Thermal paste question :)

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by mojothehut, Mar 2, 2012.

1. mojothehut

mojothehut Senior member

Hey all,
    So I've just purchased a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064&Tpk=cooler master tx3
    To replace the stock cooling on my AMD 975.
    Im kind of sick of the loud noise my amd stock fan makes..

Anyway, when I put the stock fan on, it had a thin layer of silver thermal paste. I know when I go to swap heatsinks out, that stuff will be baked all over my cpu. Is there a safe way to clean it off in order to put new paste that comes with my new purchase? Or should I just slap some new paste on top of the old residue left behind from the stock heatsink?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Thermal paste question Forum Date
    Dumb, n00b question about thermal paste on the CPU/Heatsink CPUs and Overclocking Dec 26, 2010
    Few questions regarding thermal paste and cooling for a Centrino CPUs and Overclocking Oct 13, 2006
    question on thermal paste for a p4 cpu. need to replace? CPUs and Overclocking Jun 7, 2006
    Quick question: Thermal paste required for AMD 4400+ installation?? CPUs and Overclocking Apr 21, 2006
    Newbie Question: AMD X2, Stock HSF, and Thermal Paste CPUs and Overclocking Feb 10, 2006

3. KingFatty

KingFatty Diamond Member

Wiping it off is ok, even with a paper towel. Fingerprints are OK too, they don't really affect temps. Just don't leave a rock or other object sitting there to interfere with the fit between the parts and cause an air gap. You want good contact between them.

If you want to really get into it, you can use varying grades of sandpaper to polish the surface down to a mirror finish. That definitely gets all the old stuff off.

4. Charlie98

Charlie98 Diamond Member

^^^^ This. It doesn't have to be surgically clean, but you want to get the old stuff off as best you can.

5. Edrick

Edrick Golden Member

I use rubbing alcohol to take off the old paste.

6. Jman13

Jman13 Senior member

I always wipe off the old grease with a paper towel, then use a cotton ball or makeup sponge (if you are or live with a woman, you will probably easily be able to find these) and use isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface, which removes thermal grease super fast and makes it quite clean, plus it evaporates quickly so you don't risk damage to your components.

7. cytoSiN

cytoSiN Platinum Member

Paper towel then Q-tip and 91% isopropyl alcohol.

8. EliteRetard

EliteRetard Diamond Member

9. mojothehut

mojothehut Senior member

10. EliteRetard

EliteRetard Diamond Member

I figured the question would come up :p