but a decient priced class available as a Xeon.

And like what ikhan said, the X58 is basically a gamer server board, so that puppy Xeon will work in it. :)
And oh yes, all of them love voltage, and scale rediciulously high, like how yorkfields did.

So a low multi gulftown will probably get = if not better then your current i7 920. :)
And they dont heat up very much at all either, until u go benchmark suicide happy.

What I want to know where all these people are getting more inside information then i am...
I dont think intel will implement a socket change until 22nm.
I did hear of a rumor on a X68 but this was after USB3.0 and Sata3 was finally implemented, along with 10G lan.
But not until all 3 was implemented.

I heard intel wants to merg the ultra high end gamers with enterprise tho.
This could mean bad news, as enterprise is hella expensive. But were seeing that right now.

:p the 5500 series were given an upgrade in boards.. and are now called 5520.
I dont know exactly what they did, but they did some tweeks me thinks..

I need to investigate more on what this 20 addon exactly is.

But i finally got my dually back. Gonna reset her up. :)

You know whats funny... i told people no 32nm until next year.
I even made a bet with IDC on that comment. Because of the flames i took from that comment.

IDC i won. :p
You now need to call me the dark lord of intel for 2010. :p

LOL...

What sucks most is that PC gaming is ridiculously nerfed thanks to 12 year olds with an Xbox 360. Intel is stupid if they think gamers are going to keep buying $500 mobos and $1000 CPUs. PC gaming isn't what it was back in 2000. I honestly don't know any gamer who spends $1000 on a CPU. Most high end gamers going for SLI rigs, at least the ones who build it themselves, are also going for value in the CPU market because they know the video card will help more than a faster CPU for almost every game. That same supposed high-end gamer will overclock a lower end cpu and buy high end video cards more often than not.

Intel trying to bunch the gamers into server/enterprise price brackets is a bad, bad, bad move. Think about how many people will say "screw it, I like my PC for FPS games but the new Call of Duty is more fun on Xbox Live" and just move on. Inflation aside, I thought as technology improves, prices were supposed to come down on that technology not go up. I think Intel just got greedy because everyone was buying cheap Core2 CPUs and clocking them up. The bad thing for Intel is if they start pushing everyone into buying ultra expensive parts to get gaming performance, those loyal customers might go over to AMD for a better value. Intel thinks they can strong arm everyone, and right now they basically can because AMD's alternative is not much threat performance wise. However, judging on some of the ideas and technical notes about AMD's 2011 roadmap, I'd rethink this idea about "all high end gamers can afford $2k computers" unless they know something we don't. I mean all it would take is for AMD to have a product for less money that performs the same (or possibly better who knows) in games and Intel lost a whole lot of sales.

Here's the thing. Why are you buying a CPU now if you are looking at another CPU later? Don't you guys know something better is always "coming soon"?

Buy what you can use now and forget about later until you feel the need to upgrade again. To me, $500+ on a CPU is no value at all, and I'm sure to many others too. I can't think of anyone that would think an i7 @ 3.8-4Ghz is slow and needs more right now.

As for rumors etc, yeah I hear all kinds of stuff which is why I never marked any of it as pure fact. I however would not be surprised if Intel dropped one or the other socket completely to streamline things. However, if they truely are trying to push what you call "high end gamers" into the enterprise price segment then locking 1156 out of more advanced CPUs might be smart from their perspective. The price difference between i7 920 systems and i7 860 systems are not great and for a non-overclocker I think the 1156 platform offers more, but like we all know there are differences like PCIe limitations (8x/8x only on P55 unless you buy a board with nForce 200 chip and then you're already in x58 pricing for the mobo) & more voltage required for overclocking.

Last edited: