They got Eric Frein!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
You can care about murders and criminals, I'm going to care about the decent humans of the world.

Of which you are not one of....

Decent humans, apart maybe from extremely emotionally distraught such as the victims family, don't wish the torture of another human regardless of how horrible an act they have committed. Decent humans stand up for the rights of all because they know that once those rights can be violated for the few it almost always leads to them being violated for the many. Decent humans do not find joy or comfort in the suffering of other humans.

So umm, thanks I guess, but us actual decent humans would rather not have you as a cheerleader.

Nov 29, 2006
Of which you are not one of....

Decent humans, apart maybe from extremely emotionally distraught such as the victims family, don't wish the torture of another human regardless of how horrible an act they have committed. Decent humans stand up for the rights of all because they know that once those rights can be violated for the few it almost always leads to them being violated for the many. Decent humans do not find joy or comfort in the suffering of other humans.

So umm, thanks I guess, but us actual decent humans would rather not have you as a cheerleader.

WTF are you talking about? I've never advocated torture, but I do support the death penalty. I'm not a murderer lover like you.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Frein is almost a 21st century McVeigh, without the mass murder.

When I worked "inside the Beltway" during the '90s, our organization had become flush with new hires picked up from losing Republican legislators -- "merit-promotion system" be damned. [Civil Service has become corrupted in a more modern version of the spoils system, and citizens should be outraged about it. They just don't know -- or haven't extensively seen -- the extent. It is evident through bureaucratic embarrassments over the last decade or longer: the Minerals Management Service and Big Oil in the wake of Deep Horizon; the GSA scandal, which would make any dedicated public servant puke; the IRS scandal -- a result of a corruption of the 501(c) statutes and understaffing of IRS under GOP influence; scandals in the Defense Department -- a litany that extends "around the block and down the street."]

A couple of the "pick-ups" who contaminated my office during the '90s were affiliated with right-wing militias in western Pennsylvania. I discovered one of them drafting contributions to a militia newspaper on government time.

We are actually lucky that our government is a three-tiered system. There is no sympathy for a cop-killer who murders the local police. But Frein's mindset is nothing new.

And as I said, it has infiltrated government offices which we expect to function toward the intended legislation and regulations. You only see the "exterior paint" shown in the occasional newsprint scandal stories.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Allow me to show you just how much more a cops life is worth than everyone else's:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/1...n-trick-or-treating-ban-in/?intcmp=latestnews

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/0...n-cop-killing-puts-deer-season-local-economy/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/2...l-through-pa-woods-in-hunt-for-suspected-cop/

A cops life is worth so much more than yours that the death of a single cop can and has resulted in many people not even being able to go home or to work. It's worth shutting down entire sections of a town with those inside trapped and those outside locked out regardless of need or right to go friggen home. I have never heard of anything like this over someone who killed exactly one person.

Frankly, by the statements made by the police he never sounded like a danger to the public at all, he was only a danger to police officers. Might I add that police officers voluntarily took a job they well knew beforehand could and would put their lives at risk.
Agree with your sentiments. I am completely opposed to, for example, people receiving more punishment for killing a police officer than a non-police officer. I find it fundamentally unfair on a human level. One's title does not elevate their murder above another who has no title at all.

Also, it sounds like the height of stupidity--not surprisingly, though--to go to such lengths to catch this guy. As pointed out, no murderer of a non police officer receives such attention, even if it is thought he is likely to commit murder again. I imagine some breaking of the constitution occurred with what you quoted, but we're not likely to see anybody raise much of a stink over it.

Nov 29, 2006
You want the Iranian system instead?

I dunno does the legal system use the term 'death penalty' and mean it, or do they just say it to tease you when they really meant an arbitrary time in prison with the option for parole at some future time? I'm not up on the Iranian justice system.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
WTF are you talking about? I've never advocated torture, but I do support the death penalty. I'm not a murderer lover like you.

+1.
Solitary confinement for life. Same lousy tasteless food every day, every meal. Nothing to read, nothing to see, nothing to hear but your own voice and the voice of your victim(s). Much worse than death IMO.

Yeah, fuck that constitution thingy and all that shit. Let's do something even worse, by your own admission, than we are putting the guy in there for!

Yeah fuck the guy that denied some else's right to pursue life, liberty and happiness. Let's not care about the victims, but instead about the murders.

Right there.... Anything else I can help you with?

And protecting our rights is not a murderer lover, I personally believe its our patriotic duty. I'm sorry that you don't like certain parts of the Bill of Rights but personally I like, and will continue to defend, all of them.

As far as the death penalty goes, I have moved farther and farther away from supporting it over the years. I used to be a staunch defender of it but not anymore. For one we have in fact executed innocent people, who should get charged with that murder? Secondly it actually costs more to put someone to death than to lock them up for life and we get too much shit wrong in the justice system to remove all of the appeals processes. Third most states that do have the death penalty don't use it very much, in some states prisoners on death row are more likely to die of old age than by execution. Lastly it isn't a deterrent so I don't really see a good argument for the state to kill people.

With that said, I won't be all that sad if he does end up getting the death penalty.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Well, one could say you're 'hearing it from him' with his handwritten notes:

"Fri Sept 12th got a shot around 11pm and took it. He droped [sic]....I was surprised at how quick. I took a follow up shot on his head/kneck neck area.

"He was still and quiet after.....Another cop approached the one I just shot. As he went to kneel I took a shot at him and jumped in the door. His legs were visible and still."

I assume there has been handwriting analysis confirming it's from the man in question? Has that been stated or do you have inside knowledge that none of us do?

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Wow, a lot of very stupid people in this thread.

Those in the criminal justice branch are given added protections because the crime against them isn't interpersonal, it is against the very system by which we have agreed to be judged.
If I kill an intruder, we have had an interpersonal difference over their presence in my house. If I then kill the cop investigating the killing, the disagreement isn't interpersonal, I am in disagreement over his authority. I am claiming that I am the final authority over all and that I can not be held to anyone else's standards.
A person can have an interpersonal difference and still agree that he falls under the justice system. He is regulated by that acknowledgement. A person who kills cops is asserting that he refuses any regulation of his behavior. Such a person is incredibly dangerous, so we kill them.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

Those in the criminal justice branch are given added protections because the crime against them isn't interpersonal, it is against the very system by which we have agreed to be judged.
If I kill an intruder, we have had an interpersonal difference over their presence in my house. If I then kill the cop investigating the killing, the disagreement isn't interpersonal, I am in disagreement over his authority. I am claiming that I am the final authority over all and that I can not be held to anyone else's standards.
A person can have an interpersonal difference and still agree that he falls under the justice system. He is regulated by that acknowledgement. A person who kills cops is asserting that he refuses any regulation of his behavior. Such a person is incredibly dangerous, so we kill them.

Beyond that, this was a situation where a man killed a person, and then disappeared into the woods with every intention of killing more. There would have been a massive manhunt even if the person wasn't a cop.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

And that's different from a murderer having the "final authority" over which civilians live or die, how exactly?

If he hated liberals and only shot at liberals would why would he be less dangerous to society at large than shooting at the people that when shot at WILL catch your ass? Please do explain.