There's a party! And plenty of Koch! It's 10PM, do you know where your governor is?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Here are the clips to watch:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#43571292

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#43571315

The right likes to whine that liberals make too much of the Koch brothers.

Shockingly, they're wrong.

They're not the only force in the right wing, but they are a major force with very disproportionate political power compared to what's healthy for the country.

What would political corruption in this country look like, if it were bad?

You might think it involves some major corporate special interest - let's make it one that's harmful, say with lots of pollution - and an agenda to gut regulation against that pollution.

Then you might have them with a very large behind the scenes role in politics around the country influencing all kinds of races - putting people in power who seem to have more loyalty to the special interest that put them there than the people they govern, who might be treated with contempt. They might fund everything from propaganda machines to elections to staging political activities to change opinion.

Maybe they'd be able to just summon governors to command performances with their masters. Let's have the governors go to these meetings secretly, to hide the contact.

That describes the Koch brothers.

Where was Rick Scott last weekend? His public calendar had nothing for the first time since he was governor - and his staff would not say where he was.

Hm, Rick Perry missing too, where was he? No info available.

Both of them were tracked down to a secret meeting in Colorado hosted by the Kochs (tracking the tail number of a plane Perry was known to use that belongs to a donor).

The far-right Governor of Virginia? He was there too, but didn't hide it.

(This is recounting the intro in the first link above so far).

This isn't how it's supposed to work, governors and others put into power with the critical support of billionare special interests who want to get regulation so they can pollute more - already with thousands of violations - where the behavior of these governors seems to be following a Koch agenda rather than the public interest - policies they did not run on that are very unpopular, Rick Scott with an approval rating in the 20's IIRC.

We remember the phony Koch call to Scott Walker - a man the Kochs were the biggest donor for - though they spent even more on Perry.

Elections with unlimited funding by the side with the big bucks is not healthy for democracy.

And the US is not supposed to be run by right-wing tycoons who control politics around the country, destroying unions to help themselves politically, pushing a national campaign to supress voting (37 states now are pushing bills to do so IIRC, in what's called the biggest voter suppression effort in a century).

The second clip has Howard Dean being quite straightforward about this, describing the Kochs as a threat to the country. He has good comments on this.

They further discuss how political activity itself is shifting to be 'privatized' where limits are removed - 'get out the vote' becoming an activity of private organizations with unlimited donations they can take, as these private groups whose donors do not need to be disclosed as the donors to candidates do pass the parties in funding.

This is not good - it's highly corrupt, the agenda of powerful private interests defeating democracy. The attacks are going to get stronger.

This is a taste of where things are headed with the changes put in place in elections.

Last edited:

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
If this is an ok thing why did Gov. Rick Scott of Fla feel it necessary to remove the meeting from his calendar?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Must be a scary world in your head where the Koch brothers are always after you.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Look at the sockpuppets rush to defend their little shadow government... oh how the tune would be different if this was about Soros.

Banana Republicans are a disgrace to this country.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Hmm.. I wasn't around last weekend either..

No one cares about basement dwelling ideologues like you. Governors, senators, these are positions that bear a little more importance in life than you, sorry.

Get into office, disenfranchise voters by taking money and orders from corporate elites and you'll see that change.

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Look at the sockpuppets rush to defend their little shadow government... oh how the tune would be different if this was about Soros.

Banana Republicans are a disgrace to this country.

You must also be a member of the left who is scared shitless from two business men. Shadow govt, ficticious people defending the koch's. Seek help.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Also, Dean is %100 correct. This applies to more than just the Koch Brothers though.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
You must also be a member of the left who is scared shitless from two business men. Shadow govt, ficticious people defending the koch's. Seek help.

Ahh, spoken like a true Banana Republican.

Negative, just someone who doesn't bury his head in the sand over their relationship with the inner workings of our government.

Actually, a hole in the sand would probably be an improvement over where your cranium currently resides.

Scarred shitless != afraid of democracy being eroded by corporate money and back room deals. Even a shill like you should be able to grasp that.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Ahh, spoken like a true Banana Republican.

Negative, just someone who doesn't bury his head in the sand over their relationship with the inner workings of our government.

Actually, a hole in the sand would probably be an improvement over where your cranium currently resides.

Scarred shitless != afraid of democracy being eroded by corporate money and back room deals. Even a shill like you should be able to grasp that.

Then I will eagerly await your complaints about democrats being sucked off by big business.

Nov 30, 2006
OMG! The horrors!

Damn...for a second there I almost thought they were all hiking the Appalachian Trail....whew! Maddow is such a hoot.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Not one word of substance yet from the usual suspects. Does anyone here who disagrees with Craig's post care to explain why we shouldn't be concerned about this sort of thing?

Nov 30, 2006
Not one word of substance yet from the usual suspects. Does anyone here who disagrees with Craig's post care to explain why we shouldn't be concerned about this sort of thing?
Powerful businessmen meeting with government leaders has been SOP in this country since 1776. I personally don't see much difference between George Soros and the Koch Brothers...how about you?

Last edited:

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
At least Soros and the dems don't try to hide their meetings from the public. What are these guys afraid of?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002

Don't see Soros listed as a guest.

From your link:
According to background information provided by the White House, Obama is doing what previous presidents have done, courting big-money donors and party big-wigs, noting that Republican presidents have hosted similar events for large donors and party officials.

Don't see anything new here.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Then I will eagerly await your complaints about democrats being sucked off by big business.

Are those shoelaces dangling from your mouth or are you just happy to see me?

"Also, Dean is %100 correct. This applies to more than just the Koch Brothers though."

You want to start a thread about Dems "being sucked off by big business"? Fine, go right ahead, I'd be interested to see who on "the left" rates as hostile to democracy as the Kochs. If you can do it without relying on your typical partisan bullshit and spin you will see my subsequent agreement and denouncement. This thread isn't about your insecurity concerning Democrats, sorry.
Funny thing is, I seem to recall you not having a problem with the disenfranchising of voters back in 2004. In a thread years ago about polling stations shenanigans you replied to me that you didn't have a problem with Republicans sabotaging a Democratic call center for the NH primaries via a phone based method of DOS because you felt the Dems were also breaking the law somehow.
You don't give a rats ass about democracy, as long as Republicans are the ones fvcking the voters. Given your posts in the last several years I doubt your outlook has changed.

You ask too much of them, responding with bullshit is all they do. I think they actually believe they're making some kind of point too! Craig really does have a lot of nerve, bringing up sensationalist crap like this when we could be discussing other more germane issue. Anthony Weiner's dick, for instance.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
That will come just after his George Soros rant.

I think it says a lot, none of it flattering, that you would consider that a rant.

From the same vein of stupid that makes Craig's thread a clear indication that he is personally afraid of the Koch Bros.