Thinking of RMAing my HD4850, unsatisfied.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002

if he enjoyed it so much, then shouldnt he have done research prior to buying the card to make sure it was compatible with the software?

Buttons

Oct 6, 2007
Part of the problem is it's nearly impossible to get Blender support. The only forum I've found is mainly used for posted completed projects, and doesn't even have a tech issues section to the forum. I've not had any help from them. I am further frustrated by the fact that others seem to run the program just find with 4850's and Cat8.8. I have a P5Q Pro motherboard and some ram, what more is there to consider? Vista 64 bit may have something to do with it, but I have crazy problems in Linux as well.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: wwswimming
similar glitches occur with non-open source programs like 3D Max & Maya.

i suggest using hardware that's been out for for a year +, so that the
vendors have time to debug the various issues.

switching to a new nVidia card may or may not solve the problem.

a team or Blenderer's made a decent half hour animation
http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/

the one thing you notice is that the grass is all still. i don't know
if they're using image maps, or if the hair is not "key-frame-able"
(capable of motion).

it's still some pretty decent 3D software.

I had issues with Maya 6.5 with my old 9800Pro, but not with my x800xl. Recently switched the x800xl with a 7900gs and began having an annoying issue(Maya quits rendering until focus is removed from it, then it renders again for awhile). Even the issues with Maya/ATI were quite minor and none I had or heard about were issues of crashing. They were mostly just minor Rendering issues.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Buttons
I recently built a computer with a HD4850 as the GPU. It performed well in the few games I tried, but I enjoy using a program called Blender which is a free 3d modeling program. After working with the card for weeks, I am unable to get it to run Blender properly. I know it's related to the GPU (or rather, the drivers) because when I reinstall the drivers Blender will at least run, but once I perform the reboot after the driver install then Blender goes back to crashing instantly. I've never had trouble using this program using nVidia cards.
P5Q Pro
Q6600
4 gig ram
(HD4850)

I hate to let go of the 4850 because it was such a great deal (so it seemed). Do you think I should go with a nVidia card? I suppose there is always a chance that it will still not work. What nVidia card is comparable with the 4850?

Should I splurge for a gtx 260?

Would it be possible to use both an nVidia and a ATI GPU in the same case? (This would probably create a whole new set a problems.)

There is always the "just wait an get a new card in 6-8 months when the market is completely different" option.

Thanks for hearing me out. I have to decide soon as the return policy will expire. :(

Try some older Drivers first, probably will fix the issue until AMD gets OGL functioning in New Drivers again.