#$%#$ thiefs

Luden

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
Someone was kind enough to steal my car about a month ago (it was recovered), and they got a hold of various types of identification and a few check books. I quickly canceled all of my accounts and never thought much of the issue until today when I received a friendly debt collection notice. It appears that someone had a $55 dollar meal on my behalf at the local Pizza Hut with a check of mine (figured these letters would start eventually). Has anyone else had the joys of dealing with similar issues of identity theft? Any tips to ease the headache?

Luden

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Baked
No, I don't keep any valuables in my car, ever.

Yeah, I was stupid enough to leave my school bag in my car. Punishment for slacking on the homework I guess..

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Many times but they used those checks that you get in the mail for your credit cards. Fortunately for me that credit card was closed a while ago and nothing was brought against me.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
You've informed the bank the chequebooks were stolen, so you're covered. The bank has no mandate to debit your account (and the system clearly works, they've dishonoured the cheque as they should have), and the anywhere that accepted a forged cheque has no claim against you either :)

Luden

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
Originally posted by: dug777
You've informed the bank the chequebooks were stolen, so you're covered. The bank has no mandate to debit your account (and the system clearly works, they've dishonoured the cheque as they should have), and the anywhere that accepted a forged cheque has no claim against you either :)

That is good to hear, Thanks for the info :beer:

Ricemarine

Lifer
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: dug777

When did you come back dug? :laugh:
I never noticed...
Sneaky aussie.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Yea, I don't even like having my registration in my car, but I havne't found a way around it yet.

I keep my insurance and registration for my motorcycle in my helmet because I don't want them knowing where an insurance paid replacement might show up, or any information about me at all.