Thinking of ditching Ubuntu, what to use now ?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by hhhd1, Nov 13, 2012.

1. hhhd1

hhhd1 Senior member

I tried to get used to ubuntu's weird interface, but I am fed up, I am looking at:

Linux Mint
    Xubuntu
    Lubuntu

Which should I pick and why , or something else?

It is important to:
    1. be compatable with ubuntu's repository of apps, so I can install and do the same configuration as ubuntu.
    2. low resource usage, need an interface that doesn't use much cpu.

Usage:

Currently I run ubuntu12.04 in vmware player with 2gb hd space, as a live usb with 1.2gb of the space is used for persistent file, (so that the live cd would act as a real installation, and allow setting up few applications and configurations).

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Thinking ditching Ubuntu Forum Date
    Anyone think about using Windows 10 Enterprise edition to disable telemetry? Operating Systems Apr 27, 2017
    Creators Update So What Do I Think Operating Systems Apr 13, 2017
    Windows 10 alerted me of sector failure I think on a hard drive Operating Systems Aug 2, 2015
    Setting to change when windows thinks a program is not responding? Operating Systems Apr 29, 2015
    Is there any reason to ditch Windows XP?? Operating Systems Oct 2, 2009

3. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

I'm a big Debian fan, but you need to be prepared to do a little more upfront work to get it setup the way you want.

4. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

PCLinuxOS. All sorts of variants, especially the popular MiniMe. It's been an endearing equity of sweat for longer than I care to admit.

5. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

Keep Ubuntu, and install a different interface. No point in wiping your install just to change fit/finish.

6. ScoobMaster

ScoobMaster Platinum Member

try peppermint. It is pretty much what you described. Small, lightweight, based on Mint and uses the Ubuntu repositories. It is elegant in what it does and boots VERY quick.

http://www.peppermintos.com

7. Paperlantern

Paperlantern Platinum Member

I like peppermint, it's a good suggestion, but I like mint better.

8. hhhd1

hhhd1 Senior member

Ok,

Debian is an overkill for what I need, I prefer it for servers when stability is more important than 'desktop' type application support (ubuntu-restricted-extras ..etc)

I am now trying to decide between Xubuntu and Peppermint, (both based on 12.04)

Installed both on a 2.2gb partition, both of them ended up using the same amount of space on a compressed brtfs partition (about 1.6gb), and similar resources used.

Peppermint has much better selection of pre-installed software.

Not sure how much customization exactly has been done from ubuntu to peppermint, I have got the same sources in /etc/apt/sources.list , just like a regular ubuntu 12.04, which probably means not much customization except for desktop environment and application selection, is that correct ?

#7 hhhd1, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012