They got the Satellite!!

Nov 7, 2000
Originally posted by: simms
umm.. weren't they supposed to shoot down their own satellite tomorrow or something? not a spy satellite??
what about THEIR OWN SPY SATELLITE

did i just blow your mind?

RESmonkey

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
That's not the same satellite. This satellite is supposed to be a lot closer or something, and the debris is supposed to be a problem.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Navy Missile Hits Spy Satellite
Feb 20 10:53 PM US/Eastern
By ROBERT BURNS
AP Military Writer
2 Comments
WASHINGTON (AP) - A missile launched from a Navy ship successfully struck a dying U.S. spy satellite passing 130 miles over the Pacific on Wednesday, a defense official said. Full details were not immediately available.

It happened just after 10:30 p.m. EST.

Two officials said the missile was launched successfully. One official, who is close to the process, said it hit the target. He said details on the results were not immediately known.

The goal in this first-of-its-kind mission for the Navy was not just to hit the satellite but to obliterate a tank aboard the spacecraft carrying 1,000 pounds of a toxic fuel called hydrazine.

U.S. officials have said the fuel would pose a potential health hazard to humans if it landed in a populated area. Although the odds of that were small even if the Pentagon had chosen not to try to shoot down the satellite, it was determined that it was worth trying to eliminate even that small chance.

Officials said it might take a day or longer to know for sure if the toxic fuel was blown up.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP)?A defense official says a missile launched from a Navy ship in the Pacific hit the U.S. spy satellite it was targeting 130 miles above Earth's surface. Full details are not yet available.

indamixx99

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2006
Argh, c'mon CNN, show the footage! Been waiting for it but all they're showing right now is this McCain crap that's been on all day.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
I doubt there would be any pic, don't know how many cameras have zoom lenses that can see well into space and all. Maybe a video of the launch, but thats it.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
Pretty impressive, considering the missile they shot it down with wasn't designed for this.

Although I guess there isn't much difference between a ballistic missile and a satellite.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Originally posted by: RESmonkey
That's not the same satellite. This satellite is supposed to be a lot closer or something, and the debris is supposed to be a problem.
Yes, it's the same satellite. Or was.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
So, should I stand in my backyard hoping to catch a piece of it when it falls?

I figure a bucket at the end of a pole would do.