thinking of buying a futon, anything i should know?

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
i've got 60" on one wall to work with, i want one of those convertable sofa ones...preferably wood frame. I was almost considering one of those just flat ones that don't convert, but the sofa aspect would be so convenient/cool

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I like futons as beds but hate them as couches. So I guess, if I was strictly looking for a bed, I might buy a futon, but if I was looking for a good comfortable couch, skip the futon.

Dunno if that helps...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
anything i should know?

Yeh, they will never, ever come anywhere close to being remotely as comfortable to sleep on as a normal bed.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
anything i should know?

Yeh, they will never, ever come anywhere close to being remotely as comfortable to sleep on as a normal bed.

I've slept in some extremely comfortable futon beds. But I'm not talking those foldout couches, I'm talking a real bed frame with a decently expensive futon mattress in the frame. Mmmm.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
anything i should know?

i dunno, i sleep on a 15yr old mattress, i'm sure it's more comforatable than that! My mom had a futon, it was pretty comfy......

bsically it's a compromise on both bed and sofa, but the fact it's both is ideal(i only have one room in which to occupy in this house)

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Make absolutely sure you spring for a mattress with a foam core. They are 100x more comfortable than a regular futon mattress.

<----slept on a futon bed for the last 10 years

Ladies Man

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
don't get a cheap metal

3 fat chicks bent the bar of my friends when they were sitting on it

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001

Agreed...and they will never, ever come anywhere close to being remotely as comfortable to sit on as a normal couch.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Originally posted by: skace
anything i should know?

I've slept in some extremely comfortable futon beds. But I'm not talking those foldout couches, I'm talking a real bed frame with a decently expensive futon mattress in the frame. Mmmm.

something like
this?

That's what my mom had, or very similar.......about how much are these things going to run me? i don't want something uber fancy

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Lithium381
something like
this?

That's what my mom had, or very similar.......about how much are these things going to run me? i don't want something uber fancy

Thats a couch. I HATE futon couches. Infact that is the exact same frame our couch had and the cushion was always sliding down on you. I'm not sure if we had the same exact cushion though.

I'd tell you, if I was looking for a couch, that would be that last thing I'd buy.

When I talked about comfortable futon beds, I was talking about real bed frames that do not fold back into couches at all. Good futon mattresses can feel so good to sleep on. They are somewhat rough and supportive its a different type of comfortable than a bed that you sink into.

OMGoddess

Banned
Jun 25, 2004
Depends on what kind of matress you get. The REALLY REALLY REALLY good ones are about 10" thick and are extremly comfortable, but are very pricy. ($400 just for the mat alone).

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I used to have one for a while when I was single and lived alone. Very comfortable and it only cost me about $150. It was nice because I moved a few times and all I had to do was take the legs off and fold the frame and pad up.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
something like
this?

Thats a couch. I HATE futon couches. Infact that is the exact same frame our couch had and the cushion was always sliding down on you. I'm not sure if we had the same exact cushion though.

I'd tell you, if I was looking for a couch, that would be that last thing I'd buy.

When I talked about comfortable futon beds, I was talking about real bed frames that do not fold back into couches at all. Good futon mattresses can feel so good to sleep on. They are somewhat rough and supportive its a different type of comfortable than a bed that you sink into.

Really i'm looking for soemthing to replace my bed, and i figured something that might fold easily into a couch would be sweet a space saving....i was also maybe considering something like
this but i dont' know if that would save me any space, it's actually going to be bigger than what i have no, i am on a twin size bed, quite small.....

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
so i actually went down to their store, sat around on a few....and i really liked
this frame and this futon

simple wood frame(i'd get the light color) and a nice spring mattress....with the cheapest cover they've got.....have it down 95% of the time in bed position and then just prop it up when i need it.....go for the queen size....so total sleeping room would be 60" x 85" or so.....given i'm on 40" x 75" it's a lot more room for me(and i'm 6'1~!!!)

opinions?

paruhd0x

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
Originally posted by: DemonHunter
Don't get them at Walmart.

Originally posted by: Ladies Man
don't get a cheap metal

3 fat chicks bent the bar of my friends when they were sitting on it

They are tellin the truth. I had a metal bar futon from walmart and it was bent/broken beyond repair in 6 months.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
so i actually went down to their store, sat around on a few....and i really liked
this frame and this futon

simple wood frame(i'd get the light color) and a nice spring mattress....with the cheapest cover they've got.....have it down 95% of the time in bed position and then just prop it up when i need it.....go for the queen size....so total sleeping room would be 60" x 85" or so.....given i'm on 40" x 75" it's a lot more room for me(and i'm 6'1~!!!)

opinions?

Sounds cool! Especially as long as you like it. Frame looks decent also.

May 18, 2004
My wife and I bought an expensive queen size futon for our guest bedroom. We anticipated my father-in-law and his wife visiting from out of town and sleeping over, so wanted it sized accordingly. We were hoping to maintain the room as an office the rest of the time, with the futon serving as a couch. The queen-sized futon seemed to be the best option.

As a bed, it's great. Very comfortable mattress. And my father-in-law (who is both very tall and fairly wide) fits comfortably with his wife as well. However, as a couch, it's almost unusable. Anyone who is not well over 6-feet tall sits with their feet dangling just over the edge, with their butts jammed way back into the "fold" of the mattress.

Also, even with large bedrooms in our house, the futon is so wide that there is room for only it plus one small night stand aside it.

...just a recommendation to check out the physical dimensions of the futon before buying, and make sure that you can deal with a piece of furniture that LARGE.

If it's going to be a bed almost all the time, maybe you're OK.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
something like
this?

Weird, I thought all futons converted into couches by definition. Why else would you want one?
I have one in my studio apartment and I love it. I got one with a very thick, heavy mattress and wood frame.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Originally posted by: courtjester123
However, as a couch, it's almost unusable. Anyone who is not well over 6-feet tall sits with their feet dangling just over the edge, with their butts jammed way back into the "fold" of the mattress.
Hah, well i'm over 6' :D I sat in it at the store and it was pretty comforatable

Also, even with large bedrooms in our house, the futon is so wide that there is room for only it plus one small night stand aside it.

...just a recommendation to check out the physical dimensions of the futon before buying, and make sure that you can deal with a piece of furniture that LARGE.

If it's going to be a bed almost all the time, maybe you're OK.

Yeah, it's replacing my current bed and i suppose i like the option of having it be a couch, otherwise i'd just opt for the permenant flat futon instead. I've already taken measurements, it should fit theoreticly. I live in one room of a house, and this is all the space i've got, a 11x11 room

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
futons are the least comfortable mattresses. If you want it remotely comfortable, you have to stack TWO futon mattresses on top of each other. There's nothing worse than feeling the metal or wooden bars rub against your bones through the thin mattress.

-=bmacd=-