Thinking about splitting my 2 story family room - poll inside

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I have a 2 story house - about 3640 sq ft livable space. My family room is an open two story room, about 20'x18'. On the West side of the room are 6 large windows (3 on bottom, 3 on top) and a half circle window above the top layer of windows. On the east side of the room is a catwalk/balcony that stretches from the north side to the south side, connecting a group of of 4 rooms to the staircase. The catwalk provides a stunning view of the night sky (I live in an acreage subdivision with no obstacles to the skyline). But the windows let in a lot of sunlight and heat (even though I tinted them last summer).

I'm seriously considering putting a floor from the catwalk to the windowed wall. I would have to change up the 2nd story windows somewhat, but I would add an additional 400 sq ft at bidded cost of about $12K. The downside is I lose the aesthetic quality of the open high ceiling (approx. 21' high) room. Should I do it.

Advantages:

- Added room at low cost (about $30 sq ft)
- Should cut down on heating and cooling costs as floor provides a natural barrier from 1st floor heat rising to 2nd floor and 2nd floor cooling falling to 1st floor.
- TV sound is kept downstairs
- Should increase equity at about $75/sq ft
- a sitting area will be created on second floor at the windows that provide a great view of the skyline
- Gives us ability to entertain in a "gameroom" setting (plan on a pooltable, lounge area, and some other things in this new room

Disadvantages:

- Lose aesthetic quality of open family room
- Lost view from catwalk (hell, lose catwalk)
- Could use the money to substantially pay down the Mazda 6i

I know it almost seems like a no brainer, but I'm trying to see if the aesthetic quality is worth keeping the house as is. Would a new home buyer be apt to enjoy the open 2 story family room or the upstairs entertainment room.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
pics?

I personaly looove rooms that are above the standard height, much more open and just, I want one :D

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Czar
pics?

I personaly looove rooms that are above the standard height, much more open and just, I want one :D

No pics, I'm at work, but I'll try to get some up tonight.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
First, that sounds like a hell of a house CPA. Secondy, if I were buying I would like the game room but I can't envision what the place looks like to begin with in your scenario so that may alter my opinion. If you don't mind missing out on paying more on the vehicle, by all means increase the value of your home.

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Instead of turning the catwalk into a room, you could widen it into a loft and still retain some of the openness into the second floor. Not sure if that would be worthwhile from an aethestic standpoint, though.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: FeathersMcGraw
Instead of turning the catwalk into a room, you could widen it into a loft and still retain some of the openness into the second floor. Not sure if that would be worthwhile from an aethestic standpoint, though.

I thought about this, but when I visioned it, it just didn't look right.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I like two-story great rooms and two-story foyers. I would keep it the way it is and spend that money on something fun.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
My wife and I are looking for a house. I personally like more room vs. high ceilings. Ceilings are pretty boring to look at from my perspective. So I would go for the extra room. Actually, I do like high ceilings in the entrance-way, but only if it does not substantially cut down on the square footage of the house. To compensate for lack of height inside, we are buying an oversize lot. That way, if we fill clostrophobic, we can go sit on the patio outside :D