Thinking about sitting in line for a PS3 (MGS4 bundle) on Wednesday afternoon.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
(preface: yes, I'm aware of my username, thanks. :D)

My story:

I bought a nice HDTV a few weeks back and shortly thereafter I decided to buy a PS3 (over the Xbox) to take advantage of Blu-Ray, which should help justify the cost of the TV to the girlfriend.

So then I decided to research the PS3 a bit before purchasing it and learned that the 80gb PS3/MGS4 bundle was coming in a few weeks on June 12. I have a large library of PS2 games and so it only made sense to wait for this new version which would be able to play them, unlike the 40gb version which is all that's available today. It's been absolute torture sitting here with a nice TV, an unopened copy of GTA4, and no system to play it on.

Long story short ---- I'm not waiting another day longer than necessary to get my PS3, so I'm going to wait in line for it at Walmart on Wednesday evening. I've browsed a ton of other forums and the people on there that work at retailers are giving me the impression that the MGS4 bundle will be available in very low quantities to start, but more will come in during the following weeks. I'm so not waiting more weeks.

Anyone have any advice or experiences they can relate to me about waiting in line for something like this? I know that people have camped out overnight for things, but I'm only going to need to do this for 4-5 hours and even that sounds like madness to me. I guess I'll bring a book? And an ass-cushion?

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Anyone have any advice or experiences they can relate to me about waiting in line for something like this?

Yeah, if you're going to spend all that time in line, make sure you get the MGS4 bundle.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I highly doubt the 80 GB bundle will be scarce. If it is, Sony is doing it on purpose. It's not like they don't have enough time to build PS3s or buy 80 GB hard drives, the old 80 GB version has been discontinued for months.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Kev
Anyone have any advice or experiences they can relate to me about waiting in line for something like this?

Yeah, if you're going to spend all that time in line, make sure you get the MGS4 bundle.

Thanks, fixed. I fail.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: RandomFool
I fail to see how spending another 400 dollars on a PS2 so you can buy more expensive (but prettier) DVDs justifies buying the TV.

It helps.

Girlfriend: "Why are we spending $2K on a TV again?"
Me: "Umm, so I can play modern games on a screen that doesn't suck?"
Girlfriend: "That's worth $2K?"
Me: "Here, watch your stupid movies in high def." /puts blu-ray movie in for her
Girlfriend: "OMG awesome!" /has sex with me

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
You don't need to justify your purchases to your girlfriend. Unless she has a ring on her finger, it's your money.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Oh come on guys... I know this. Do you have girlfriends/wives? You need to get points in here and there...

A PS3 was my choice over an xbox so we could have the capability of watching blu-ray movies on our nice new TV. And I would never buy movies. I hate the price of regular DVDs, let alone the absurd price of Blu-ray. That's what Netflix is for.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: mugs
I highly doubt the 80 GB bundle will be scarce. If it is, Sony is doing it on purpose. It's not like they don't have enough time to build PS3s or buy 80 GB hard drives, the old 80 GB version has been discontinued for months.

I agree that it shouldn't be scarce, so I don't know why people are saying things like, "My Gamestop is getting 2." Every place should be getting 300, imo.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Not a very warm reception here..

I felt awkward the first time too, but it quickly fades when you look and see that there are normal people with you.

...assuming they are normal people...

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
your gf sounds like a REAL bimbo.

anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if the 80gb is scarce.

Just like wiifit is scarce. Japanese companies send all their products over to the UK and Eur and when demand dies there, it will come here, thanks to the worthless US dollar.

Nintendo rerouted something like 500k wiifits this week over to Eur. to make more money :thumbsup: No stores had wiifit today in my area except best buy (but they had small amounts)

so what is this great deal coming wednesday? I haven't seen any worthwhile deals.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Don't mind Casio, he's a tad emo. Read up on his posts, it's good for a laugh at least, if not a cry for humanity as a whole.
Your girl sounds pretty average to me. Most women don't understand until they experience it, and still then alot don't get it. It's alot like every girlfriend I had in college asked why I had a few grand worth of car audio equipment in my car, but by the time we split they had asked me to hook them up because they enjoyed it so much.
Home theater has been the same way. They see it all and wonder why it's necessary. After a few movies, they don't want to go to the theater anymore because it's nicer at home! :)
I personally wouldn't sit in line for anything, but I'm patient.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I'm debating on doing the same thing. The Walmart stores in my area only have 6 of the new bundles in stock, and they were expecting more. Best Buy is opening at midnight, but I know it's going to be a madhouse. What to do? What to do? What to do....

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Originally posted by: CasioTech
ebay profit?

Yeah, there are quite a few already on ebay. People who were lucky enough to be able to pre order.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
your gf sounds like a REAL bimbo.

lol you crack me up man. My gf sounds like a real bimbo because I'd like to be able to show her Blu-Ray movies? :confused: Where the hell do you get this stuff from?

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
I decided to call Walmart just to talk to someone about the situation and try to feel them out. The guy I talked to in electronics said they have 8 bundles in the back, and he hinted strongly that at least half of them were presold to employees. /rage

Looks like I'll be lining up for one of 4 (or less) bundles available.

The Best Buy in my town isn't doing the midnight event:

list of locations

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Me: "Here, watch your stupid movies in high def." /puts blu-ray movie in for her

1. A very stupid woman; an airhead
That bimbo asked how much a free sample costs!

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002

Oh, I see. I gave you too much credit. You actually thought that purely hypothetical and exaggerated conversion actually took place. My bad man.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: xboxist
Oh come on guys... I know this. Do you have girlfriends/wives? You need to get points in here and there...

I'm married. Before we got engaged my wife didn't try to have any input into how I spent my money, but to each his own. ;)

Good luck getting your PS3, and just ignore CasioTech.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
When I was married and now with my current GF, I made it perfectly clear. I work, I pay bills, you work, you pay bills, I buy what I want, you buy what you want. I always keep finances seperate. When I was married I never had a joint bank account, CC, nada. Good thing too because my ex-wife owes 70k in CC debt and stopped paying her bills a year ago. If I was still married to her, even tho we had seperate everything, I could have gotten screwed, and not in a good way. My GF and I also have the same philosophy, everything seperate. If she needs help I help and vice-versa. But we never say you cant this or I cant get that. I work for my $$$ and so does she and as long as all is taken care of I buy what I want if I can. :)

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I don't know why you'd bother waiting in line, go buy it, ok, but waiting in line? The gunmetal grey is really nice I must admit, though I doubt there's a horde of PS3 lovers who were just waiting for MGS4.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy it once you get it:).

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Imp
I don't know why you'd bother waiting in line, go buy it, ok, but waiting in line? The gunmetal grey is really nice I must admit, though I doubt there's a horde of PS3 lovers who were just waiting for MGS4.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy it once you get it:).

The 80 GB bundle is the plain old piano black 80 GB that they discontinued a few months ago. The 40 GB bundle is gunmetal and is a limited release. I have no idea why the 80 GBs are selling for more than MSRP on eBay. It's not like the launch of a brand new console where supply is constricted. Sony has had months to stockpile enough for the MGS4 launch. People [edit: eBayers] are really stupid.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: xboxist

You actually thought that purely hypothetical and exaggerated conversion actually took place. My bad man.

yes... yes I did.

it did, didn't it.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Oyeve
When I was married and now with my current GF, I made it perfectly clear. I work, I pay bills, you work, you pay bills, I buy what I want, you buy what you want. I always keep finances seperate. When I was married I never had a joint bank account, CC, nada. Good thing too because my ex-wife owes 70k in CC debt and stopped paying her bills a year ago. If I was still married to her, even tho we had seperate everything, I could have gotten screwed, and not in a good way. My GF and I also have the same philosophy, everything seperate. If she needs help I help and vice-versa. But we never say you cant this or I cant get that. I work for my $$$ and so does she and as long as all is taken care of I buy what I want if I can. :)

how do you let your wife rack up 70k in CC debt?

What gives people the right to simply 'stop' paying their bills?

only in America!