Think there will be any sales coming up on GPUs?

Coyle

May 15, 2020
I'm just looking at something like GTX1650 Super or similar; wondering if there's going to be any price drops coming up?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
IF any happen on the low-end, then they will be the LAST to happen, out of this current/former generation, IMHO, because they will be the last to be "replaced", and more than likely, just re-branded in the end. (Unless Nvidia really wants to push "RTX" capability down through their whole stack, even into the under-$200 cards, which I doubt would be playable for RTX at anything higher than 1280x720, even with DLSS 2.0 enabled, if such a thing would run on the lowest-end RTX cards.)

Or perhaps, they just won't have any cards under $200 anymore.

I would, instead, keep my eyes out for a drop of a batch of "factory refurb" cards, from MSI or Gigabyte, at Newegg. I've seen some GTX 1650 non-Super cards for as low as $110, I've purchased them for as low as $120 (+tax).

Edit: TBH, it seems that the GTX 1650 Super cards are actually trending UPWARDS in price, and still selling out. $169.99 is becoming the new normal for them (original MSRP $159.99), and still sells out at those prices. The GTX 1650 Super, I've heard, with GDDR6, competes with the RX 580, albeit with only 4GB of VRAM max.

Personally, I would stick with GTX 1660 Super and up cards, for any sort of "Serious" gaming (anything higher-end than Fortnite), but as always, only if budget allows.

RX 580 8GB cards are now over $200 too, often hitting $220 lately. Also RX 5500XT 8GB cards too.

Edit: I posted some sale prices for some Asus dual-fan model cards, of RX 5600XT @ $249.99 AP, and RX 5700XT @ $359.99 AP, which are $60 and $50 off respectively. Those are decent 1440P-capable gaming cards, maybe 4K even on the RX 5700XT card for e-sports titles and milder AAA games. (I bought them for mining.)

Reactions: OrByte and Coyle

Coyle

May 15, 2020
IF any happen on the low-end, then they will be the LAST to happen, out of this current/former generation, IMHO, because they will be the last to be "replaced", and more than likely, just re-branded in the end. (Unless Nvidia really wants to push "RTX" capability down through their whole stack, even into the under-$200 cards, which I doubt would be playable for RTX at anything higher than 1280x720, even with DLSS 2.0 enabled, if such a thing would run on the lowest-end RTX cards.)

Or perhaps, they just won't have any cards under $200 anymore.

I would, instead, keep my eyes out for a drop of a batch of "factory refurb" cards, from MSI or Gigabyte, at Newegg. I've seen some GTX 1650 non-Super cards for as low as $110, I've purchased them for as low as $120 (+tax).

Edit: TBH, it seems that the GTX 1650 Super cards are actually trending UPWARDS in price, and still selling out. $169.99 is becoming the new normal for them (original MSRP $159.99), and still sells out at those prices. The GTX 1650 Super, I've heard, with GDDR6, competes with the RX 580, albeit with only 4GB of VRAM max.

Personally, I would stick with GTX 1660 Super and up cards, for any sort of "Serious" gaming (anything higher-end than Fortnite), but as always, only if budget allows.

RX 580 8GB cards are now over $200 too, often hitting $220 lately. Also RX 5500XT 8GB cards too.

Edit: I posted some sale prices for some Asus dual-fan model cards, of RX 5600XT @ $249.99 AP, and RX 5700XT @ $359.99 AP, which are $60 and $50 off respectively. Those are decent 1440P-capable gaming cards, maybe 4K even on the RX 5700XT card for e-sports titles and milder AAA games. (I bought them for mining.)

I've noticed that about the rise in card prices too, that's why I was wondering if it'd be worth it to wait for a sale, or if maybe prices just stay high and lot of out of stock.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I'm keeping my eyes open for a cheap 5700xt, even though I'm still very leery about switching to AMD after all these years. The Sapphire Pulse card has been up and down a few times in the last week, and I did find this pretty good deal on the Gigabyte card ($366 USD). I had it in my cart and then decided not to and they sold out (online) in about an hour when I checked again:

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_558&item_id=140144

As always with the 5700xt cards, the reviews are absolutely dreadful. I bought an MSI Gaming Plus B550 board the other day (for $96 USD off Newegg with the discount, rebate, and Steam card), so I will be doing a complete reinstall anyways...so the AMD drivers should work???

A 5700XT would be a sweet spot for me at 1440p, 75Hz for DCS World. I went on and on about how I'd never buy a last gen card at this point (and certainly not at stupid used prices), but I am thinking now I want to maybe wait a year or so to see what all comes out in the new cards. I think it may take that long for everything to get out and become available (i.e. 3070ti, 6700xt, etc). It will give us a chance to see if AMD botched the drivers for these ones too, and if they have an answer for RT and DLSS.

My trick has been to buy a card on Newegg, see what the price does the next day, cancel the order before it ships, and repeat until I get the best deal. Newegg likes to flip their shipping charges up and down all the time (from free to $20 or more - in Canada anyways). This way I will still get one in case they sell out and/or flip the price way up.

Last edited:

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hhahahahahahahahahaaaaa...... Thank you for making me laugh today, I really needed that. We might get a “sale” on GPUs, as in, they transferred from one entity to another with an exchange of money and/or other goods and assets. But if you think a store is going to put an item they can’t even get into stock on “sale” for less than retail price, I think you need to get a reality check.

Reactions: Captante and CP5670

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
If Nvidia/AMD allowed the retailers to gouge, I bet they would increase prices by 30-50% and still sell out in minutes.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
If Nvidia/AMD allowed the retailers to gouge, I bet they would increase prices by 30-50% and still sell out in minutes.

People are so stupefyingly frenzied right now, they could sell them without coolers ala CPU's and still sell out in 2 seconds. The thing that astounds me is those DESPERATE to get a new card so they can sell their 2080 Super (or whatever). Seriously? That isn't sufficient that you can't be patient and wait a few months? What's wrong with people...

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I doubt it. Retailers usually only sell closeout items on Black Friday with a decent discount.

Maybe you could find some old GeForce 1060's lying around your local B&W computer shop for $50 off of MSRP, but I'll bet that the crypto miners would snap them up before you did if they were the 6 GB models :)

Reactions: Captante

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
If it not mining, it is goes back due to serious gaming again! My 1050ti 4GB is a little higher then I purchase it 2 years ago too! Prices are going up again for the holidays.....again!

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Expect Black Friday to have prices equivalent or below MSRP GPU prices - What a JOKE !

Who can afford these inflated prices - That's if the item is in stock.

If after you purchase an item there no guarantee on shipping - Stating if you don't receive the product after 6 months - File a Claim - Welcome to 2020 and COVID ;o(

Last edited:

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Expect Black Friday to have prices equivalent or below MSRP GPU prices - What a JOKE !

Who can afford these inflated prices - That's if the item is in stock.

If after you purchase an item there no guarantee on shipping - Stating if you don't receive the product after 6 months - File a Claim - Welcome to 2020 and COVID ;o(
Unless it's been something like kickstarter, I don't generally buy things that will take that long. I've waited a while when they wait to charge my CC until the product ships. If I don't have it within 30 days after paying, I'll probably be disputing the charge.