Think I may be passing my 8th kidney stone.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, after 10 years I finally got to see a real urologist. He was almost an hour late and spent exactly 2 minutes with me.
Prescribed generic shitty pain killers and some prostate medication. I am not liking this guy.

Unfortunately its the only urology office in town, and if I make another appointment I will automatically get him again.

I dont think I will ever get rid of these things.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
OK, after 10 years I finally got to see a real urologist. He was almost an hour late and spent exactly 2 minutes with me.
Prescribed generic shitty pain killers and some prostate medication. I am not liking this guy.

Unfortunately its the only urology office in town, and if I make another appointment I will automatically get him again.

Make another appointment and when he walks in the door slap him with your bleeding and abused wang.

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000

Do you still live in Northern VA per your sig?

iluvdeal

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
You gotta be proactive with some docs and you need to be an educated patient and know all the options available to you. For example, did you ask for any meds by name?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
You gotta be proactive with some docs and you need to be an educated patient and know all the options available to you. For example, did you ask for any meds by name?

Nope.
I know about the flowmax. He said he would prescribe something to open up my tubes, but when I picked up the meds from pharmacy it was just the useless pain stuff, and the prostate medicine. My prostate is fine. I can nut with the best of them. And even if it wasnt, we never discussed my prostate so how the hell would he even know about it?

I checked the prescriptions over again, they are indeed for me.

Like I said the guy was extremely late, even more so than normal doctors. He spent a grand total of two minutes with me. Then booted me out. According to the wall he went to Johns Hopkins and has been out of residency for 10 years. I wonder what a guy like that is even doing in Manassas.......

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, the best thing the doctor did for me was pass along some pamphlets (which I dont think I needed to schedule an appointment for) and I am getting a lot of new info.

Previously I was told to eliminate cranberry's and juice, almonds, and a couple other things.

Now according to new info I am finding they arent nearly as bad as previously thought. I need to avoid the heavy oxalate's which include:

Bran flakes
Soybean crackers (dont even know what those are)
Fiber One
Wheat Germ
Lemon peels
Lime peels (never eat these anyway)
Rhubarb either canned or stewed or raw (never have it anyway)
Okra (never have it)
Parsley (usually dont eat it)
Spinach
Roasted peanuts
Peanut butter
Chocolate and candy bars
Indian Tea
Dry Cocoa
and Black pepper (one of the highest, over 400 mg).

The only meat even listed was liver and its not nearly as bad as one might think. In terms of oxalate most traditional protein sources arent too bad, even the peanuts werent horrible.
The black pepper was very surprising and I wish I'd known that years ago. I been using it a lot. Always goes on most of my meals.

In terms of protein, I keep hearing it from you guys and around the web, but this is the first time a doctor told me to monitor my intake (making me believe the VA doctors are all useless).

He said vegetable protein was the best but still needs to be in moderation (whey, nuts, beans, soy) and then fish, poultry, and finally red meat which he said should probably be eliminated from my diet entirely. The soy however is not good because of oxalates.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
As before it was recommended I increase my calcium intake and decrease sodium.

Oh, for anyone who wondered the prostate medicine is Tamsulosin (side effects include painful erections and uncontrollable ejaculations) and the pain stuff was Ketorolac 10mg. Its interesting in that I dont wait for pain, I take the stuff every 6 hours whether I feel like it or not.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
You guys are morans.
I drink a gallon of water every day and gave up soda years ago.

What do doctor's say your reason for getting these are?

One of my exes dad's actually passed out while pissing at a urinal. Woke up in the hospital with a concussion and stitches.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Ugh. I sympathize with your pain, man.

I'm really curious how to prevent kidney stones, because it seems traditional information regarding them is apparently very lacking.

I've yet to have one (at 32), and my father hasn't either (at 59), so I'm sure genetics has something to do with it. I don't think my mother has either, but I haven't really talked to her about it. I know my grandfather on my mother's side used to have them all the time, but he loved him some apple juice, lol. I know diet is a big factor as well, and willing to guess that drinking green teas and black coffee assists in keeping them from forming, aside from the obvious staying away from sugars.

I've been drinking black coffee for years (usually stronger than most people like it) and have been finding out how healthy it is more and more every day, in more than just stone prevention. It really is amazing, such as noted in this article. Obviously with drinking lots of coffee requires drinking enough water so you're not dehydrated.

Best of luck man. I hope you can find a way to stop these stones. :eek:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, dont know if I should be worried or not.

Was bored, and up too early. Decided to spank off before starting all my homework and studying.

No goop. Not one drop. While I appreciate the easy clean up, this may be a problem.

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008

Was bored, and up too early. Decided to spank off before starting all my homework and studying.

No goop. Not one drop. While I appreciate the easy clean up, this may be a problem.

I don't know you, but I am genuinely concerned for your well being. Dear God please watch over shortylickens' wang in his time of need.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Have you tested the stones for iron? Maybe your dick is just rusting. ;)

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
As before it was recommended I increase my calcium intake and decrease sodium.

Why would you increase calcium when that's what the stones are made of? The medication I take is to REDUCE calcium in my urine, as the kidney isn't processing it right. No stones for 21 years now with two little pills a day.

You need to see a Nephrologist, they know how to treat kidney stones, don't waste any more time with the urologist.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Pissed blood again. Good thing I have an appointment on tuesday.

I hate my guts. They always hurt, or bleed, or just make me unhappy.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Have you tried drinking a lot of lemon juice? I tried that for a while but ultimately ended up going on medication that has the same effect because I got tired of drinking tons of pure lemon juice.

I don't remember the exact amount suggested but I would have a shot glass full of lemon juice 4x a day which was roughly the proper amount. You can always make lemonade out of it too if you can't stand the taste of the juice directly.

CA19100

Jun 29, 2012
Ugh, OP, you have my sympathies. I had a tiny one a few years back and it was like being kicked in the kidney for a week before it came out. Ugh. And it was only about 1/4 of the size of that picture you posted.

Oh, for anyone who wondered the prostate medicine is Tamsulosin (side effects include painful erections and uncontrollable ejaculations)...

Tamsulosin is Flomax, and it's known to help with kidney stones.

No goop. Not one drop.
If you've already taken the Tamsulosin, that's one of the known common side effects. It went into your bladder due to the relaxed muscles.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
GOT IT!

After 3 months of pain and 2 minutes of screaming, stone number nine has finally entered society.

Fuck the neighbors, they nap all afternoon anyway.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Damn I am scared as fuck to get these. Throughout my life I've seen my dad pass at least 20 kidney stones. I've only ever seen him cry twice - passing a kidney stone and drilling a hole into his finger after the drill bit broke while drilling.

I've been drinking gallons of water every day for years now and have been lucky. *knock on wood*

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
GOT IT!

After 3 months of pain and 2 minutes of screaming, stone number nine has finally entered society.

Fuck the neighbors, they nap all afternoon anyway.

Its unfortunate the urologist you saw was so terrible, I had a couple of kidney stones and eve had one broken up but after that they did a bunch of tests prescribed medication which has kept any new ones from forming so far.

I would seriously try the lemonade diet though, it can't hurt and might do some good.

nomadicspirit

Nov 20, 2012
Stones suck! I have only had one I believe, although a lot of people can get small ones and pass them without noticing. If you are pre-disposed to getting them though it can be a pain, Vitamin C can cause it if you take enough of it, so you might want to watch that. Going by this being your 8th one, I would say you might need to get an actual medical opinion,from a second person, not a 2minute asshole. He does need slapped! Lay back on the soda, kill some good ol fashion H2O for awhile, and maybe take in a bit more niacin, it will help to flush your system better so that excess Vitamin C(which is a good thing so do not avoid it) and other things do not form the stones to begin with.

Last edited:

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I passed one about three years ago....very unpleasant. I needed morphine.

The CT scan said I had another wedged in the kidney, and since I haven't passed it yet I can only assume it's still in there waiting to surprise me one day.