Question Thermal paste that is resistant to pump out

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I'm having trouble with a laptop overheating because of 'pump out', possibly for an old gpu as well. The pump out issue seems more likely to happen on bare dies compared to chips with heatspreaders.
The comments in this video said hydronaut was a good choice, and I read somewhere that kryonaut had a pump out issue. I'm looking at hydronaut, gc extreme - what is the go to choice for a non-exotic paste (no expensive liquid metal stuff) for bare die applications?

Last edited:

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
GC extreme is a bad choice for laptops. In my experience for laptops both Coolermaster MasterGel Maker Nano and Thermalright TFX are really good performer. Because of the high viscosity of Thermalright TFX it shouln't pump out as fast as others but I have to warn you it's super hard to spread. Coolermaster MasterGel Maker Nano is much easier to spread but will likely dry out faster than TFX.

Reactions: bononos

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I'll give the mastergel maker a try. After doing some searching and reading, it looks like keeping the temps down to 70C, maybe slightly higher, helps to reduce the pump out effect. Low pressure applications like some gpus and laptops also make it worse.

Another thing I noticed was internet comments/reviews that complained about thick pastes that felt too watery and it could be due to separation, and might explain the bad results some people were getting.

clemsyn

Aug 21, 2005
Thermal paste pump out effect is an issue I get quite often on my laptops. I finally switched to IC Graphite thermal pads on my laptops and they are holding up great.