Think this controller is worth it?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I don't really like controllers. I've owned xbox controllers a lot of years and they're still unopened. But some games recommend them so I can see possibly using one on them. Think an xbox controller is fine, or is a better one like this worth it?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Not sure, I have not used one. Its quite a bit cheaper than an MS Elite Series 2 controller. The Elite would be a lot better for fighting games because of the D-Pad setup on it. But the Razer has more programmable buttons, so good for PC.

Personally I use a regular XBox One controller, and it works great. Plug and play with every game I have used it with. It IS getting a bit worn out. But should last me until I get get a Series One controller. Or I hope anyway, racing games take a toll on it.

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
Overpriced and gimmicky. A regular X1 controller is perfect for PC. Even the knockoffs by PDP are pretty good.

I like that RGB lighting is at the top of the feature list for that Razer controller. Ah, priorities.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Even the X1 controllers are overpriced. A simple wired 360 controller works perfectly fine for all PC games that support controllers. I bought a few Afterglow wired 360 controllers for $15 each at Target about 5 years ago and they all still work perfectly fine today with thousands of hours of gaming on all controllers.

So, if you don't like controllers, it's a little absurd to spend over $100 on something you'll likely rarely use. It's also absurd to buy anything extra if you already have unopened controllers (assuming they're wired) that you could likely just plug in and play.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
So, if you don't like controllers, it's a little absurd to spend over $100 on something you'll likely rarely use. It's also absurd to buy anything extra if you already have unopened controllers (assuming they're wired) that you could likely just plug in and play.

Well, sometimes having a better version of something you're going to use makes it nicer to use. But ya, I'm thinking I'll stay away for now. I don't know why, I've never really liked console controllers. I can't believe how much time I used one on PS3 to play Dragon Age: Origins, spending like $250 on the game and ten DLC's as they came out. Then I got it on PC and never really re-played. Weird. On the list though.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Even the X1 controllers are overpriced. A simple wired 360 controller works perfectly fine for all PC games that support controllers. I bought a few Afterglow wired 360 controllers for $15 each at Target about 5 years ago and they all still work perfectly fine today with thousands of hours of gaming on all controllers.

The X1 controllers really are a lot better than 360 controllers though. 360 controllers function fine, I also had one of the cheap afterglow ones at one point. But the precision, especially in the joy sticks and triggers is a big step up on the X1 controller. So yes the 360 controller functions fine, and it will do the job. But an X1 is better. Its like comparing a membrane keyboard to a mechanical. Both do the same job and function fine, but one has clear advantages over the other.

Reactions: KentState

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Its like comparing a membrane keyboard to a mechanical. Both do the same job and function fine, but one has clear advantages over the other.

I haven't used mechanical in a while, but I don't recall it being better for gaming, and I hate any noise (this MS ergonomic KB does make a sound from the keys, but doesn't add the irritating click from the switch on top of it. Give me a silent keyboard...)

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I haven't used mechanical in a while, but I don't recall it being better for gaming, and I hate any noise (this MS ergonomic KB does make a sound from the keys, but doesn't add the irritating click from the switch on top of it. Give me a silent keyboard...)

A mechanical (or an optio-electric for the most advanced models) gives better feedback, which for many games is very important. I like them because I can type significantly faster on them.

But my point was, both do the same job, and to many people there is no difference (besides noise). Same goes for controllers, or mice. You have cheap models, and expensive ones. The expensive ones are subjectively better, but that doesn't mean they are worth the cost to everybody out there.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Same goes for controllers, or mice. You have cheap models, and expensive ones. The expensive ones are subjectively better, but that doesn't mean they are worth the cost to everybody out there.

Of course - as in most things, some are more worth the money than others, hence my asking about this example.

Reactions: Stuka87

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I used to game with a wired 360 controller when the gameplay called for it ( 3rd person hack n slash just isn't the same on a KB+M) and the wifey picked up 4x wireless Xbox One controllers so the fam can play couch co-op together.

Personally like the fit and finish of the XB1 Controller a bit more than the 360, and the wireless element cannot be overstated. I have always been a "save 25 bucks and some batteries and use a wire" kind of guy but not having the weight of the slack wire between my hands and the computer or having to worry about the wire catching something off my desk mid gameplay is huge.

Next peripheral upgrade for me is defo going to be a wireless headset.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I have 3 or 4 of the newer XB1 controllers and like them much more than the 360 ones. Being able to directly connect with Bluetooth a big advantage. Still have some of the old controllers and an Elite that I try to use with the dongle, but always seem to have issues. Random drop outs or the controller just isn't recognized. Part of that I'm sure comes from it being plugged into the back of the case and antenna not getting a clean signal.

The XB1 controller also works really well in the Tesla with the built-in arcade games.

Reactions: ZGR