Thinking to run for City council any tips?

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
So this morning i was talking to a couple of friends and saying how excited i was that im turning 18 in october and that ill be old enough to vote.... a friend of mine suggest that I run for city council jokingly but now thinking about it, it sounds like a good idea

So i was looking for tips any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Im planning on running here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Hill,_Georgia

http://www.cityofsugarhill.com...nt/50/113/default.aspx

Another friend of mine is running here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suwanee,_Georgia

http://www.suwanee.com/cityhall.councilmembers.php

Edit: I decided not to run but to support the friend, the more of us helping him the better

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Even if you run as a joke and somehow win, understand that you will be expected (and obligated) to perform the office to the best of your abilities. This means understanding the city budget , endless meetings, people blaming you because the pothole in front of their house wasn't filled, dealing with declining revenues as the housing bubble pops, addressing the city worker retirement system, finding money to re-roof the library even though the police chief is telling the local paper that if his department doesn't get that money babies in your town will be born naked. The fun parts don't seem all that fun and the parts that suck seem to take a lot of time. But if you are willing to serve, good luck to you.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Originally posted by: ironwing
Even if you run as a joke and somehow win, understand that you will be expected (and obligated) to perform the office to the best of your abilities. This means understanding the city budget , endless meetings, people blaming you because the pothole in front of their house wasn't filled, dealing with declining revenues as the housing bubble pops, addressing the city worker retirement system, finding money to re-roof the library even though the police chief is telling the local paper that if his department doesn't get that money babies in your town will be born naked. The fun parts don't seem all that fun and the parts that suck seem to take a lot of time. But if you are willing to serve, good luck to you.

Politics is some thing i have always been interested, and this town is kinda small their is no library no post office no police... just people bitching about how too many stop signs will give them a heart attack....

thanks for the good luck wish

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: alfa147x

Politics is some thing i have always been interested, and this town is kinda small their is no library no post office no police... just people bitching about how too many stop signs will give them a heart attack....

No cigars or interns? :(

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Ozoned

I dont get it...

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
If you want to run just do what the other politicians do, promise everyone buckets of money.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004

I dont get it...
Sorry, you are a little young to understand all of the benefits of being a politician.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005

I dont get it...
Sorry, you are a little young to understand all of the benefits of being a politician.

Ok i Might understand it...

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004

I dont get it...

Heh

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005

I dont get it...

Heh

lol

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
I wouldn't try to attain an office that high at your age, while that seems meager, try running for Precinct Delegate or Election Judge. Do this for a cycle or 2 to show people you care about the politics enough to work for free.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Tips? Follow the two major parties. You offer the people the treasury and you?ll win. Stray from that, and good luck.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I act as treasurer (very time consuming, thankless job) for a local third party that has held the town council in a town of very similar size. Thumbnail sketch:

-expect to pour some of your own money (probably a grand, more ot less) of your own money into the campaign. Outside of corruption, you won't get it back.

-expect to spend the vast majority of your nonworking hours from mid-summer on either on the phone, door to door or hanging out in front of the supermarket pressing the flesh (in a non-Clinton way) and chatting up your neighbors. Added bonus-you must be able to keep a straight face and a look of serious concern when potential voters start talking about alien invasions, etc.

-if you have ever done anything stupid in your life (vandalism as a 13 yo, smoking pot with locals, a particularly tacky romantic breakup, etc.) forget it unless it won't bother you to have this be the main topic of discussion in your town for the rest of your life.

-if elected-and this is no exaggeration, expect to spend at least one full night a week in council meetings and two to three times as much time in auxiliary meetings, preparation, etc. I'd strongly suggest sitting in on a few of those meetings now. The typical town meeting is a cross between the interest level of a high school physics class (or English composition, for you mathematically inclined) coupled with the rants of the local gadfly who has attended every meeting for decades.

It can be a fulfilling and rewarding position, but definately not something to take on a whim.