There any full service gas stations still around?

Feb 24, 2001
In this general area (north east texas) there are about 100k people, boat load of gas stations, and only 1 that still offers full service. It's an Exxon that is owned by an individual, an older man.

They still do the old timey full service thing at the labeled pumps. You had them your card, they pump the gas, check the fluid levels, tire pressure, wash the windshield, etc.

I think it's an extra $0.10 a gallon...I think. That sounds kinda cheap though. Maybe it's more. The self-service pumps are the same price as anyone else around.

Maybe I just don't notice in other cities because I'm not really looking out for full service stations...but we used to have a ton of them here, but now just one :(

Anyone have any around there area?

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Times have changed maybe? That kind of service doesn't seem to be valued anymore in today's faster paced society. It's all about getting in and getting out.

Dec 10, 2005
Back at home in NY, most stations are a full/self mix. There are a handful of full service only stations.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
Originally posted by: KLin
Originally posted by: mugs
Sure. The entire states of New Jersey and Oregon. :)

Ding ding ding! We have a winnar!
Not exactly--they fill your gas tank, but that's about it, right?

That's all full service is. The extra stuff mentioned in the OP is just that, extra.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
Originally posted by: KLin

Ding ding ding! We have a winnar!
Not exactly--they fill your gas tank, but that's about it, right?

Some will wash your windshield if they're not terribly busy, and if you ask they'll add a quart of oil.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
couple by my house.
Gas is usually $.10 more per gallon there.
Quaint, little and cute. Original old-school pump station. They do nothing but gas.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
New Jersey can kiss my lily white Virginian ass.

I always make sure I have enough gas to zip through the NJ Turnpike without having to fill up.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: JujuFish
That's all full service is. The extra stuff mentioned in the OP is just that, extra.
No, full service ALWAYS had all that extra stuff. What you are talking about is someone pumping your gas. That is partial service - not full service.

I haven't seen a full service station in my home state (Nebraska) for about 10 years.

I would always fill up all but ~3 gallons at their self-serve pump, then drive over to the full service pump for the window wash/tire pressure check/oil check/etc. For ~30 cents, it was worth it.

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: dullard
Originally posted by: JujuFish
No, full service ALWAYS had all that extra stuff. What you are talking about is someone pumping your gas. That is partial service - not full service.

I haven't seen a full service station in my home state (Nebraska) for about 10 years.

I would always fill up all buy ~3 gallons at their self-serve pump, then drive over to the full service pump for the window wash/tire pressure check/oil check/etc. For ~30 cents, it was worth it.

I dunno which irritates me more. How cheap and underhanded that is, or the fact that I didn't think of it first ;)

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001

yea but its not the same type of full service OP is talking about. Sure they'd pump your gas, but they wont check your fluids or anything else.

Persnally, i prefer self-serve. No waiting around for the guy to come around...and I know how to check my own fluids thank you. But all the damn gas stations around me have implemented a system where an attendant would have to put in a code for the pump to work! That means I HAVE to wait around for them now :|