Thermal paste, ah explosion...?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
That thermal compound shouldn't have caused any damage. Are you sure the heatsink didn't pull the CPU out with it and leave a pin behind in the socket? Because I've seen that happen...

Reactions: paperfist

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
That thermal compound shouldn't have caused any damage. Are you sure the heatsink didn't pull the CPU out with it and leave a pin behind in the socket? Because I've seen that happen...

Did you see the amount and locations of the compound? As far as I've read even if he used AMD compound it still has silver in it.

No pins left in the socket. Unfortunately, the way I got the computer he already had the HSF off and the CPU was still in the socket. It was set in correctly, but I'm not sure how he connected the HSF & bracket. The compound didn't look like the HSF was even mounted to is so he could have added more before giving it to me. It's possible he shorted it out with the bracket or damaged the CPU by running it without the HSF. I'm not 100% on how the demise of the CPU was brought about, but it really looked like the compound was the culprit.

I took the CPU to a friend of mine who runs a tech shop just to have him test out the CPU incase the MB was the culprit and it was dead. Who knows it could have even been DoA from where he bought it from.

Reactions: Charlie22911

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
I find it both amusing and tragic at the same time.
Hopefully you and he can use it as an opportunity in learning, reading directions and asking for help when needed.

Lorne

Feb 5, 2001
There are electronic aerosol spray can, Wipe the thick of it with paper towel, Hold the board upside down and go to town with the can.

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
You can see how something like this could happen if you also factor in the obvious inexperience and ignorance involved.

Many CPU coolers come with those stupid 'little' bags of thermal paste and, if you had not read the accompanying instructions or those were inadequate/badly translated it might be thought that you were meant to use it all.

You can not really save the remaining paste once the bag is opened so that wrong assumption is just about understandable and some mitigation for what occurred.

Still it sounds like an expensive and salutatory lesson for all parties involved. I hope the mess is eventually sorted out satisfactorily.