Thinking about changing professions or getting further knowledge in mine

Runes911

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
Heres a little background knowledge. My wife is going to go back to school to further her education. She currently has a degreee in Graphic/Computer Arts. She will probably be going to a school in Florida called Full Sail. Anyone heard of it? Been to it?

Well since she will be going to that school I have also decided to go back. We are both young, shes 25 and I am 22. I haven't decided which I would rather do and I wanted to ask some opnions. My current profession is networking. I currently have an MCSE, I-Net, A+ soft./hard., and c-tech certification.

My options are: Go back to school and get further training in my field, maby some database courses etc. or I can join her at Full Sail. If I joined her I would choose between Game Design/ Programming or Computer animation. Can any of you tell me about game design? Would I pretty much be bound to living in CA? Are there any other states with businesses looking for a game designer? How competitive is the game design field? What about computer animation bound to CA?

I know I should be asking this to the school but I thought I would ask you guys. If anyone knows of a good forum to ask this in let me know!

Cliffs: Read only the 3rd paragraph :)

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
Game Design is tough stuff to get into - especially with what you posted about your qualifications. You don't have to be in CA for it - the whole west coast has a lot of opportunities and so does Texas.

akubi

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
game design field is ultra competitive, and chance of success are very slim (and the rewards are not great either, considering the risks).
check out this link..... (scroll down to career paths). most likely you will end up doing QA/testing lol..

I think game design industry career paths have too many potential pitfalls. you really don't want to enter it unless you love making video games...

If you actually have artistic talent, then the computer animation path seems like a better alternative, since it's not specifically tied down to the game industry...

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: akubi
most likely you will end up doing QA/testing lol..

I don't know, working
here doing QA/testing doesn't seem too bad. This is the company that is handling all the Xbox360 testing.

Runes911

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2000
Hmm sounds like I may want to stick to my profession. What about computer animation? Any thoughts on it? What types of work would you be likely to do?

Edit: missed the artistic talent part hmm I am not very artistic...