These Anti-Gun nuts should find new representation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Venix

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2002

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
So gun that can probably never be legally owned by a civilian is the problem and needs to be banned? Way to go. I am so glad these people are looking out for our safety.

It's just a semi-auto SBR. Not really a big deal. Hell, I can buy one in Canada.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
It's just a semi-auto SBR. Not really a big deal. Hell, I can buy one in Canada.

The articles on that I'm seeing are a bit inconsistent.

I think the general gist of what's going on is that he's holding up an SBR (illegal to own in CA unless it's a pistol configuration) and is probably missing the disconnector spring so that it fires repeatedly until it runs out of ammunition (home made full auto).

His bill is supposed to be making it illegal to 'print' your own guns using 3D printers, aka plastic guns that can't be detected by metal detectors (which is also asinine as they'd capable of firing one shot, if that, before being rendered inoperable) or requiring people to put pieces of metal into them and registering them as firearms.

Our politicians in CA are idiots.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...ned-of-30-caliber-clip-in-embarrassing-video/

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Bad as that is, this is worse:

dftf2.jpg

So much wrong here. Magazine inserted in the receiver, so no immediate way to determine that it's not loaded. Finger on trigger, firearm not pointed in a safe direction, her attention clearly not on where the firearm is pointed.

This picture alone puts Feinstein firmly in the "fucking idiot" category.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Bad as that is, this is worse:

dftf2.jpg

So much wrong here. Magazine inserted in the receiver, so no immediate way to determine that it's not loaded. Finger on trigger, firearm not pointed in a safe direction, her attention clearly not on where the firearm is pointed.

This picture alone puts Feinstein firmly in the "fucking idiot" category.

Isn't pointing a gun at someone pretty much a felony offense if they aren't attacking you?

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Isn't pointing a gun at someone pretty much a felony offense if they aren't attacking you?

I don't know about that, but it is illegal to have a high capacity magazine in DC, but David Gregory and NBC were allowed to have one in their studio, since it was used to promote an anti-gun agenda. So that makes it ok.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...8f77da-4f76-11e2-8b49-64675006147f_story.html

D.C. gun laws prohibit possessing a “large capacity ammunition feeding device” — defined as holding more than 10 rounds — regardless of whether it is attached to a firearm and whether there are bullets in it. The offense is a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

“NBC contacted [D.C. police] inquiring if they could utilize a high capacity magazine for their segment. NBC was informed that possession of a high capacity magazines is not permissible and their request was denied.

So it was against the law, NBC asked if they could use it anyway, the police said, "No." They went ahead and used it anyway as a prop, and ultimately the DC district attorney decided not to prosecute. So "rules for thee, but not for me!" is the mantra of the anti-gun establishment.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010

Thanks for the link

Really interesting reading, obviously I only skim read it, it makes some very valid points. Particularly about the portrayal of the NRA (which I DO NOT believer to be some horrible monstrous organisation) Also some of the statistics appear to be inaccurate (although my own research determines gun deaths per country to be relatively accurate) He also points out (validly) that the purchase of ammunition in Canada as a foreign citizen was illegal. All fair points.

But for the point that I was making that is quite well explored through the film is the fact that America has a very high gun-related death compared to other countries, either with similar laws or with laws banning guns. He asks the question of why this is and I think it's right conclude that the mass fear and sensationalism in American media creates a slightly paranoid culture of fear throughout America. Which is unhealthy when combined with guns that are so easy to come by (comparatively)

The link you sent me mentions this

Or as he put it elsewhere, "then I learned that Canada has 7 million guns but they don't kill each other like we do. I thought, gosh, that's uncomfortably close to the NRA position: Guns don't kill people, people kill people."

Bowling concludes that Canada isn't peaceful because it lacks guns and gun nuts -- it has lots of those -- but because the Canadian mass media isn't into constant hyping of fear and loathing, and the American media is.

So, no I don't agree with everything Michael More says, I also agree that some of it was exaggerated beyond degree to make it entertaining for audiences, but the underlying question of "Should guns be legal in America" I conclude no. For this and many other reasons.

I mentioned the film in this thread because the OP posted what he considered "Anti-Gun nut representation" and I thought this was better representation of what we "anti-gun nuts" think.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Tech tip: don't load an extended magazine to its full capacity as it makes it more likely to jam.