Think the Cali Union strike issue was totally settled? Think again...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Union hits non-striking workers with retalitory $1600 fines.

Federal charges filed by several employees of Albertson?s grocery chain who face retaliatory fines for refusal to engage in illegal ?sympathy strike? activity have forced union officials to waffle. Nevertheless, retaliation continues against many workers that refused to obey the illegal strike order.

Teamsters Local 592 union officials have been socking employees with confiscatory fines ?$1,600 per employee ? simply for the act of following the union?s own ?no strike? contract with Albertson?s. The targeted employees had simply continued to report to work during the recent statewide grocery strike ordered against Albertson?s, Vons, and Ralphs by the United Food and Commercial Workers union.

Ouch...

CkG

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
Wow... and to think that these are the SAME PEOPLE who accuse corporations of being cold hearted!

If you prefer inflated union paychecks rather than being paid market-rate for your labor, then you have to play by the union's rules.

:beer::D

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: gsaldivar
Wow... and to think that these are the SAME PEOPLE who accuse corporations of being cold hearted!

If you prefer inflated union paychecks rather than being paid market-rate for your labor, then you have to play by the union's rules.

:beer::D

But see - that's the problem. They were following the Union's rules and contract, but now the Union wants to fine them for actually abiding by the contract terms. The more I think about this the more I think it might be just a way for them to refill their strike pay coffers which ran low or dry because of the prolonged strike. Just a thought anyway.

CkG

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: dirtboy
All these people knew it going into the strike.

They knew they were going to be fined by the Union?

Yes. I talked to some of the strikers and some of the people who broke the lines. They were aware that if the strike settled that they'd have to pay the union if they wanted to get their job back.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Yes. I talked to some of the strikers and some of the people who broke the lines. They were aware that if the strike settled that they'd have to pay the union if they wanted to get their job back.

So they had to pay the Union even though their Union contract had a no-strike clause? Interesting. I wouldn't have joined the strike either if I were them and I'd tell the union to get bent in regards to the "fine".

CkG

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

So they had to pay the Union even though their Union contract had a no-strike clause? Interesting. I wouldn't have joined the strike either if I were them and I'd tell the union to get bent in regards to the "fine".

CkG
I'm sure the union would make an exception for you because you are so tough.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

CkG
I'm sure the union would make an exception for you because you are so tough.

So you'd pay the "fine" for actually following your contract instead of conforming to their little strike stunt? Or would you have broken your contractual obligations because the Union threatened you with fines? Or would you follow your contract and refuse to pay the "fine"?

CkG

Dman877

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2004
Get rid of unions, too much corruption and politics involved. Instead, raise the national minimum wage to a living salary (varies by area but I think 10$-12$ is a good target).

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
The strike was called on Oct. 11, 2003.

The old contract had ended on Oct. 5, 2003.

Case closed.

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
A year from now (or 3 fiscal quarters actually) the executives at the top will be handing themselves bonuses for 400% profit YoY growth. Its the shareholders and workers that paid.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
A year from now (or 3 fiscal quarters actually) the executives at the top will be handing themselves bonuses for 400% profit YoY growth. Its the shareholders and workers that paid.

The Union executives? Oh, no - the shareholders don't pay the union - only the workers pay for "representation and protection" and some seem to now have to pay more. Interesting how things work....

CkG

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
<blockquote>Quote
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
<blockquote>Quote
<blockquote>Quote
<blockquote>Quote
<blockquote>Quote

They knew they were going to be fined by the Union?[/quote]

Yes. I talked to some of the strikers and some of the people who broke the lines. They were aware that if the strike settled that they'd have to pay the union if they wanted to get their job back.[/quote]

CkG[/quote]
I'm sure the union would make an exception for you because you are so tough.[/quote]

So you'd pay the "fine" for actually following your contract instead of conforming to their little strike stunt? Or would you have broken your contractual obligations because the Union threatened you with fines? Or would you follow your contract and refuse to pay the "fine"?

CkG[/quote]

There is a bit of a 'legal' problem here.. The Union struck Von's and the union membership of Ralph's and Albertson's were 'locked out' by the management of those stores. My Gson worked at Albertson's (at 7.50$ per hr) and when he was locked out he went to Ralph's and went to work there (at 17.50$ per hour). About a month or so later Ralph's told him they would have to let him go because he was a union member and Ralph's had 'locked' them out.

My point is; how can a person be fined by the union for going to work when it was the store that took the affirmative action of 'locking out' the workers.. and not the union striking the store? It seems to me the issue of crossing the picket line at Albertson's has to do with not a strike but, a harassment of the store for its 'Locking out' actions... which the store was, in part, seeking to remedy by allowing a union member to work :D.

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Dman877
Get rid of unions, too much corruption and politics involved. Instead, raise the national minimum wage to a living salary (varies by area but I think 10$-12$ is a good target).

i agree

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: drewshin
Originally posted by: Dman877

i agree

"living salary"? And what exactly would that be calculated by?

But I do agree with the union comment as they have become what they once fought against.

CkG