thinking of buying a used snowboard

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
so i started snowboarding last month and i really like the sport. now is around the end of the season and lots of stuff are going on sale... i saw something similar to this for $50 with burton bindings:

a similar board on ebay

so the actual board is a 156cm, and im 5'10 and 180lbs. im just starting to board so i guess i should look for a freeride board but i think this is a freestyle board.

so now my questions are:

1) i know the chin-nose rule, but is 156cm a little too short for me? i just want to ride down the trails... not doing any tricks

2) it's a freestyle board. does it matter?

3) what signs should i look for wear/tear? the guy bought it used himself so i assume it'll be kind of old.

thanks!

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007
The 156 will be fine since you're not going to have to worry about spinning the board or anything like that. How old is that board and when do you plan on starting snowboarding? I personally would buy a new board, do you live in an area that has a winter sports convention/expo where they sell cheap boards and equipment?

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Mr Incognito
The 156 will be fine since you're not going to have to worry about spinning the board or anything like that. How old is that board and when do you plan on starting snowboarding? I personally would buy a new board, do you live in an area that has a winter sports convention/expo where they sell cheap boards and equipment?

i think the board has to be at least 5-6 years old or so... just started snowboarding last month and went 3 times thus far... and i went to my local ski shops but seems like most of the stuff are already clearenced out.
i just want a board that i can ride for maybe a year or two before i get better and get a new one. i just don't know what's considered to be acceptable condition.

Mr Incognito

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2007
That's a good plan. I don't know if the board should be that expensive but if he is telling the truth then the damage on it is accpetable. Mine is in much worse condition and I've only been riding on it for two or three years.

masshass81

Sep 4, 2004
Your best bet is to look locally and go see the actual board. You want to look at the edges and make sure there aren't any deep gouges in the board. Try looking through craigslist

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
I wouldn't bother with any of the used boards.

I just went to Colo last month and the local Garth Sports/Sports Authority last a bunch of great stuff for clearance.
Brand new quality boards were <$100.
Bindings and Boots were ~$50.

You can basically get a great setup for <$200.
I'd imagine it would even be cheaper once the season was over.

I was so tempted to buy another set but i already have 2 sets.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
that board looks real tiney on that love seat.
doesn't look like a 156cm.

what's your total budget for boots/bindings/board ?

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: isekii

yeah i also think it looks quite short in that pic... but the guy told me its a burton rippey mission 56 (156cm), and i can't find any recent info on that board at all so i assume it has to be older than 4 years old.

my budget... i just want a board to practice on and save on the rentals for next year (season's almost over), so i try to keep it as low as possible. preferably under $200... which sounds quite difficult.

i also have a question: my style is goofy, and all boards allow you to reverse the bindings, right?

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: sniperruff
Originally posted by: isekii

yeah i also think it looks quite short in that pic... but the guy told me its a burton rippey mission 56 (156cm), and i can't find any recent info on that board at all so i assume it has to be older than 4 years old.

my budget... i just want a board to practice on and save on the rentals for next year (season's almost over), so i try to keep it as low as possible. preferably under $200... which sounds quite difficult.

i also have a question: my style is goofy, and all boards allow you to reverse the bindings, right?

yea you can change the direction of the bindings,
I ride Goofy.

ygpm btw

badboyeee

Nov 12, 2001
156 sounds like a good size when first learning but when u get a lil better u probably want to go bigger a bit like 158-159... unless u want to do freestyle then 154-156 is good..

what size is your feet?? thats another important factor when choosing a board

under $200 for boots/bindings/board??? or just board??

i just bought a new set.. i can sell u my used beginner board for cheap.. if ur interested let me know.. you dont need to be too picky for your first board except on what size it is.. brand name aint so important

FleshLight

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2004
You will want to look at the edges for chipping or denting which may affect the ride, look at the base for any peeling or dents, and check the top layer for any separation. You also probably will want to get the board waxed ($10 in shop , ~$2 if you do it yourself with your own irion) and edged (another $10). I highly recommend Craigslist as there are many board/bindings packages for under $200. You just have to be patient. Season's almost over anyways.

OsoVerde

Dec 14, 2006
As other people have said, best to inspect a used board in person and check edges and bottom for wear and tear.

Rickten

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2001
if you have a sports authority close to you go check out what they have. Huge clearance right now. I got a 156 omatic todd richards for 119. I also have a burton seven and lib tech travis rice plus many older boards from past seasons. This $119 board has so much pop and good edge to edge control I couldn't believe how fun it was. I wouldn't feel ripped off paying 450-500 for this board. I went back and got a 154 Wiig for my nephew, which is basically the same board with just a little less flex.