Thinking of quitting my job and starting my own business

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I enjoyed my job up untill last week. I am a Property Manager. One of my bosses and I started arguing with each other (see here) and although I tried to end it nicely, it doesn't seem like it's going to end. They are not firing me by any stretch of the imagination. However, I don't think I will be able to enjoy working there any longer.

I'm thinking of leaving and starting my own company. I'm tired of working my ass off for people who don't even appreciate it. I'd rather make the money myself than make money for people that I don't even like. I am now consulting with people whom I respect businesswise about this idea.

essasin

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
I am not sure how old your are but if you have a great deal of financial obligation I would suggest you keep your day job and tough it out, in the meantime slowly work your own business in your free time until your confident it work out for you. But, if your single, have no kids, and no other finacial responsibilities I say quit and go for it.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Will you be doing something similar to what you do now, or trying a completely different venture?

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: essasin
I am not sure how old your are but if you have a great deal of financial obligation I would suggest you keep your day job and tough it out, in the meantime slowly work your own business in your free time until your confident it work out for you. But, if your single, have no kids, and no other finacial responsibilities I say quit and go for it.

I'm 27, single with no obligations besides for rent, car payments and insurance payments.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: isasir
Will you be doing something similar to what you do now, or trying a completely different venture?
Related, but not exactly the same thing.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: fbrdphreak
So what's your idea for your company specifically? I promise I won't steal it :p

Construction/real estate related. Figure it out. :)

blahblah99

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000

Good advice. Before you quit your job, make sure you have everything ready to go. Otherwise, it could take up to 3 or 4 months before you get all the legwork ready to make some money.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: ThePresence
So what's your idea for your company specifically? I promise I won't steal it :p

You're going to make custom computers?! :shocked:

Sweet! :cool:

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: blahblah99

Good advice. Before you quit your job, make sure you have everything ready to go. Otherwise, it could take up to 3 or 4 months before you get all the legwork ready to make some money.

Yes, that's obviously the way to go. But in this kind of job it would be impossible for me to keep my current job and start this one on the side. These are not desk/computer jobs.

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: aplefka

You're going to make custom computers?! :shocked:

Sweet! :cool:

No dummy, he is going to repair flashlights. Duh.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

There are dozens of possibilities.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs

There are dozens of possibilities.

I know, but I don't want to get more specific at this point.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
You are going to buy apartments or houses cheap needing repair, fix them and then profit???

bret

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2001
better off tryint to start a business while you still have your job, because if it doesnt work out.. your fvcked

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: bret
better off tryint to start a business while you still have your job, because if it doesnt work out.. your fvcked

Scroll up 5 posts.