Things that are exciting to you when you're an adult

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
I like smoking my pipe while reading the daily newspaper in my robe in front of the fire place. I also like it when my wife is across from my knitting a sweater and my son is playing with his toy train and cars on the floor.

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Exciting now:

-Getting new light modifier for my studio strobes.
-Resume went from Times New Roman to Calibri. It's damn sexy now.
-Found brush attachment to my vacuum. Thought I lost it.
-Shopping for boring tires for my boring commuter car.
-A massive pile of books to read.
-Researching Kindle vs. Nook
-Reading how others organize shit on Evernote. Looking into Evernote gatherings. Really? Yes, really.
-Occasionally dating someone rather lovely. No flings, no more one night stands.

Biggest excitement. Realizing I am a packrat. I decided just like that to be a minimalist. Looking at lifehacker posts is like looking at pr0n.

Used to be exciting:
-Wrenching the Mustang on the weekends.
-Going out almost every damn night. Even while broke.
-Playing any video game I could get my hands on. Now I play 1 or 2 on the xbox, and the flight sim on the PC. So, still nerdy there.
-Amusement park rides. Being within minutes from Disneyland or Knott's was exciting. Now it's meh. I blame the Pirate's ride turning politically correct, then going Johnny Depp. Double whammy fail.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I like smoking my pipe while reading the daily newspaper in my robe in front of the fire place. I also like it when my wife is across from my knitting a sweater and my son is playing with his toy train and cars on the floor.

Don't forget the fez! You have to wear a fez if you're going to do that! I think it's 1950's protocol.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I'm really excited that I'm finally going to fix my AFCI tripping this weekend by swapping out my breakers. (Confirmed it's an issue with the type of power supply in mac pros and AFCI circuits).
I'm really excited that my portal AC unit I ordered from Costco will be here next week so I can finally cool down my bonus room above my garage. This one. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...s=9&lang=en-US
I'm really excited that my kids 1 year birthday is only two weeks away and all my family and friends will be over so we can celebrate.
I'm excited (and nervous) to found out what my raise is (hopefully will know this coming week).

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
#1.Mowing the lawn with a push mower and composting the clippings for the garden.
#2. LED / Solar technology for indoor gardening.
#3. Having no receipts or sundry items for accounting left over on Saturday morning.
#4. Getting a bump up in the credit score.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Case in point of my life being officially over...

We're pricing out bathroom vanity cabinets. A 60" one my wife was looking at was almost $1200. I was at a store the other day and they had a similar one that was a customer return (and flawless) for $450. SCORE!

How sad my life has become that I'm happy about getting deals on bathroom cabinets.

I still did an Unreal Tournament victory fist and crotch pump at her when I got home to gloat.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Case in point of my life being officially over...

We're pricing out bathroom vanity cabinets. A 60" one my wife was looking at was almost $1200. I was at a store the other day and they had a similar one that was a customer return (and flawless) for $450. SCORE!

How sad my life has become that I'm happy about getting deals on bathroom cabinets.

I still did an Unreal Tournament victory fist and crotch pump at her when I got home to gloat.

Well done. I do that myself when I get my victories :)

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Exciting will be finding a seed planter to pull behind the tractor for a good price. I just spent the last few hours planting 4 rows of beans by hand... that sucked donkey balls.

dpearson

Jul 23, 2009
I was pretty excited to get a new metal roof on my house. It's funny how reestablishing the baseline conditions of a house, e.g. making it not leak when it rains, is cause for excitement. I think adult "excitement" is really just the alleviation of worry. Being an adult is about worrying.

How's your cell phone service in your house now that you have a metal roof?

Also this thread reminds me of last Thanksgiving when my 3 year old niece decided to get the whole family to gather around and say what they're thankful for. The overwhelming answer was "my family". Seriously?