Think racism isn't systemic? I give you the beloved ice cream truck song

Nov 8, 2012
FirstWorldProblems.jpg

Today... Statues are oppressing me! We would be equal if only we brought those statues down!

Tomorrow... ICE CREAM TRUCKS ARE RAAAAAAAAAAACIST!!!!

The fact is you can perceive anything as racist all you want. Once upon a time, blackface was seen as racist... now literally ANYTHING that involves putting ANYTHING black on your face is deemed racist. You could be an 8 year old kid that really liked Obama as a president, and painted his face black and dressed like a president would and people would still shout that the kid has some kind of racist intentions.

The general populace just simply has their entire head up their ass and have forgotten logic, intentions, etc...

Were alaso totally unaware because we ultimately don't care. It's a song. Volkswagen made vehicles for Nazis - yet people still buy them. You don't get to just shun everything that had SOMETHING bad once upon a time - because you would be shunning everything.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
FirstWorldProblems.jpg

Today... Statues are oppressing me! We would be equal if only we brought those statues down!

Tomorrow... ICE CREAM TRUCKS ARE RAAAAAAAAAAACIST!!!!

The fact is you can perceive anything as racist all you want. Once upon a time, blackface was seen as racist... now literally ANYTHING that involves putting ANYTHING black on your face is deemed racist. You could be an 8 year old kid that really liked Obama as a president, and painted his face black and dressed like a president would and people would still shout that the kid has some kind of racist intentions.

The general populace just simply has their entire head up their ass and have forgotten logic, intentions, etc...

Were alaso totally unaware because we ultimately don't care. It's a song. Volkswagen made vehicles for Nazis - yet people still buy them. You don't get to just shun everything that had SOMETHING bad once upon a time - because you would be shunning everything.
That is probably one of the most thoughtfully honest things that you have ever said on these forums! I guess there is hope...heheheheee

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Umm, that's just the "Do your ears hang low" melody.

So was that song derived from this racist song this girl is talking about?

I'm not watching a tiktok video to find out her reasonings.

EDIT:

Okay I lied I watched it. And the song she has at the end of her video isn't even the same melody of the ice cream song in the video at the top of the page, and not the melody I've heard growing up.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I also believe that racism is very rampant in the United States!
At what point does being against racism hurt its own cause?
Can you be overly anti - racist to the point where it morphs into being anti - everything?

Nov 29, 2006
Umm, that's just the "Do your ears hang low" melody.

So was that song derived from this racist song this girl is talking about?

I'm not watching a tiktok video to find out her reasonings.

EDIT:

Okay I lied I watched it. And the song she has at the end of her video isn't even the same melody of the ice cream song in the video at the top of the page, and not the melody I've heard growing up.

This. Different ice cream song that i remember and the two she references are not the same. similar yes, but not the same.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'd bet the young kid in my neighborhood that drives the ice cream truck has no idea about this. It's a pleasant tune, if you don't know anything about it, and I had no idea before now. I'm just not going to spend my life looking for things to be offended about. Go ahead and knock yourselves out. Same attitude I have with COVID, I'm gonna live my life happily and in a safe way, but I refuse to be driven by fear. We will find whatever we choose to focus on.

Does your dick hang low...can you tie it in a bow? :D

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
It bears repeating. The fucking Nazis got most of their ideas directly from America (eugenics, Jim Crow laws, rounding up groups and putting them in designated areas, genocide, demonization of various groups although that rolls into all of the others; propaganda, advertising, and even the fucking gas chambers). Anyone who disputes that white supremacy was a founding principle of the US doesn't know history. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising that its been so hard to stamp out because well it is our heritage (but any dumbfuck trying to claim that heritage is not full blown white supremacy really needs history lessons, so next time a Confederate fuckstick claims "heritage" just agree and say how that's exactly the fucking problem).

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
hot damn, i had no idea. the only lyrics i've heard to this tune were "do your ears hang low..."

I think this quote is essential to contextualizing the tune:

Johnson also clarified that, while the ice cream truck song may be rooted in racism, the tune itself is not racist. "A melody can't be racist. However, melodies can be used for racist activities, like blackface or when paired with racist lyrics. The ice cream truck is playing a tune that dates back to Ireland, not the racist watermelon song. Racism commandeered a melody, just as it has with scores of things, like lunch counters, buses, flags, etc.," he explained.

also, there are a bunch of terms that have their roots in racism - like "peanut gallery" - though i have to wonder if the term has lost its power, so to speak. as in, is there still an association between that phrase and racism?

Reactions: GoodRevrnd

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
hot damn, i had no idea. the only lyrics i've heard to this tune were "do your ears hang low..."

I think this quote is essential to contextualizing the tune:

also, there are a bunch of terms that have their roots in racism - like "peanut gallery" - though i have to wonder if the term has lost its power, so to speak. as in, is there still an association between that phrase and racism?

Peanut gallery - I never heard it's back ground and never occurred to me as rooted in racism. I just it meant the refer to a peeps not involved in something chiming in

Reactions: Paladin3 and Pohemi

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I also believe that racism is very rampant in the United States!
At what point does being against racism hurt its own cause?
Can you be overly anti - racist to the point where it morphs into being anti - everything?

It already has as evidenced by this Ice Cream Melody outrage...

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Perfectly fine song. I'm not advocating banning ice cream trucks but people need to be aware how ingrained this kind of stuff is in this countries history. Awareness isn't a bad thing.

Nov 8, 2012
Perfectly fine song. I'm not advocating banning ice cream trucks but people need to be aware how ingrained this kind of stuff is in this countries history. Awareness isn't a bad thing.

Yes, we all agree - People like yourself need to grow a brain cell or two and actually call things into question instead of simply WANTING to believe in oppression that doesn't exist - written in articles by "journalists" (lol) at the likes of BuzzFeed.

Seek some help.

Nov 29, 2006
I'd bet the young kid in my neighborhood that drives the ice cream truck has no idea about this. It's a pleasant tune, if you don't know anything about it, and I had no idea before now. I'm just not going to spend my life looking for things to be offended about. Go ahead and knock yourselves out. Same attitude I have with COVID, I'm gonna live my life happily and in a safe way, but I refuse to be driven by fear. We will find whatever we choose to focus on.

Does your dick hang low...can you tie it in a bow? :D

You are a conservative. You always live your life in fear. All your decisions are based around that.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Yes, we all agree - People like yourself need to grow a brain cell or two and actually call things into question instead of simply WANTING to believe in oppression that doesn't exist - written in articles by "journalists" (lol) at the likes of BuzzFeed.

Seek some help.
The still poor redlined districts in many American cities disagree with you. This is an awareness story not an oppression story

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The still poor redlined districts in many American cities disagree with you. This is an awareness story not an oppression story

They don’t need no stinking education! The point you were making was and will forever be lost on them.