thermaltake tr2 600nl2nh enough?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by tygeezy, Dec 31, 2012.

1. tygeezy

tygeezy Member

So my girlfriend got herself an i7 3930k processor. I got her a geforce 660 for x-mas, she has a 240 gb ssd from Kingston. She has this old psu laying around and i'm a little bit worried about throwing that in with her system. She says she doesnt want to be wasteful and use it, but I had an old thermaltake and when I threw in my geforce 480 (which admittedly draws a bit more power) completely overloaded my power supply and in turn took out quite a few of my components along with the motherboard.

My suggestion was to get an enthusiast series corsair 650 watt or maybe the season x series 650 watt that they have for 90 dollars on egg. She didn't really understand and didn't think it would be much of an upgrade. I told her just because it was similar in rated wattage didn't make them equal.

What are you guys thinking? Can she get away with this guy or should she splurge a little. She would also like to let it be known that the psu has barely been used.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - thermaltake 600nl2nh Forum Date
    Thermaltake Toughpower TPD-0750M any good? Power Supplies Feb 17, 2017
    The (new - current) ThermalTake TR2-430 430W ATX PSU? Power Supplies Jul 29, 2016
    PSU - Thermaltake / XFX or other? Power Supplies Jun 26, 2015
    Will this Thermaltake PSU be good enough to replace a dying Antec TPT? Power Supplies Jan 30, 2015

3. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

I can't seem to find any info on that PSU. It's not this, and it's not this either. Thermaltake doesn't have it on their site. This thread is the first google result.

Thermaltake isn't exactly a great PSU brand but they do have some high quality units. The rig you describe doesn't need more than a 450-500W unit, so even a mediocre 600W unit should be just fine. But if she can afford a 3930K, I don't really see a reason not to get a unit she can rely on. The new TX650 at $60 AR AP is probably the best deal on

4. tygeezy

tygeezy Member

She ended up getting the seasonic x 750 from egg. I'm actually going to borrow th
    At thermaltake from her and use for a short time for my little bro. The corsair 650 I got for him a year ago doesn't work.

I put together this old q6600 for him and figured the board was dead from long periods of ocing.

I put together an ivy bridge i5 and this new comp wouldn't start up. Took out the power supply and thought I would short it out to see if it turned on. No dice... I got this thing from frys a year ago. I have no idea where the receipt is but I still have the boxing. I'm hoping frys let's me exchange it for selling me a bunk power supply. Never thought I would get a doa from corsair.

5. dma0991

dma0991 Platinum Member

The Seasonic X750 is a great PSU but you don't need that much for a Core i7 3930K and a Nvidia 660 GPU. 500W is enough assuming that your girlfriend bought a 6 core beast for specific work related reasons which doesn't include overclocking.

6. tygeezy

tygeezy Member

She got it from a friend who is in the retail edge program. The guy sold it to her for 190 dollars...insane. she really doesn't need that much power of course. She uses a lot of photoshop and lightroom for work though.

7. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

She overpaid by about double, the PSU is overkill in every respect

8. tygeezy

tygeezy Member

Indeed it is but she only paid 90 dollars for it. It should last a very long time and it is quite an upgrade over her thermaltake.

9. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

Didn't you just say she paid 190 dollars for it above...?

For only 90 dollars it's definitely very nice, no disagreement there.

10. tygeezy

tygeezy Member

She paid 90 dollars for th3 psu. The processor was 190 dollars.