thermal paste discoloration?

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000
I've had some of the radio shack stuff on my slotA tbird for a while (few months or so), and I just removed the heatsink today to replace it with a p7125

The radio shack stuff apparently switches from grease to adhesive after a while, or there was a really tight vaccuum. It was pretty hard to pull off. anyway, after it was off I noticed that near the center area (where the core is, through the heat plate) the paste had a slight orange-ish tint. is that normal? After wiping off most of the paste from the heat plate, there was a thin layer of gray stuff that only came off with liquid. Is that normal?

thx

nam ng

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
It's perfectly normal for HS compound to change color after it's been in use, some do some don't dependent on how it was made.

CTho9305

Elite Member
Jul 26, 2000
good to hear. still, i should prolly see if I can get some arctic silver cheap somewhere...

Shmorq

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000

<< arctic silver cheap somewhere... >>

Check out here. It's for $8 including free shipping, but I believe they only accept paypal. Also, everhthingconnected.com is listed under Arctic Silver's authorized dealers and distributors.

jamarno

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2000
Thermal paste is a mixture of oil and powders, and silicone oil is slightly orange or yellow. The grey may be aluminum oxide.

Don't worry. I have Radio Shack and Dow Corning thermal paste 25 years old that's still fine, in one case in a stereo amplifier with transistors that operate at about 80C.