Think this heatsink is worth the money? VOS 32 modified to go directly on core of Athlon classic.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I know the Vos32 is the best Athlon cooler out there, but do you still have your backplate on? If you do, I think you will need a regular VOS32... I think sinks that mount directly to the core require the removal of the backplate... If you do have it removed, I think it is worth it... The regular VOS32 complete with two YS Tech fans is only $29 at the Card Cooler. If you still have your backplate on, I would suggest the regular VOS32. Here's the link for the Card Cooler..

http://www.thecardcooler.com/shopcart/shop.html#CPU%20Cooling

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I have the cover removed, but the heatplate is still on. I would be willing to take the heatplate off to put the VOS 32 on. It's kind of expensive though.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Spoooon, Just get the regular VOS32 that attaches to your heatplate. It is only $29. I don't think you would get much more cool by attaching it directly to the core, and it is more than twice as much for the "modified" Vos32 and you would have to remove your heatplate. I would just go with the non-modified one....

On a side note, I am now running at 120FSB! I wasn't sure how stable it would be, but I just came home from work after letting the Prime95 "torture" test run all night, and my CPU is only 82F! That is partly because I had a cool night here and my room temp is only 68F. I am still curious how fast I can go with a GFD...

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
It really depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you are trying to do a small overclock, the VOS-32 should be adequate. I have an 850 with a VOS-32 running at 1000 with my Leufken GFD.

Now, if you want to push every concievable Mhz out of the processor and keep it cool, direct-die cooling is MUCH more efficient.

It just depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Well, I'm really sort of practicing on the cpu I have now. After I get a new video card, I'm going to buy a new cpu. I want to hit 1GHZ. I think with better cooling, I can get a stable 850 out of it. 818 works, except for the RC5 client. Prime 95 is fine as is 3DMark 2000. With better cooling, who knows? Though, I am convinced that it isn't worth it to buy that modified VOS 32.