Thinking of upping to 2000+

culex

Jul 26, 2000
I apologize if this question's been done to death.

I have a 1.4 GHz Tbird non-XP core running in my rig right now and I want to upgrade to something around XP 2000+ atleast for the time being until I decide to completely build a new rig in a year.
So how much of a performance gain will I have once I upgrade? I'd like to know in terms of gaming (most of the recent 3D games), and overall system performance.

I'm not thinking of upgrading but if I do upgrade, anybody have an idea how much I can go w/ XP 2000+ Tbred, Crucial PC2100's, on an Epox 8K7A?

Also, what hsf should I get if I were to overclock and which one if I wasn't to overclock?

Thanks alot.

455Buick

Nov 26, 2002
Hi Culex,

Over at Toms hardware ( www.tomshardware.com ) they've completed a comparision of 65 cpu's, Intel and AMD. Your T-bird is listed there along with the XP2000. You could look over the charts and make an educated decision from there. If memory serves me right you'll see from 15 -25% increase. I also think that will be noticeable.

As for the heatsink. Whether you overclock or not, the Thermalright SLK 800 is very good (pricey) or Volcano 9 by Thermaltake. I've used both and both are very good.

I hope this helped, :)

bergenvr6

Mar 2, 2003
I would get a 2100+ Tbred B, around $95 free shipping from newegg. I just picked one up and right out of the package i'm running it at 166FSB, 13 multi = 2158MHz.

I've also got a Thermalright SLK-800 with a 92mm fan right above the heatsink, idle temps are 34 celcius.