Thinking of trying cigars: UPDATE: Bought 3 UPDATE: Smoked 1.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Thorny
I prefer Don Tomas, Olar Fuerta and Rocky Patel. Cigar's are personal, you'll have to search for the ones that suit you. Order a combo pack, perhaps one with a cheap humidor, to get started.

mmmmmmmm rocky patel is a very nice smoke :D

msi1337

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
dont smoke, there is no benefit to it and it will not in any way make you cooler than you already are.

peer pressure is a b!tch when it comes from within

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: msi1337
dont smoke, there is no benefit to it and it will not in any way make you cooler than you already are.

you have had people peer pressure you into smoking CIGARS???

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
this is like saying you want to try pounding your face with a brick while wearing a pocket protector. you'll get a rush, but no one will think you are cool, and in the long run you will regret it.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Ahhh....cigars. Nothing like a raging trash fire burning 5" from your face.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
so here is what i got, 3 cigars, all CAO.

the store i went to was amazing, over 900 cigars, all in humidors, a smoking lounge, etc.

got a one blade guillitene.

a lil humidor baggy

CAO CX2
CAO Cameroon
CAO Maduro.

howd i do?

kingtas

Aug 26, 2006
Go down to your friendly neighborhood tobacconist and lay down $15 for a nice size Padron Anniversary Maduro. Light it up with matches or a butane lighter and take the smoke into your mouth and nostrils. Let the smoke fill your sinus tract. You will love the taste and catch a legal buzz.

Closest thing to heaven besides women and a lot cheaper in the long run.

kingtas

Aug 26, 2006
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
so here is what i got, 3 cigars, all CAO.

the store i went to was amazing, over 900 cigars, all in humidors, a smoking lounge, etc.

got a one blade guillitene.

a lil humidor baggy

CAO CX2
CAO Cameroon
CAO Maduro.

howd i do?

I like Cameroon wrappers. Their yummy. Try these in any thick ring gauge. A little pricey but they're some of the best.

Arturo Fuente Don Carlos (it's a Cameroon)
Any Arturo Fuente OpusX
Padron Anniversary Maduro

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Big money man. There are a lot of cigars that are just as full bodied and full flavored (if not more so) than CAO's for far cheaper.

Once you get used to the maduro wrappers, if you think you're up for a more full bodied cigar, check out my favorites: El Rey de Mundo, la Gloria Cubana (I had a reserve series 5 last week that was amazing) and finally Partagas Black.

I like to think of myself as a reasonably well traveled cigar smoker. If you're smoking CAO's, youre in my neighborhood, but I like a slightly lower price point. If you want to talk more indepth, PM me.

The only time I really prefer CAO is for the cigarellos, which are my preferred winter cigar. (I'm almost strictly an outdoor smoker)

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Thanks after school special guy. :roll:

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004

Good to hear that not all of the class slept through DARE.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
For all the people saying smoking cigars isn't cool.

All I can say is that you guys are crazy.
I really hate to say it, because it does sound horribly cliche, but seriously, smoking cigars is pimp as hell.
<---Not in highschool; hell, didn't even smoke in highschool

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Umberger
DO NOT get one from the local gas station for a dollar.
Unless we're talking about a Honey Vanilla Dutchmaster or The Game Whiteowl and it's not going to be smoked in sold form. :cool:

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: tweakmm
Unless we're talking about a Honey Vanilla Dutchmaster or The Game Whiteowl and it's not going to be smoked in sold form. :cool:

Dutch Masters are awesome cigars, for both smoking and rolling.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Rock Hydra

Smoking...no. Rolling...pretty much the only way to fly, except, of course, for the aforementioned Games'.
The Honey Game's have given the Dutchies a run for their money.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
I've been entertaining the idea of getting a humidor for a while and this thread just makes me want to get one more.
Damn you bastards, I have better uses for my money!!!

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000

Smoking...no. Rolling...pretty much the only way to fly, except, of course, for the aforementioned Games'.

bah, screw blunts, just use papers.

hemp papers require a loose roll but will smoke nicely, very very very hard burn when rolled tight.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001

hemp papers require a loose roll but will smoke nicely, very very very hard burn when rolled tight.
Trust me, a leaf blunt(dutch,game) burns at least half as fast as papers.

When one's talking about things worth their weight in gold, one should want to maximize all that it possible.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000

Trust me, a leaf blunt(dutch,game) burns at least half as fast as papers.

When one's talking about things worth their weight in gold, one should want to maximize all that it possible.

i shall have to find dutch,game somewhere, and learn to roll better :D

bowls are best for these "tobacco" leafs IMO, so much less used for better outcome.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
OP: You did very good. The store seems to be nice from what you said, espcially since it has a smoking lounge. i STRONGLY encourage you to hang out there from time to time if you can, for multiple reasons:
1) you meet all kinds of different people (i now know 8 ppl that make over 600k/yr (doctors, lawyers, etc.) and i'm 20..) some people suck, some are cool. I get a lot of input from the guys down at my fav. smoke shop. Some are younger, most are older, so if you are younger, a lot of tips on just about anything (we usually speak about life in general, jobs, etc.) Its a good way to make friends and meet people. We usually play poker on the weekends, drink, etc. its fun as hell. if nothing else just sit around and laugh, people can be very interesting and humerous at times...especially when they are trying to ****** back, chill, and have a good smoke
2) you will learn a lot. about all kinds of things. obviously smoking will be something you will pick up on. eventually you will know how to cut, light, and smoke your favorite cigar how you like it. you will pick up on the differnt sizes, wrappers, flavors, etc. and become more knowlegeable about the product, therefore know what you will enjoy more
3) the more time you are there, the more you get to know the owner/employees...usually places like these respect loyal customers and offer some sort of discount or special, or even better, they will give you a cigar(s) from time to time just to sit and smoke with ya.
there are more but my brain is fried from this damn C++ program...

anywho...
dont smoke because someone else thinks its cool...if you think its cool, then do it...if its something you wana do...do it...do it because it makes you happy or makes you feel some sort of positive or relieving emotion...smoking is about experience not apperance (at least to me) if people tell you not to do it for whatver reason (even if it is true or not) just do whatever makes you feel good...i personally could give two fvcks if i get cancer and die when i'm older...i do it because it makes me happy...some will say i wont say the same thing when i'm old and dying, but i disagree. i may be in a lot of pain then, but i know how much happiness a simple thing such as a good smoke brought me in those earlier years, that alone will aid in my relief. if they give you ****** about hurting other people...just fvck them...there is no proof...its political BULLSH!T...but non the less...if possible..its best to respect their wishes and take your pleasures elsewhere...again, political BS is usually not worth the fight...

lmfao... /rant

ehhh anyways...all three of those are nice smokes...that bag should last you a good while...i suppose the only thing i've got to ask is what did you light it with and how? lol

ooo ...what did ya smoke first? :) always remeber yer first smoke, lol

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Journer
OP: You did very good. The store seems to be nice from what you said, espcially since it has a smoking lounge. i STRONGLY encourage you to hang out there from time to time if you can, for multiple reasons:
1) you meet all kinds of different people (i now know 8 ppl that make over 600k/yr (doctors, lawyers, etc.) and i'm 20..) some people suck, some are cool. I get a lot of input from the guys down at my fav. smoke shop. Some are younger, most are older, so if you are younger, a lot of tips on just about anything (we usually speak about life in general, jobs, etc.) Its a good way to make friends and meet people. We usually play poker on the weekends, drink, etc. its fun as hell. if nothing else just sit around and laugh, people can be very interesting and humerous at times...especially when they are trying to ****** back, chill, and have a good smoke
2) you will learn a lot. about all kinds of things. obviously smoking will be something you will pick up on. eventually you will know how to cut, light, and smoke your favorite cigar how you like it. you will pick up on the differnt sizes, wrappers, flavors, etc. and become more knowlegeable about the product, therefore know what you will enjoy more
3) the more time you are there, the more you get to know the owner/employees...usually places like these respect loyal customers and offer some sort of discount or special, or even better, they will give you a cigar(s) from time to time just to sit and smoke with ya.
there are more but my brain is fried from this damn C++ program...

anywho...
dont smoke because someone else thinks its cool...if you think its cool, then do it...if its something you wana do...do it...do it because it makes you happy or makes you feel some sort of positive or relieving emotion...smoking is about experience not apperance (at least to me) if people tell you not to do it for whatver reason (even if it is true or not) just do whatever makes you feel good...i personally could give two fvcks if i get cancer and die when i'm older...i do it because it makes me happy...some will say i wont say the same thing when i'm old and dying, but i disagree. i may be in a lot of pain then, but i know how much happiness a simple thing such as a good smoke brought me in those earlier years, that alone will aid in my relief. if they give you ****** about hurting other people...just fvck them...there is no proof...its political BULLSH!T...but non the less...if possible..its best to respect their wishes and take your pleasures elsewhere...again, political BS is usually not worth the fight...

lmfao... /rant

ehhh anyways...all three of those are nice smokes...that bag should last you a good while...i suppose the only thing i've got to ask is what did you light it with and how? lol

ooo ...what did ya smoke first? :) always remeber yer first smoke, lol

i chewed on the CX2, does that count?

im planning on wednesday, not sure which. will prolly use a butane lighter.

ill prolly go there, and pull out a book for my test on thursday (psych) and read it. maybe it will keep me awake (i fall asleep anytime i pull a book out to read)

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
i chewed on the CX2, does that count?

im planning on wednesday, not sure which. will prolly use a butane lighter.

ill prolly go there, and pull out a book for my test on thursday (psych) and read it. maybe it will keep me awake (i fall asleep anytime i pull a book out to read)

haha...noy quiet
u WILL use a butane lighter, lol
this is another good thing about smoking in the lounge, they usually have lighters there, free for use...so you wont need to buy one, but if you, i'm sure they will have plenty...
it takes a couple minds, but once the chemicals get into your system it should help you stay awake, at least a little...when i stay up all night...ill usually drink a cup of coffee or two and have me a decent cigar or smoke mah pipe...

anywho...keep us updated :)
OH...and if you find you REALLY ...i mean REALLY like smoking cigars...you might wana invest 10 bucks in a little book...i cent remeber WTF they are called but i'm syure the shop can get u one. anywho, its a little book that holds you smoke info...you paste the wrapper onto the provided area, give the name and details of the cigar, then what you thought about it , raiting, etc....to help aid your future purchases :)
i forogt to mention, but i suppose the only real downside to smoking in the lounge, often, is you may end uip spending a good bit on cigars, lol so watch ur budget :)

gl