Thinking about a new build, need advice on a case

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
So after 5 years and change, I'm finally itching to build a new machine. The P182 has been a workhorse but it doesn't even have USB3.0 and I really want something a lot smaller. Looking for the following:

1) I want to keep 1 ODD bay because I have a bunch of DVDs I still use so the case needs to accommodate that. No need for more than 1. If there's a strong umm... case for a case that doesn't have an ODD, I'm open to listening though as I can probably get around this need.

2) I will only ever use one gpu though I'd like to keep the option to fit most high end cards. Nothing triple slot or otherwise insane, just normal high end cards.

3) I'm attached to my Soundblaster Z mostly because of the beam microphone that allows me to turn the beam on/off (really handy on video conferencing, which is very important because I work from home and can't stand headphones to avoid echo). That said, if there's a solution that allows me to keep my beam mic (the on/off comes from software), I'm open to letting this card go.

4) I will have 2 SSDs in this new build and will get rid of the spindle, so 3.5" bays are not needed. Would like the option to have more than 2 SSDs in the future though (but not a deal breaker if I can only fit 2).

5) Not watercooling, not overclocking anything (done with that).

6) I don't want to be restricted in PSU size though I won't ever get a PSU that's larger than my current Seasonic 660w (in wattage I mean).

7) All of this said, I want the smallest quality case I can get. Price isn't really an issue but sound dampening is fairly important. The case would sit on the floor next to my leg, so if the USB ports and whatnot are on the top instead of the front, that's a plus.

I was even considering mini-ITX if there was such a one that allowed me to keep my soundcard but that seems no-go. Though like I said, if there's a way I can keep the beam mic functionality, I could go this route too. Also, if this is a bad time because a crapton of awesome cases are just around the corner, I can wait too.

Thanks for the help!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
sorry i didnt get a chance to see this message til today, also we had the entire forum migration and other things which made the forum slightly accessible..

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
It's fine, I was just surprised 40 people looked at it but no one had anything to say.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Every good micro ATX case I can think of does have an optical drive bay. So you basically have to go to a mid tower case, of which there are lots, but they aren't small.