Thinking about getting one of these dogs.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: thepd7
Doubtful that you will find a hypoallergenic small dog like my $1000 purebreed Havanese at the ASPCA or I would buy one. My little sister lives with my aunt and uncle and if I ever want my aunt to able to come over to my house (horrible allergies) my puppy has to be one of 5 breeds: Poodle (ugly), Havanese (what we went with), Maltese (not good with kids unless brought up with them), Bichon Frise (aunt already has one, apparantly that means my gf won't get one), or Chinese Crested (ugly). So some people have specific requirements for dogs that can't be met by mutts. Don't blame us for dying dogs, blame the irresponsible people who buy/breed/don't fix them.

Actually, a guy I know did just get a purebred Havanese at a rescue within the last month or two. He was specifically looking for hypoallergenic dogs. You just have to keep at it and look around. When I went up to Chicagoland over the Labor Day weekend, I saw a Golden Retriever Rescue have a large booth at one of the fairs. I was rather surprised that a highly regarded breed like them would have a need for a rescue society.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Born2bwire
Doubtful that you will find a hypoallergenic small dog like my $1000 purebreed Havanese at the ASPCA or I would buy one. My little sister lives with my aunt and uncle and if I ever want my aunt to able to come over to my house (horrible allergies) my puppy has to be one of 5 breeds: Poodle (ugly), Havanese (what we went with), Maltese (not good with kids unless brought up with them), Bichon Frise (aunt already has one, apparantly that means my gf won't get one), or Chinese Crested (ugly). So some people have specific requirements for dogs that can't be met by mutts. Don't blame us for dying dogs, blame the irresponsible people who buy/breed/don't fix them.

Actually, a guy I know did just get a purebred Havanese at a rescue within the last month or two. He was specifically looking for hypoallergenic dogs. You just have to keep at it and look around. When I went up to Chicagoland over the Labor Day weekend, I saw a Golden Retriever Rescue have a large booth at one of the fairs. I was rather surprised that a highly regarded breed like them would have a need for a rescue society.

Almost all popular breeds have rescues due to buyer's remorse.

Unfortunately some ppl insist their animals be euthanized rather than go to a new home. I know down here in S. Florida as retirees find out they can't have pets in their new condos there has been a lot of young animals put down for petty reasons.

Å

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
Cool looking dog but I bet it sheds a lot. Friend has a mutt that we think is half lab and akita and that dog sheds all year long.

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
If ya got it... spend it...

If it is worth it to you then to heck with everyone else.

Don't worry about the pound puppies, there is plenty of space left in the landfills.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: loup garou
Originally posted by: Kyle
if you get them from breeders they screen for the known health "defects" in the dogs so you might end up spending more than the cost down the road at the vet when the dog gets sick and he's part of your family. I'd pay a lot up front if I knew it had a better chance of living a longer, healthier life.
hahahahahahahahaha

how the hell did you find that so funny.
interesting.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
if you get them from breeders they screen for the known health "defects" in the dogs so you might end up spending more than the cost down the road at the vet when the dog gets sick and he's part of your family. I'd pay a lot up front if I knew it had a better chance of living a longer, healthier life.
hahahahahahahahaha

interesting.
You think purebreeds are healthier dogs. THAT is hilarious.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
hahahahahahahahaha

interesting.

They are screened (the parents) against the common defects that they CAN DETECT right away that will cause problems down the line...in retrievers it's hip problems. They get multiple tests and xrays done etc...
now tell me again...how is this hilarious?

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Born2bwire

I searched for one in Texas, couldn't find one. And I didn't have time, I had to get it in a 2 week window, I am lucky enough that I found a breeder.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
hahahahahahahahaha

interesting.

They are screened (the parents) against the common defects that they CAN DETECT right away that will cause problems down the line...in retrievers it's hip problems. They get multiple tests and xrays done etc...

not to defend loup, but just like all breeders have only champion bloodlines, they also 'test' for defects.

Unfortunately, unless they are testing your actual pup; you have no guarantees. As a matter of fact, both parents can test negative for anything, yet carry the recessive gene.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
hahahahahahahahaha

interesting.

not really true. many breeders do not give a ****** if it has health problems. ony the one's that are selling show quality dogs may.

my in-laws used to do brussal griffs and neo mastifs. many other breeders would sell to them because they do not want competition. So me and my wife would go buy them. Some of them are nothing more then puppy factory's.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
The dog looks cool :thumbsup: but I wouldn't spend that much on a dog personally.

Koing

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Originally posted by: Aimster
I got an Alaskan Malamute

for like $500 a few years ago. Puppy.

Be warned... shedding a lot

I had an Alaskan Malamute during my tennage years. It was the BEST dog I ever had. She would play fetch and was such a sweet dog. She was really good with kids also.

I just wanted to point out that whoever convinced you to buy a $1500 dog because it could play fetch must be a hell of a salesman.

You know every other dog in the universe can do that as well, right?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: homestarmy
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Originally posted by: Aimster
I got an Alaskan Malamute

for like $500 a few years ago. Puppy.

Be warned... shedding a lot

I had an Alaskan Malamute during my tennage years. It was the BEST dog I ever had. She would play fetch and was such a sweet dog. She was really good with kids also.

I just wanted to point out that whoever convinced you to buy a $1500 dog because it could play fetch must be a hell of a salesman.

You know every other dog in the universe can do that as well, right?

True but LikeLinus didn't say he paid $1500

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst
hahahahahahahahaha

interesting.

not to defend loup, but just like all breeders have only champion bloodlines, they also 'test' for defects.

Unfortunately, unless they are testing your actual pup; you have no guarantees. As a matter of fact, both parents can test negative for anything, yet carry the recessive gene.

What makes it funny is that mutts tend to be healthier dogs because they don't carry the inbred genetic defects that you have to test for in purebreds. If you want a purebred, do buy from a reputable buyer because you're less likely to get a dog with health problems. If health is your main concern, not breed, go get a mutt.