Thinking of getting a treadmill

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Looking to spend $400-500 on one but at that price range it's probably going to be crappy so I'm currently looking at used ones. Anyone here own or use one quite often care to give me some pointers?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Cons:
* Just go outside and walk/jog and save yourself a lot of money.
* They break frequently with expensive repairs.
* Many people don't use them more than a few times total.
* No scenery (compared to real walking/jogging) makes it boring as hell.

Pros:
* It is safer to use if you live in a bad area, and you can use it when the weather sucks.
* The money you pay may convince you to finally work out.
* You can watch TV while using it, which might get couch potatoes to finally work out.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Pro:

If you buy a used one and find you've used it 3 times after a month, you can sell it in the same place you bought it for about the same money!

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Look at one that you can hang alot of clothes on. Because that is what it usually turns into :)

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: jtvang125
Looking to spend $400-500 on one but at that price range it's probably going to be crappy so I'm currently looking at used ones. Anyone here own or use one quite often care to give me some pointers?

You live in Cali, so there has to be tons of health clubs around. Join one of those for a year for the same money (probably less).

Or since the weather's nice, just run outside (unless you live in Compton or something).

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Home workouts never usually work for me. Actually going to the gym gives me the environment to push me to workout.

blamb425

Mar 30, 2007
Coming from a track/xc athlete:

running outside will help you much more. there is much more resistance offered on the ground, thus making it tougher to run and it'll help get you in better shape. running outside also gives you some fresh air, and saves you money.

unless of course, you have the cash to blow off, and are just looking for an easy jog

SuperNaruto

Aug 24, 2006
i ran outside and on treadmill before..

my ankle and knee can't stand outside... too hard for me.. had to use treadmill... on treadmill i can run about 7-10 miles a day... outside 2-3 mile and my knee acts up..

sure its free.. but check the repair cost of a knee cap first...