Things to do in Maryland

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
One of my friends has been trying to get me and another friend to come visit her in Maryland for a while now so over our holiday break from school we're going to go down. The plan is to drive down to Philly, pick up my one friend, then head down to Maryland. Google Maps puts the drive time at about 3.5 hours.

The friend that I'm going to see lives in a small town near Rockville. I understand that Rockville is only ~45 minutes from D.C., so we'll probably be going there at some point. Beyond that though, I have no idea what there is to do. Any ideas?

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
air and space museum, natural history museum, American history museum are all good, and silver diner in rockville is good stuff.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
what town does he live in?

i live in rockville, JUST north of bethesda, and its like a 20 minute subway ride from where i live into the heart of the nightlife in DC.

i also live 2 subway stops from Bethesda which also has a good nightlife and a ton of great restaraunts. it's not as wild as DC is as far as dance clubs go but you can find a buncha places to listen to music or dance and get some drinks. not nearly as pricey as going to DC either.

ra1nman

Dec 9, 2007
I just visited the aquarium in Baltimore last week. It was pretty good and my son enjoyed it. To park in the parking garage was pretty expensive imo.

CalvinHobbes

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2004
Spy museum is pretty cool. Bethesda is close to Rockville, lots of restaurants to go to there. The monuments are cool to see around the holidays, there's the national xmas tree.
WashingtonPost.com has a going out guide that shows events going on in the month of December.

OpenThirdEye

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: purbeast0

i live in rockville, JUST north of bethesda, and its like a 20 minute subway ride from where i live into the heart of the nightlife in DC.

i also live 2 subway stops from Bethesda which also has a good nightlife and a ton of great restaraunts. it's not as wild as DC is as far as dance clubs go but you can find a buncha places to listen to music or dance and get some drinks. not nearly as pricey as going to DC either.

Agreed!

Also...I'm trying to think about what stop you live by. Twinbrook?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: OpenThirdEye
Originally posted by: purbeast0

Agreed!

Also...I'm trying to think about what stop you live by. Twinbrook?

Grosvenor.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
I had to run a few errands... sorry for the delay in response.

The town she lives in is called Derwood I think. It's close to Rockville/D.C. so I'm guessing that's it. Also, ra1nman PM'd me and sent me this link, so many thanks to him.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
heh, derwood... wow, that's right next door to me. hell, technically my HS is in 'derwood' I think but they are listed as Rockville. just hop on shady grove metro station... 30-45 minutes on the metro depending on where you want to go.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Originally posted by: randomlinh
heh, derwood... wow, that's right next door to me. hell, technically my HS is in 'derwood' I think but they are listed as Rockville. just hop on shady grove metro station... 30-45 minutes on the metro depending on where you want to go.

Awesome. Seeing as how I'm driving down there, public transportation would be a nice change. :p