Thinking about getting a guitar

jmcoreymv

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I want to learn to play acoustic guitar and I have a few questions. Can anyone recommend a good brand/model for a beginner and where to look for it. Im looking to spend 150-250 (if thats possible or decent at all). Also what does it mean when it says 'acoustic-electric'. Anything else I should know? Thanks.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Accoustic Electric means you can plug it into an amplifier. Make no mistake - it sounds nothing like an electric guitar, it's good for sessions with crowds or in large rooms.

Takamine, Epiphone, and Ibanez all make good beginner guitars in that range. Check out harmony-central.com for guitar reviews. If you're a total newb it probably won't make much of a difference what guitar you get.

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
If you don't mind spending some cash to get a great guitar (~500-1000), get a Martin or a Taylor.

jmcoreymv

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately 500 is a bit above my range since I dont even know if Ill be any good at it. Any good sites to look at for purchases? And any specific models to recommend?

bockchow

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2001
i'm a big fan of taylor. but your probably not going to find much in that price range but if this is something your going to stick with it would be a very good investment.

jmcoreymv

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well to be honest, I tried to play guitar about 10 years ago, but I had a tough time with it so I gave it up. I just want to give it another shot (now that I have bigger fingers :)), but dont want to spend a whole lot in case I am bad at it still.

johneetrash

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
your best bet is to go to a music store that has acoustic guitars and play them yourself.. get one that feels good to you

Buttzilla

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
man...get the cheapest one you can find and practice practice pracitice until you can't feel the tips of ur fingers anymore! as a newb myself, it doesn't really matter what type of guitar your going to get cause you probably can't tell the difference anyways. i bought my epiphone for 115 dollars...all black and it works great for me cause i know i suck and probably wont' be able to appreciate a nice martin for a year or two.