Discussion These US Republican Congress members who claim that they are from the party of Lincoln, should realy explain how these bills fit that phrase.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
US Congress members Clay Higgins, Michael Turner, Tom Rice, and Dan Newhouse, have some explaining to do, as to why they feel if Lincoln was alive he would have supported these bills they recently proposed.

These bills really sure do a good representation of the party of Lincoln. /s

H.R.7892 - To prohibit certain persons from purchasing agricultural real estate in the United States, and for other purposes.
H.R.7905 - To amend the Voting Rights Act of 1965 to revise the criteria for determining which States and political subdivisions are subject to section 4 of the Act, and for other purposes.
H.R.7895 - To amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 to terminate the authority to make Federal direct PLUS loans, and for other purposes.
H.R.7914 - To prohibit the use of Federal funds to carry out Executive Order 14074.
FYI for those who do not know.... Executive Order 14074 is named "Advancing Effective, Accountable Policing and Criminal Justice Practices to Enhance Public Trust and Public Safety".

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
My hunch is Lincoln would have said "what's in them?". Pretty much the same question everyone should ask.

Also, is this more breaking news from the p&n news desk? It seems like we're short some exclamation points.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What if politics has become identity, a manifestation of ego which is the shield behind which we hide our feelings of worthlessness. It the sense of worthiness afforded by belonging to the best tribe, similar to being a member of the one and only true religion were to be threatened, then I see no issue at all in massively capable one could become at rationalizing to the maximum of ones capacity. But good luck understanding this because we are all playing the same game and nobody will let that cat out of the bag. Well almost no one.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
What if politics has become identity, a manifestation of ego which is the shield behind which we hide our feelings of worthlessness. It the sense of worthiness afforded by belonging to the best tribe, similar to being a member of the one and only true religion were to be threatened, then I see no issue at all in massively capable one could become at rationalizing to the maximum of ones capacity. But good luck understanding this because we are all playing the same game and nobody will let that cat out of the bag. Well almost no one.
Interesting concept, but it doesn't answer the fundamental question, what's in the bills? The links don't have the text listed so we can't see the content. I'll go ahead and guess that they will require some content before they make it to the House floor.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Interesting concept, but it doesn't answer the fundamental question, what's in the bills? The links don't have the text listed so we can't see the content. I'll go ahead and guess that they will require some content before they make it to the House floor.
There are different ways to look at a question like what Lincoln would say about recent Republican legislation were he here today. An answer like yours would obviously be correct, he would have to read them then weigh his thoughts on them before he could answer. But the OP had already done that for him in the OP's imagination because the OP believes a priori he knows what Lincoln would say based on history.

I have no problem with the way you answered because I have an a priori assumption I make about you, that you are deeply and properly morally opposed to the ease with which people make negative judgments about other people. I think this, I would say properly conservative mental attitude you have and that everybody really should have, irritates people who have already come to such negative condemnatory moral conclusions, based on their own inner moral standards, say here, that modern Republicans have embraced and are tending to become not only more and more racist but also more anti-democratic.

Personally, I took another tack. I don't like liberal judgmentalism, the knee-jerk triggered side of it, but I feel the rage against injustice and unfairness that triggers it, so instead I expressed my understanding of what lies behind all of this, the struggle all of us have in self confidence we are members of the proper and real moral side. I focus there because of what I experienced long ago when I lost all my sacred beliefs that I was on such a team. I discovered I actually knew nothing at all about the truth. But that has an odd effect. I knew also that all those around me who had not discovered the same, who still retained such external group identifications, did not know they don't know anything either, that everything we identify with externally is bull shit.

It is this feeling of need to feel good about ourselves that is not necessary at all because there is nothing we need to hide behind as a false source of self respect. Life loves life and we had life before we had a need to identify with anything.

Two tigers for a man hanging by tiring arms from a root on a cliff, one above and one below. And there on the cliff grew a strawberry that tasted so good.

Jun 4, 2022
Greenman really fits your name, as you are to green to use bodily energy to think what the text could be, based of the title of the bills.