They finished counting most of the votes in Alaska

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
link

Stevens is losing by 3 votes.....

Begich, Mark DEM 125019 47.24%
Stevens, Ted REP 125016 47.24%

I guess everyone's vote is important....

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
i think they have more absentee ballots to count. i just can't believe how close this thing is....

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsei
i think they have more absentee ballots to count. i just can't believe how close this thing is....

Due to Alaskas size and wilderness I heard there are tons of absentee ballots every election.
Here's hoping for 58*

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I think Palin is changing the counts so that Alaska doesn't become the laughing stock of the nation.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
The US should sell Alaska back to Russia, the place is an embarrassment. How a guy with multiple felony conviction is winning like this (or rather has any votes) and their governor is an imbecile, I don't even think Canada would want Alaska.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
The US should sell Alaska back to Russia, the place is an embarrassment. How a guy with multiple felony conviction is winning like this (or rather has any votes) and their governor is an imbecile, I don't even think Canada would want Alaska.

We'd have done well to sell Washington DC back to the indians as well...

uli2000

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2006

You mean like William Jefferson or John Murtha too, right?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: uli2000

Links to said felony CONVICTIONS?

IF Jefferson is ever convicted, toss his ass out of Congress and into FPIMTA prison as well. (which is where Stevens belongs)

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002

He's appealing it so he isn't technically convicted, though he will be. I suspect the only reason he's running is because of enormous pressure from the GOP - they need to keep the seats. If he does win he'll be asked to resign and I'm sure Palin will become the new Senator.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Dari
I think Palin is changing the counts so that Alaska doesn't become the laughing stock of the nation.

Regardless of what she does, it already is.

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Tab

He's appealing it so he isn't technically convicted, though he will be. I suspect the only reason he's running is because of enormous pressure from the GOP - they need to keep the seats. If he does win he'll be asked to resign and I'm sure Palin will become the new Senator.

Huh? Stevens IS "technically" convicted. He was convicted by a jury of his peers. Appeals are about overturning a conviction and granting a new trial. Until/unless that happens he currently is convicted, not pending conviction.

If he wasn't a c. 90 yr old Senator his ass would be in jail now awaiting sentencing not out and about claiming innocence.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
As of right now Begich is 814 votes ahead.

Begich, Mark DEM 132196 47.41%
Bird, Bob AI 11315 4.06%
Gianoutsos, Ted NA 1140 0.41%
Haase, Fredrick D. LIB 2086 0.75%
Stevens, Ted REP 131382 47.12%
Write-in Votes 718 0.26%

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: wirelessenabled

Huh? Stevens IS "technically" convicted. He was convicted by a jury of his peers. Appeals are about overturning a conviction and granting a new trial. Until/unless that happens he currently is convicted, not pending conviction.

If he wasn't a c. 90 yr old Senator his ass would be in jail now awaiting sentencing not out and about claiming innocence.

I read that technically he isn't convicted, because that designation comes after sentencing. So it is a minor technicality, for all intents and purposes he is convicted.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

I don't think Palin can appoint herself, so she would have to resign as govenor and have her replacement appoint her. I'm not sure that would go over to well considering how she got elected in the first place. her predecessor lost because he appointed his daughter to the senate.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Repubs won't be able to handle this, they'll just "fix" it by recount.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: uli2000

Murtha was never even indicted, much less convicted.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Well my link is from the NYT, yesterday, so I will keep following the news. But has it Begish by 3. But I wish I had a better instant replay.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenat...vQRLrHmELLwPAWL.D9wxIF

Consider the following facts.

1. Polls immediately before the election showed Begish with a 60-40 lead. With the Stevens poll number showing an earlier fall after the jury convicted.

2. Immediately after the election results, Stevens somehow came out with a three or four thousand vote plurality. In amazing variance with polls. Explainable perhaps by an Alaskan reflex
to vote for Stevens, by also explainable by massive Diebold type fraud. But after some initial rechecking, and for one solid week after the election, as the Stevens lead settled at about 3000,
little was done to count the absentee votes. At least until now when the efforts STARTS.

3. As I recall, there were some 32,000 absentee ballots in Alaska, and if so, and they are only 12,000 remaining absentees to be counted now, means some 20,000 absentees got counted. But regardless of numbers, two bottom lines, all of the Stevens lead vanished in counting a sub set of absentees and absentee ballots, because they are hard paper, cannot be stolen by electronic Diebold type fraud.

As I earlier said, I wish I had better instant replay, but if my raw number estimate of recently counted absentees of 20,000 is in the ball park, that means absentees went to Begish by a 11,500 v 8500 split of 57.5% Begish. And not far from the last polling data of a 60 40 split. And with 12,000 absentees yet to count, if those trend lines hold, Begish should pick up another 1800 votes. I have no idea of whats up in the other 35,000 counted votes to be reviewed, but this election certainly bears watching. And the comment of watch out for your glasses applies also. Something just does not smell right.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Nate from 538 predicted a narrow Begich victory based on the statistical absentee trend toward Begich. Dam him, does he ever get anything wrong? :)