These i7 4770K Temperatures Are Normal?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

feelingtheblank

Jan 3, 2014
In Bios stock vcore is around 1.024. However when Turbo Boost kicks in it is 1.156. And with AVX loads it is reaching up to 1.21. So now I understand the basic mechanics here. Manual overclocking is the way I need to go and I can reach even cooler temps with higher frequencies.

By the way I also regret a bit about buying MSI z87-g43, since it has fewer power phases than most of the z87 boards out there and the quality of VRMs are questionable. And I wonder if it will block my future overclock stability&durability. I was a bit hasty before the long awaited upgrade and looks like I've made a small but somewhat important mistake here. However I can fix this and switch to a Gigabyte z87x-d3h (but as far as researched dozens of people are having problems running with 4 sticks of RAM on that board and no solutions yet so far). Any suggestions?

Last edited:

difrio77

Mar 10, 2014
Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded my good old Core2Duo rig and bought a new cpu-motherboard-ram trio. My new specs is as follows:

- i7 4770K @ stock speed + Coolermaster 212Evo cpu cooler
- MSI z87 g43 motherboard
- 2x4 GB G-Skill Ripjaws X 1866Mhz
- Case: Corsair Carbide 400R

The problem is I wasn't aware of that new Haswell cpus are running slightly hotter and now I'm little bit worried about my temperatures. Since I was also planning to overclock my cpu a bit and trying to find a point that doesn't need a vast voltage increase, I'm losing my sleeps over this situation at the moment. :p

Anyways. I'm using softwares like HWmonitor, Coretemp, Realtemp and Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Turbo Boost is also active. So the cpu is going up until 3.9 GHz. Other than that I'm on stock speeds, and motherboard's default values. Here are my temperatures:

Ambient room temp: Varies between 23-25 °C

Idle: 28-30 °C

While playing demanding games like Battlefield 4: Max 58-65°C

With Intel Extreme Tuning's stress test for 15 mins: max 65-70 °C

With Prime 95 Blend and OCCT burn tests for 15 mins: max 78-82 °C

I also run realtemp's sensor test and the values are identical since it's using Prime95 too.

I also noticed that Prime 95 and OCCT is increasing my cpu voltage value from 1.156 to 1.22 while Intel Extreme Tuning's stress test is using the default voltage. Couldn't understand why. Will I encounter these kinds of random voltage increases during normal tasks? Like playing games, rendering some stuff etc..?

On the other hand I tried motherboard's OC Genie future to see what happens. It overclocked the cpu automatically to 4.1 GHz @1.15v. With this setting I've seen max of 70-72 °C for a second and mostly 65-68°C under OCCT stress test. And also my voltage didn't increase at all. I'm a bit confused about these values. Since with default settings I'm getting hotter values.

So I'm wondering if my temperature values are normal with the cpu cooler i have (Coolermaster 212evo)?

I also could buy some extra fans for my case (1 exhaust to top & 1 intake to side) and maybe a second fan for the cpu cooler if you guys think that these would help a bit.

Sorry for my English by the way. I'm not a native speaker.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions already.

Best
what are your temps with prime 95 small ftts benchmark ?