Thermal throttle caused by motherboard or cpu?

Diogo13350

Dec 9, 2018
Hello guys, i have this probleme for years but just now that i start understanding how a PC works i reliesed that my pc is thermal throttling and getting massive FPS drops in all games!Any advice about this temperature readings ??Capturar.PNG

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Get a better board, preferably one designed for 8-core FX CPUs. It appears that your VRMs are overheating, and the chipset is sending a signal to the platform/environment-control logic, to trigger CPU throttling. (Normally, your CPU would not hit 209C. At least, I hope not.)

Reactions: Diogo13350

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That should work. That being said, I would like to hear from someone else to weigh in on this problem, maybe there's something I'm missing.

My logic goes like this: It's unlikely that your CPU is hitting 209C, without consequences, so that has to be a false reading... created by the PECI (well, that's what it's called in Intel land) logic, whereas there's a bi-dir overheat signal, that can be triggered by the CPU, if overheating, or the chipset, to throttle the CPU. My understanding is that when the VRMs overheat, on most AM3+ boards, they signal the CPU to throttle, by programming the temp sensor or whatnot signal, to show 200C+ temps. Which would not ordinarily be reachable by CPU overheating alone.

Plus, your HWMonitor shows one of the temps near 90C+, that's probably the mobo temps (VRMs).

Does anyone concur with my logic?

If that board has VRM heatsinks (which I doubt, given the temps), but if it did, you could zip-tie a 120mm case fan in the region, and maybe cool them down that way.

Diogo13350

Dec 9, 2018
I can confirm it's not reaching 209 °C, the computer never shuts it self down and there is no damaged components. I have a heatsink with new thermal paste and 4 fans in the case so colling is not the probleme, I am 100% it's just a bad reading that's causing this thermal throttle! I am pretty sure it's the motherboard not being made for 8 core cpu.