"They won't, but they should"

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/2012/05/kansas-pastor-government-should-kill-gays.html

Kansas pastor: Government should kill gays

by Jeremy Hooper

Curtis Knapp, pastor of Seneca, Kansas' New Hope Baptist Church:

"Oh, so you're saying we should go out and start killing them? No, I'm saying the government should. They won't, but they should."

Isn't it great how he says "they won't, but they should," all pouty like? As if he's talking about the dang government for taxing his smokes and not, oh, you know—genocide.

:D the fun continues...

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I hate it when people cherry pick portions of the Bible and use them without understand what they are talking about.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
It's truly a shame he and I will never meet in person. I'd very gladly make sure he cannot reproduce.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
What a thoroughly reprehensible creature. I would have said human being but I'm pretty sure he doesn't qualify. And the whole "the government should (kill homosexuals), but they won't." Sorry Rev; our government and this country weren't setup or governed by anybody's version of the Bible.

It's amazing what people will let themselves listen to just convince themselves that they "were moved by the spirit" or "heard the word of G-d". The pastor ran out of G-d's words long ago; he's currently playing the Howard Stern gambit - shock 'em into the pews and collection plate every Sunday and generate controversy to grab my 15 minutes of fame (and get some outside donations while he's at it.)

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
"It's a religion of peace."

(Christians like to say this whenever they cherrypick an evil Muslim, so why not.)

I'd love to see a poll, on how many in the Middle East would support... say, killing Jews, and then compare it to the number of nuts over here who'd follow this guy.

You want to bet if there's a difference in those numbers?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'd love to see a poll, on how many in the Middle East would support... say, killing Jews, and then compare it to the number of nuts over here who'd follow this guy.

You want to bet if there's a difference in those numbers?

What's your point? The failings of followers of Islam in no way excuse this guy's behavior.

Christianity, truly showing its colors as the 'religion of peace' here.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
First, understand his point, the one I quoted.

The point is that it's not what is written in your chosen book of myths, but what you do with it.

The problem isn't religion per se. It's extremism, which occurs in all religions. And ironically, it is the extremists in all religions who pay the most attention to the extremists in other belief systems.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The point is that it's not what is written in your chosen book of myths, but what you do with it.

The problem isn't religion per se. It's extremism, which occurs in all religions. And ironically, it is the extremists in all religions who pay the most attention to the extremists in other belief systems.

You have simplified things.

Violence does not come down to that. There are more factors, more reasons, more motivations. The effect of organized physical violence is largely absent here. Gays are not out killing Christians, Christians are not out killing gays. There are exceptions, radicals who are condemned by both sides, but there is no war. No bloodbath as you have in the Middle East.

Equivalency cannot be given to two vastly different scenarios. Towns and villages are not laid siege to, people are not occupied, there is no war zone. People here are not in such poverty and lack of education as over there. We're not clamoring to kill each other.

People of the two religions are living two very different lives. Our experiences over here lead us to greater condemnation of genocide than you see over there, where a certain Persian country has 'solved' the 'gay problem' precisely the way this pastor would have us do.

My point is that your OP grossly neglects the very real differences. You do everyone they kill a grave disservice if you compare systemically condemned Pastors to systemically obeyed Mullahs. Life over there produces greater extremism.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
First, understand his point, the one I quoted. Then you can appreciate the reason I refute the false equivalency. We all condemn the pastor.

There's no false equivalency here, he's simply pointing out the absurdity of the constant 'religion of peace' attacks on Islam.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
The effect of organized physical violence is largely absent here. Gays are not out killing Christians, Christians are not out killing gays. There are exceptions, radicals who are condemned by both sides, but there is no war. No bloodbath as you have in the Middle East.

Maybe not here, and maybe not now. But in other places, gays are routinely persecuted by Christians, and they have been in this country as well until very recently.

There is no war because the numbers are lopsided. Gays have mostly been in hiding.

Equivalency cannot be given to two vastly different scenarios.

I'm not saying the societies are equivalent in their entirety. I'm saying that both religions are based on "holy books" filled with hate; extremists use the hateful passages to justify their hateful behavior, while moderate people look for the wisdom hidden among the nastiness and strive to do better.

People here are not in such poverty and lack of education as over there. We're not clamoring to kill each other.

There are millions of American Muslims who also are not clamoring to kill people. What you are really pointing out is that it is not about religion, it is about culture.

But that doesn't stop knuckledragger right-wing Christians from going "duh, religion of peace" any time they dig up a violent act committed by a Muslim anywhere in the world.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
There's no false equivalency here, he's simply pointing out the absurdity of the constant 'religion of peace' attacks on Islam.

Hypocrisy.

Subtle difference.

Religion should be taken as a guide, especially in the modern world. But so many people lose track of that.

It is still being used, sadly by a slice of society in every culture that is not necessarily the best representative of the whole.

Not saying that there are not intelligent zealots out there, but it seems like the ones that glom onto the "word" tend to be those that didn't quite get it in biology class and needed a better explanation for "Why".

Almost every "religion" seems to be pronouncing themselves as "The religion of peace"* these days, and each has their own definitions of that "peace". Each has had their own transgressions, creative editing, contradictions and limited evolution.

the problem is finding another way to keep the sheeple happy.

Science be praised!

*so long as you believe in the "true" religion....

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Sweet Lord.

Poetic justice:
[Armed soldier] I'm from the government, Pastor Knapp, and I'm here to kill you for being gay.
[Pastor Knapp]What? But I'm not gay!
[Armed soldier] Yeah, they all say that. Sorry, we just can't take that chance. Seems that ten thousand concerned Americans from something called Queer Nation identified you as the leader of the whole godless homosexual movement. Ten thousand concerned Americans can't be wrong, so <BAM!>

Man needs to be beaten senseless (I know, too late!) with a very large Bible so that maybe some of it would sink in.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Sink in like this?

Toht.jpg