There's a big ass opossum on my patio

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Those things are rabies vectors, so be careful around him.

Has your cat had rabies shots lately?

No, but the cat seemed fairly calm around the thing, so I figured they were on good terms. I didn't know they were rabies carriers (well, not to a large extent)...

GregGreen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000
I was going to post some shit on mammals and opossums and them being marsupials but instead I found out that opossums are unlikely to carry rabies, likely due to their low body temperature

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: GregGreen
I was going to post some shit on mammals and opossums and them being marsupials but instead I found out that opossums are unlikely to carry rabies, likely due to their low body temperature

Really? Huh, well that's good news then.

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: JohnCU
No, but the cat seemed fairly calm around the thing, so I figured they were on good terms. I didn't know they were rabies carriers (well, not to a large extent)...

Same thing happened to me many years ago, peered out onto the porch to see my cat calmly standing next to a possum eating some leftover food. My cat, who was one tough-town-bully kind of a cat, reaches over and swats the possum on the nose and it runs off.