They want to free your wallet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
... but put chains on your other parts.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/09/17/values.voters.summit/index.html?hpt=T2

Washington (CNN) -- Hotly energized social conservatives took aim at Washington's political establishment Friday, gathering to celebrate a string of GOP primary upsets this year and promising a revolution at the polls in November.
Speaker after speaker slammed the Obama administration for advancing what was characterized as a left-wing agenda threatening to undermine the country's economy, security and moral foundation.
The fifth annual Values Voters Summit, held in the nation's capital, is a veritable "who's who" of rising Republican stars and possible 2012 presidential contenders: Sens. Jim DeMint of South Carolina and Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma, Gov. Bob McDonnell of Virginia, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, Rep. Mike Pence of Indiana, Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, among others.
Also scheduled to appear at the two-day gathering is the right's newest celebrity, surprise Delaware GOP Senate nominee Christine O'Donnell.
O'Donnell, whose candidacy triggered a vicious intraparty struggle between Tea Party activists and establishment leaders who questioned her qualifications and electability, is being applauded for "valiantly defending faith, family and freedom," said conservative Family Research Council head Tony Perkins, who organizes the yearly conference.
Conservative leaders were unapologetic about backing O'Donnell, who upset moderate 18-year Rep. Mike Castle in Tuesday's primary. Castle was heavily favored to win the seat in November; O'Donnell is considered a long shot underdog.

"Washington has treated Americans like they're stupid for too long," DeMint told the crowd.
"Folks, this is no longer (about) voting for the least worst on the ballot. We've got some candidates that we can be proud of. ... We know when they get to Washington that they are going to stand up and speak for you and the millions of Americans who for years have felt ignored."
DeMint celebrated Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski's primary defeat to Tea Party favorite Joe Miller.
"Some senior Republicans in the Senate ... went out and campaigned on (a platform of) 'you need me because I can bring home the bacon,'" he said. But "even in Alaska, the home of bacon, they threw out that senator and ushered in Joe Miller" because he promised to be more fiscally responsible.
Romney, who quickly jumped on the O'Donnell bandwagon with a $5,000 donation from his political action committee this week, blasted the White House for backing what he claimed are divisive policies that have failed to adequately reverse the economic downturn.
The Obama administration has implemented the most "anti-growth, anti-investment, anti-job measures we've seen in our lifetime," he said, adding that it has "declared war on free enterprise."
The former governor -- a possible 2012 presidential contender -- accused Obama of using the crisis atmosphere in early 2009 to ram through policies not directly tied to recovery efforts.
"America is sick and tired of an administration that exploited the economic crisis instead of solving it," he declared.
Obama, Romney said, is the most divisive president in American history, and is headed for a major loss in November.
"Those who have such contempt for the private sector will soon find themselves back in it," he predicted. The country is ready to repudiate "Obama-style liberalism."
As in years past, the results of a GOP presidential straw poll will be released at the end of the conference. Huckabee won last year's straw poll.

Last edited:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I don't see your outrage other than you apparently hate religion? Am I reading that correctly?

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
I don't see your outrage other than you apparently hate religion? Am I reading that correctly?

Help me out here.
Is this how the Righties campaign? Vote for me so I can defend our faith, but really I'm not going to do anything because of separation of church and state?

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Help me out here.
Is this how the Righties campaign? Vote for me so I can defend our faith, but really I'm not going to do anything because of separation of church and state?

You're half right. They defend the faith by pushing through a bunch of bullshit religious policies then not label it as being religious. Example: abstinence-only education. No study has ever shown this to be an effective sex ed approach, but it's done for religious reasons. They also said stuff about passing constitution changes to ban gay marriage. They even quote the bible when trying to explain why they are against gays.

Status
Not open for further replies.