Thinking of grad school and the money...

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
Ok, I'm looking at three vastly different routes...
1. Stay in MD and attend UMD and use stipend on a new car (Lexus IS). Will have to live at home :(
2. Go to out of state school and live off stipend like a bum, but the schools I'm looking at are a bit better then UMD.
3. Go to England get PhD in 3 years, be broke in the process, come back to states and work.

What would you guys do?

Britboy

Jul 25, 2001
3. for the win, of course I would say that! Seriously though, I think it would be great for your resume, not to mention an awesome life experience

Where in England?

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Britboy
3. for the win, of course I would say that! Seriously though, I think it would be great for your resume, not to mention an awesome life experience

Where in England?

Southside!

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
At this time, am I safe to assume that your choices have all arrived?
UMD isn't terribly bad, is it?

I would save the stipend for something else though - having a Lexus in College Park seems too "bling" in the neighborhood and among your fellow peers.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
phD in 3 years? Dont mean to be mean, but thats pretty optimistic - esp if you do not know who your potential advisor will be.

Grad school isnt meant to be a fun time with wealth :)

Go with what you think will jumpstart and keep your career moving.

Or you could be super poor and go the MD-PhD route that one of my buddies is doing.

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Parasitic
At this time, am I safe to assume that your choices have all arrived?
UMD isn't terribly bad, is it?

I would save the stipend for something else though - having a Lexus in College Park seems too "bling" in the neighborhood and among your fellow peers.

UMD is definitely above average. But I have the chance of attending some pretty darn good schools like Univ of Rotchester, UPenn, and UCBerkley. I'm also a car snob and can't help but gush over the IS's. I'm not too concerned about my peers, the car is for myself if I do decide to stay. In addition, I've also seen quite a few nice cars around the campus like a few M3's and other IS's.

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: Tiamat
phD in 3 years? Dont mean to be mean, but thats pretty optimistic - esp if you do not know who your potential advisor will be.

Or you could be super poor and go the MD-PhD route that one of my buddies is doing.

The British system is totally different from the US system. They push you very hard in Working. ;) I was on the MD/PhD route actually, but I realized that I was obtaining the MD for the wrong reasons i.e. power, respect, and adulation from peers.

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
Have you visited all these schools?
You have only until April 15 to make your decision.

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
#1. (or instead of a car get a roommate and move out somewhere close to campus within walking distance with the stipend money)

An education is what you make of it--regardless of where you go.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: James3shin

The British system is totally different from the US system. They push you very hard in Working. ;) I was on the MD/PhD route actually, but I realized that I was obtaining the MD for the wrong reasons i.e. power, respect, and adulation from peers.

They push us pretty hard stateside in the Ph.D. programs as well, it just isn't possible to finish in three years...at least in the program in which I'm enrolled. Not that I'm at all doubting the British system (quite to the contrary, actually), just stating that whichever way you go, you'll likely be working your a$$ off.

Edit: I should clarify that if you're coming in with a Master's, and you aren't required to complete a one-year internship, then a 3-year Ph.D. MIGHT be doable, assuming a good number of your credits transfer (which doesn't often happen).

As for your options, I'd say a lot of it depends on your field of study and the degree of fit between you and the various schools. How well you get along with your peers and, most importantly, your advisor is drastically more important than the location or reputation of your particular program.

I'd agree with another poster that if you go with option 1, though, save the extra money for the time being. If it still seems feasible to pick up the IS after a year or two into the degree, then go for it.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001

european PhDs as a whole are a bit less demanding, but this depends on the school and program

Cooler

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2005
I know some places will let you be a TA if you are going for higher level degree and will cut your cost in about 1/2.

GoSharks

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 1999
I would think that the strength of the grad program is far more important than having that car NOW. You can't hold off for a few years?

Dec 10, 2005
Go to the best grad school (and the one you like the most) and screw the car. Grad school >>> car.

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Go to the best grad school (and the one you like the most) and screw the car. Grad school >>> car.

seriously. You'll be too busy in the library/lab to enjoy your car, and on the weekend you'll rather be drinking/experiencing the city/sports/activities/etc then to drive around. Live close to campus and your car will be a nonissue. I'm in my car for a 6 minute commute..and I can tell you nobody cares

mrkun

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2005
Ok, I'm looking at three vastly different routes...
1. Stay in MD and attend UMD and use stipend on a new car (Lexus IS). Will have to live at home :(
2. Go to out of state school and live off stipend like a bum, but the schools I'm looking at are a bit better then UMD.
3. Go to England get PhD in 3 years, be broke in the process, come back to states and work.

What would you guys do?

What field are you planning to get a PhD in?

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
If you go to grad school in the sciences, you pretty much get paid to go to school. Free tuition and a fat stipend to live off of. No 2nd job =)

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001

I take it this is a PhD in a science field? Obviously it depends on the university and your advisor, but in general, scientific research in europe isn't the same quality as in the US. Additionally, your PhD in 3 years wouldn't mean anything unless you had publications.