Info There is hope: Tool dethrones Taylor Swift on Billboard 200

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I only heard a few of Swift but they were good. Never heard of Tool and besides why all the hatred for Taylor?

• Wow
Reactions: WhiteNoise

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Nope I don't follow most cultural and music trends. Now does Taylor get wild on stage and videos like Miley does?

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
For some reason I just hate Tool. The last 13 years have been great.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I like some of Tool's music - even bought a live album when I was in college circa 1995. But I have no idea how they could possibly dethrone a pop singer. How could they possibly sell that well in comparison?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I like some of Tool's music - even bought a live album when I was in college circa 1995. But I have no idea how they could possibly dethrone a pop singer. How could they possibly sell that well in comparison?
Tool has been around longer before Swift was even born?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Dude, Tool's "Sober" is one of the defining music videos of the 90s.

Well the song sounds decent but I'm not really sure about the video, especially after the character open the sewage pipe and touching the shit going through it. Talk about disgusting.:rolleyes:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Older people still buy albums.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Older people still buy albums.
True story, I had never brought music CDs in my life. Only had cassettes due to them being cheaper at the time and a stockpile. Man I wished I didn't throw my mom's LPs away, they might be worth something today.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Well the song sounds decent but I'm not really sure about the video, especially after the character open the sewage pipe and touching the shit going through it. Talk about disgusting.:rolleyes:
Maybe these would be more up your alley then? :p

Last edited:
Reactions: snoopy7548

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
True story, I had never brought music CDs in my life. Only had cassettes due to them being cheaper at the time and a stockpile. Man I wished I didn't throw my mom's LPs away, they might be worth something today.

My first 2 music purchases were cassettes though, my sister had given me a Kris Kross album as a gift and I traded that shit in ASAP for credit and bought U2 War and Echo and the Bunnymen.

Still have some LPs around somewhere, my daughter had no idea what they were. We went through this whole routine about "how did you listen to music when you were my age, you had the old style iPods where you had to spin the little wheel?" My son just thinks a Walkman is an old-timey camera. When I told her that all phones used to have cords and were attached to the wall she looked straight at me and said "now you're lying." And then asked me since I'm so old, did we have toys when I was a kid.

Reactions: whm1974
Mar 11, 2004
This might would be interesting news but honestly this is fucking sad as shit sign of how sad the music industry is these days. They sold 270,000 albums for their debut week. Swift sold 867,000 and then their fans are bragging because they outsold her 2nd week by only 80,000? I guess when you're desperate to hang onto the band from your high school days or something.

Also, WTF at their collector CD. It has a 4" display and a speaker (which I'm sure sounds like total shit). At first I thought it was like a bluetooth speaker or iPod Touch type of thing (and thinking they probably didn't even make money off of the sales of the physical copies), but its just like integrated into the shitty paper housing of the CD. And they want $45 for that shit.

Apparently Adele is like the only one selling albums like they used to. She's killing fucking everyone.

For fuck's sake the highest selling album in 2018 was the Greatest Showman soundtrack?

The music industry is a fucking joke these days. I love it.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
My first 2 music purchases were cassettes though, my sister had given me a Kris Kross album as a gift and I traded that shit in ASAP for credit and bought U2 War and Echo and the Bunnymen.

Still have some LPs around somewhere, my daughter had no idea what they were. We went through this whole routine about "how did you listen to music when you were my age, you had the old style iPods where you had to spin the little wheel?" My son just thinks a Walkman is an old-timey camera. When I told her that all phones used to have cords and were attached to the wall she looked straight at me and said "now you're lying." And then asked me since I'm so old, did we have toys when I was a kid.
If you can still have a turntable you could just play the LPs, same with the Walkman if it still works. Also show your kids a working landline phone, rural areas and other folks still have them. Both of them can always use the Internet to look this old stuff up. Wikipedia is a good resource for that.

Oh and just for giggles show them an 8 Track.o_O Disco music maybe?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I've never heard of "Tool" either. But looking at their videos they are some screwed up dudes. Seriously screwed up.

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
This might would be interesting news but honestly this is fucking sad as shit sign of how sad the music industry is these days. They sold 270,000 albums for their debut week. Swift sold 867,000 and then their fans are bragging because they outsold her 2nd week by only 80,000? I guess when you're desperate to hang onto the band from your high school days or something.

Also, WTF at their collector CD. It has a 4" display and a speaker (which I'm sure sounds like total shit). At first I thought it was like a bluetooth speaker or iPod Touch type of thing (and thinking they probably didn't even make money off of the sales of the physical copies), but its just like integrated into the shitty paper housing of the CD. And they want $45 for that shit.

Apparently Adele is like the only one selling albums like they used to. She's killing fucking everyone.

For fuck's sake the highest selling album in 2018 was the Greatest Showman soundtrack?

Most people these days don't buy music, they just rent it.
I've never heard of "Tool" either. But looking at their videos they are some screwed up dudes. Seriously screwed up.
I'm pretty sure the intent was to freak out squares like you.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Most people these days don't buy music, they just rent it.

I'm pretty sure the intent was to freak out squares like you.
I brought songs off Amazon a few times, but lately I just watch music videos on YouTube.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I brought songs off Amazon a few times, but lately I just watch music videos on YouTube.
That can be a hassle because they're of such varying quality, I can't stand poor quality encodings. Anything I really care about, I buy in some format or another.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

I'm pretty sure pop(ular) music has always been the highest-selling since like ever.