Discussion They're bringing crime, they're bringing drugs and some I assume are good SHIPS!

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Container Ship Seized After Record $1.3 Billion Cocaine Bust: CBP

1562783346012.png

Federal prosecutors seized a container ship that had carried 35,000 pounds of cocaine into U.S. waters. The drugs, which were confiscated during a raid of the ship last month, are valued at around $1.3 billion.

The MSC Gayane was seized on July 4 after U.S. Customs and Border Protection obtained a search warrant for the massive vessel, which is roughly the length of three football fields, federal authorities said Monday.

The search warrant was issued after authorities reported “anomalies” in their examinations of seven of the vessel’s shipping containers on June 17. In addition to discovering cocaine, authorities said they found $56,330, believed to be proceeds from illegal activity.

“I have no doubt that our officers saved lives and significantly impacted transnational criminal organizations with this interception,” said Durst.

The MSC Gayane is owned by JPMorgan Asset Management and operated by the Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC), a global shipping company headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.

1.3 Billion. 1.3 Billion.. I'll say that again 1.3 BILLION

Why are we focusing on building a wall and putting children in cages again when the drugs and crimes are just sailing into our ports?

Reactions: Bitek

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Imagine how many rapists and murderers you would have to hire to get that amount of drugs across the southern border.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That seems like a lot of cocaine to be taken out of the economy at one time. I know it is an insignificant amount of cargo compared to everything else probably aboard at the time but somebody got a wee bit greedy methinks.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
That seems like a lot of cocaine to be taken out of the economy at one time. I know it is an insignificant amount of cargo compared to everything else probably aboard at the time but somebody got a wee bit greedy methinks.

Most likely the paperwork didn't make sense because they really only scan about 10% of cargo.

I wonder how many drugs do sneak in when the paperwork isn't shoddy.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I really wonder how high up the ladder a scheme like this goes at these corporations. MSC came out with a statement basically blaming a few corrupt sailors for the smuggling, but I can't imagine a cartel entrusting a billion (!!) dollars of cocaine to some wharf rats. If I'm a J.P. Morgan major shareholder, I'd want a thorough investigation of this entire assets management division.

I also wonder how much of the world's total cocaine production was disrupted in this seizure? 20 tons has to be like the total annual output of an entire south-american country I would think? Pretty crazy how far the ripples flow out from a bust like this. I could see the whole Bolivian government toppling as a result, or some other dramatic events

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
The MSC Gayane is owned by JPMorgan Asset Management and operated by the Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC), a global shipping company headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.

A spokeswoman for JPMorgan’s Asset Management division declined to comment to HuffPost on Wednesday. A representative for MSC did not respond to a request for comment, though in a statement released last month the company said it takes these matters “very seriously.”
This is at least the third drug bust involving a ship operated by MSC this year.
Everything you need to know about why the War on Drugs is a total farce, in a few short paragraphs.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I really wonder how high up the ladder a scheme like this goes at these corporations. MSC came out with a statement basically blaming a few corrupt sailors for the smuggling, but I can't imagine a cartel entrusting a billion (!!) dollars of cocaine to some wharf rats. If I'm a J.P. Morgan major shareholder, I'd want a thorough investigation of this entire assets management division.

I also wonder how much of the world's total cocaine production was disrupted in this seizure? 20 tons has to be like the total annual output of an entire south-american country I would think? Pretty crazy how far the ripples flow out from a bust like this. I could see the whole Bolivian government toppling as a result, or some other dramatic events

https://gcaptain.com/us-authorities-seize-msc-gayane-after-record-drug-bust/

Prior to arriving in Philadelphia on June 16, the MSC Gayane made port calls in Chile, Peru, Panama and the Bahamas. The ship’s final destination was ultimately northern Europe, with calls scheduled at Rotterdam, Antwerp and Le Havre.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Enterprising sailors have been smuggling forever. The two arrested have likely been part of that for a long while if perhaps not at this scale. It may well extend throughout the crew, up to the Captain. As for the home office, all they really want is uneventful voyages, time after time. They're oblivious to stuff like this unless it bites 'em in the ass.

Official estimates of cocaine production run north of 200 metric tons per year & rising. They're probably way low. This seizure will have an effect on the market somewhere but the cartel involved will easily survive the loss.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
How's that wall gonna stop the drugs coming in again? Trump's an idiot, everyone knows this.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
How are they going to dispose of it?

Anyway, they need to legalize it and tax it or whatever.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I know u said it was sarcasm but how about moving the CBP budget around where it can be most effective. Instead of a stupid wall or cages for people.
Do you think a smart wall is a stupid idea? Because it's got support of must Democrats. Although it would be more expensive than a physical barrier.

Well, there Democrats who don't want to dissolve the CBP.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Do you think a smart wall is a stupid idea? Because it's got support of must Democrats. Although it would be more expensive than a physical barrier.

Well, there Democrats who don't want to dissolve the CBP.

Outriding wasn't talking about a so-called smart wall & neither is Trump.