They just keep getting better and better...

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
[brag]

Wow. I'm a senior in high school. I've decided to major in piano performance , possibly double majoring in music education. I just recently finished up auditions for all the various schools of music, and the offers are rolling in. So far, the scholarship offers, which are all "talent-based" (I don't qualify for need based) have been:

Illinois-Wesleyan University School of Music: $42,000
Lawrence Conservatory of Music: $60,000
Lamont School of Music (Denver): $80,000

I've been accepted to University of Minnesota's School of Music (Twin Cities), and Northern Illinois University's School of Music, but no word on scholarships yet. Still waiting to hear from University of Illinois, Depauw University, and Indiana University. Yeah, I did a lot of auditions.

yay! Scholarship money = teh good. I was happy with most of my auditions, but wow..never expected all this. :)

[/brag]

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
john tesh is piano noob,

to the OP,

good job.

what did you play at auditions?

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Originally posted by: amoeba
john tesh is piano noob,

to the OP,

good job.

what did you play at auditions?

J.S. Bach-Prelude and Fugue in G Minor (WTC Bk I)
Beethoven-Pathetique Sonata in C Minor, op. 13, complete (all three movements)
Chopin-Etude No. 4 in C# Minor (op. 10)
Mendelssohn-Variations Serieuses
Hawes-Toccata for Piano

All major/minor scales and arpeggios, four octaves, 3rds, 6ths, and 10ths. Sightreading, ear dictation, harmonization, and theory tests. All music/scales was memorized ('cept for the sightreading of course).

Not all the schools required all that, but that's what I had to prepare for. I'm tired, lol.

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
Good job. I've never had any interest in musical instruments and still don't, but good to see someone who has a passion for it. What kind of living do professional pianists (spelling?) make in their prime?

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Redhotjrm
Good job. I've never had any interest in musical instruments and still don't, but good to see someone who has a passion for it. What kind of living do professional pianists (spelling?) make in their prime?

It's impossible to average, really. Most professional musicians you'll meet work many jobs. It's not like a 9-5 everyday thing. You teach, you perform, you accompany, odd-jobs, gigs, what have you. I'm still in high school, but currently I teach, play gigs of all sorts (everything from classical chamber groups to jazz combos to musical theater [broadway shows]). I record, I travel, accompany groups, soloists, play in orchestras, pit orchestras...I mean it just gets impossible to list everything. Pro Musicians are the same way. Some may catch big breaks and get rich and famous, most will just make a decent living do all sorts of varied work. The nice thing about being a pianist is there's such a wide range of opportunities to play out there for me. More people need to hire a pianist than say, a euphonium player. Conversely, there are a hell of a lot more pianists than euphonium players.

Stealth1024

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2000
That's excellent.

What pieces did you have to sight read?

I love to play the piano and brought my Yamaha Clavinova to college to keep my occupied (majoring in computer engineering). Although I don't have near the talent to be a concert pianist I just enjoy having fun.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Wow, good for you! Always nice to see someone who can make a living doing what they love.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Shouldn't all of your posts begin with, "And this one time, at band camp..."?

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
How much do piano players make after all your schooling is done? I'm assuming you can do lots of gigs for weddings, tutoring, and theatrical productions and stuff.

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Good luck and great job!

BTW, I live two blocks from Illinois Wesleyan and it's a great school!

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001

Originally posted by: Stealth1024
That's excellent.

What pieces did you have to sight read?

I love to play the piano and brought my Yamaha Clavinova to college to keep my occupied (majoring in computer engineering). Although I don't have near the talent to be a concert pianist I just enjoy having fun.

Sight-reading ranged from some random Mozart Fantasies to Prokofiev Visions Fugitives to Mendelssohn Songs Without Words to odd choral arrangements...etc etc. It varies.

OREOSpeedwagon

Diamond Member
May 30, 2001
Man, this post made me pick up my keyboard again and try to learn Fur Elise again :p I've been playing guitar the last few years and haven't even touched my keyboard. Good luck to ya :)

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Originally posted by: deejayshakur
samples?

I'm giving a full-length recital on April 17th. It will be recorded. Here's the program as it stands right now (yes, there's quite a bit of overlap with the audition program):

Bach-Prelude & Fugue in G Minor
Beethoven-Pathetique Sonata, complete (all mvmts)
Brahms-Intermezzo in A major (op. 118, no. 2)
Chopin-Etude no. 4
Mendelssohn-Variations Serieuses
Hawes-Toccata

Probably about an hour of music right there. I might thrown in a Schumann Novellette, we'll see how it goes.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Congrats...you must suck at piano to get such low bids;)

Seriously, though, and I've never told anyone this.

I have only two true dreams for my life:

Playing the Concerto, Op. 47, In D Minor:
Allegro moderato
Adagio di molto
Allegro, ma non tanto

by SIbelius in front a large audience of 500+
( Iused to be great at violin and even have the music for it)

Playing Rhapsody in Blue on with the full orchestra compliment.
I don't know how to play the piano but will learn.

Now you know my greatest secret. Seriously.

Jascha Heifetz and George Gershwin are my heros.

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

Allegro moderato
Adagio di molto
Allegro, ma non tanto

Mmm I played Rhapsody in Blue (the solo piano version) once upon a time...tough piece, but fun as hell.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: johnjohn320
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

Allegro moderato
Adagio di molto
Allegro, ma non tanto

Mmm I played Rhapsody in Blue (the solo piano version) once upon a time...tough piece, but fun as hell.

I bet.

Though I am picky as hell when it comesto recordings of Gershwin. If they don;t get the syncopated style JUST right, it sounds like Sh!t to me:D

Stealth1024

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2000
I'm curious if you've played the following:

Chopin's Revolutionary Etude
Beethoven's Appassionata Sonata (1st or 3rd part in particular)

Stealth1024

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2000
Also what kind of piano do you have at home? I've never touched a Steinway D, but the Steinway B is just about right to have a place in my house someday :) lol