• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Thermal Compound on CPU pins and on motherboard socket - Do anything about it, or let it stay?

CharlesIngramWWTBM

Mar 1, 2021
I have been having Thermal Compound on the CPU pins and on motherboard socket, don't ask me how it's possbile, I really don't know.

However, I have never had any tried starting it, or having other problems, and it's most likely been like this for months.

Is there any risk regarding other components in the computer, such as the Graphics Card, or would you suggest the best thing perhaps to do is just keep it as it is?
Or should I be worried about installing new Graphics Card to the motherboard, considering the situation with the CPU pins and motherboard socket?

I have been told by others that considering it's working fine, that it's a bigger risk something goes wrong if I try to clean it away now with alcohol or whatever, and that it shouldn't affect the graphics card on the motherboard anyways.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
As long as it's non-conductive for electricity (and if it's been there for a while, it probably is), you're OK.

That's why I love Arctic Silver Ceramique 2. Fewer chances to mess up than Arctic Silver 5, and just as thermally efficient.

CharlesIngramWWTBM

Mar 1, 2021
I don't know if it's non-conductive or not.
I am not even sure what thermal paste is on there.

The possibilites are as following:

i5 3600 or AMD Ryzen 5 5600X stock cooler thermal paste

Arctic Cooling MX-4

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

If the above is "non conductive" then it should all be fine.
If not, then I might actually have my balls in a salad shooter.

Graphics card etc should be fine anyways right? Meaning; if any issues would occur with the CPU pins or the motherboard socket due to the thermal compound, can it affect other products on the motherboard as well?

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I don't know if it's non-conductive or not.
I am not even sure what thermal paste is on there.

The possibilites are as following:

i5 3600 or AMD Ryzen 5 5600X stock cooler thermal paste

Arctic Cooling MX-4

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut

If the above is "non conductive" then it should all be fine.
If not, then I might actually have my balls in a salad shooter.

Graphics card etc should be fine anyways right? Meaning; if any issues would occur with the CPU pins or the motherboard socket due to the thermal compound, can it affect other products on the motherboard as well?

Technically yes, you could fry the MOBO or other components if a conductive compound bridged data and power pins.

If you already powered it on this way and nothing broke, you're probably fine.

Unless there is so much paste that it could migrate over time to additional areas via gravity or thermal cycling.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
If it's neither electrically conductive nor capacitative, cleaning it up could be a risk unto itself.

Today's socket-fulls of gold contact pin-springs are delicate. Bend one, break one -- you're in for a s***pile of misery. Once, I merely dropped the CPU onto the socket pins, and a couple were damaged beyond repair.

crashtech

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2013
AM4 is amenable to cleaning, perhaps with compressed air and maybe some commonly available solvent sprays, with proper preparation and training. If the TIM is non-conductive though, it might be best to ignore it, although I can imagine not being able to do so.

ASK THE COMMUNITY