There ain't no stupid like Texas stupid...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Ignoring the physics and risks of such a task.
Did he even consider the cost of MOVING THE FUCKING MOON OR EARTH?
In what weird retarded school would one think MOVING THE FUCKING MOON OR EARTH would be cheaper than just burning less coal & oil?

But all it takes is a big enough lever and a place to stand...

Feb 4, 2009
But all it takes is a big enough lever and a place to stand...

actually turns out he was trying to blame global warming on the Moon and its varying distance from Earth plus Solar Flares.
Seems he wasn’t seeking to move the Earth he was reinforcing the impossible.

HOWEVER

He is still a moron, nobody reputable says the Moon or Solar Flares cause that much greenhouse gasses.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
actually turns out he was trying to blame global warming on the Moon and its varying distance from Earth plus Solar Flares.
Seems he wasn’t seeking to move the Earth he was reinforcing the impossible.

HOWEVER

He is still a moron, nobody reputable says the Moon or Solar Flares cause that much greenhouse gasses.

I was being sarcastic.

But yeah, it is already understood that Milankovitch cycles are not to blame for climate change.

What bothers me most about subjects like these is that the deniers are literally wasting all of our time by turning an economic issue into a political one. Change is inevitable, and eventually new technologies will do far worse harm to the fossil fuels industry than the govt regulation the deniers fear so much ever could.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paratus

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
In what weird retarded school would one think MOVING THE FUCKING MOON OR EARTH would be cheaper than just burning less coal & oil?
Tell me you're joking about considering the cost of such a suggestion as a factor that would have any relevance. :)

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Looks like he was just making a sarcastic comment to the Forest Service about their role in fighting climate change.

Many of you guys must be joking about your responses.

Feb 4, 2009
Looks like he was just making a sarcastic comment to the Forest Service about their role in fighting climate change.

nah, seems he was trying to say something about the moons orbit and solar winds from the sun are causing global warming and those are impossible to fix thus we need to accept the planet getting warmer. This is the moronic part.
I get it, he represents an oil state it would be smarter at this time for him to focus on how to clean up gas refining and oil usage, even if that means more money at the pump thus protecting their revenue.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Do you believe climate change is real or not? Because Louie does not.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Do you believe climate change is real or not? Because Louie does not.

Sure I believe in Climate Change.

If Louie does or doesn't believe doesn't matter. The comment he made was in an obviously sarcastic note. To believe otherwise is stupid.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

If Louie does or doesn't believe doesn't matter. The comment he made was in an obviously sarcastic note. To believe otherwise is stupid.

You understand that voting GOP is voting for climate change deniers, yes?

Reactions: hal2kilo

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

It's possible for a comment to be both sarcastic and stupid. At the very least, to be sarcastic in such an obscure way that nobody knows what point you are attempting to sarcastically make, is kind of stupid.

What was he being sarcastic _about_?

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002

Here is the interview and he looks serious.. totally not sarcastic.

And if he is running meetings just being sarcastic.. he should be fired for wasting our tax dollar.

He is such a tool

He says the last director of NASA told him so... WTF

Feb 4, 2009

Here is the interview and he looks serious.. totally not sarcastic.

And if he is running meetings just being sarcastic.. he should be fired for wasting our tax dollar.

He is such a tool

He says the last director of NASA told him so... WTF

I didn’t watch the video, he is being the usual old school guy. Attempting to Troll when he never developed troll skills because people always listen to him (in the past).
Lame, amateur weak troll attempt.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I don't doubt the last statement, note the last director of NASA was a republican politician from Oklahoma with no background in science... those Okie politicos are every bit as qualified as Louie on the topic.
I was pleasantly surprised with our last director. He did a good job keeping NASA mostly out of the line of fire unlike a number of other federal agencies. Climate science still continued under him.

Reactions: Dave_5k

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
I was pleasantly surprised with our last director. He did a good job keeping NASA mostly out of the line of fire unlike a number of other federal agencies. Climate science still continued under him.
Thanks for intel, interesting & good to hear. Keeping agency out of line of fire is often more than half the battle

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012

Of course you are correct, but making crazy shit up still makes him an idiot and sounds incredibly stupid for him to do so in a serious setting. And, who knows - He might believe the underlying theory that orbital shifts are responsible for global warming, even though he doesn’t believe in global warming. Whether or not Gohmert believes the Forest Service or the Bureau of Land Management can fix his made up problem, the idea that the climate change problem is caused by changes in the orbits of celestial bodies is stupid shit. Whether his question was serious, ironic or sarcastic. It’s pretty damn easy to use that soundbite to paint him as an idiot. It’s the difference between garden variety stupid, and cartoon stupid.

This seems like a pretty common strategy in the Republican age of Trumpism. “I’m going to say something incredibly stupid, in a completely serious setting, so then I can say I was just joking later when called out on it.” He is trolling. Those who support him and his cohorts will either believe he is serious and believe him or take it as him just owning “the libs” by yanking their chains. This is how Gohmert’s voter base functions. They are going “hur, hur, ol’ Louie schooled them greenies, making them admit it’s impossible to change the climate. MAGA!” He is not trying to sound good or sensible to anyone else. He is scoring points with his base. He doesn’t give a rat’s ass if he sounds stupid.

The truth is, climate change is a real problem, caused at least partially by man, that needs real, serious solutions, and whether he’s trolling or not with his question, he needs to shut the fuck up when the adults are talking.

Reactions: ch33zw1z and pmv

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So. Yellowstone is ready to pop right?
Stuff a mega nuke down there at set it off.
What are we looking at in terms of reaction mass? Could we rock the planet an inch?

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Costs only matter when it's a Democrat asking.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I didn’t watch the video, he is being the usual old school guy. Attempting to Troll when he never developed troll skills because people always listen to him (in the past).
Lame, amateur weak troll attempt.
Yea, watch the fucking video, or you might come across as stupid as this stupid motherfucker.

Feb 4, 2009
Yea, watch the fucking video, or you might come across as stupid as this stupid motherfucker.

Apologies, I thought it was a 10 minute video earlier.
Now that I’ve watched it I still say he is using that as “Global Warming has to do with the Earth & Moons changing orbits plus Solar Flares. We can’t change the Sun, we can’t move the Earth or Moon so it is what it is”

Again this is a loser proposition. I cannot figure out why a guy who comes from a big oil district doesn’t talk “hey NG is pretty clean and oil can be cleaned up too. We just have to accept oil will cost more or a little more or whatever” this is a winning proposition. Preserve your districts oil revenue, likely add more jobs prepping that oil to be cleaner, preserve margins with setting the expectation oil will be cleaner but more expensive.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Apologies, I thought it was a 10 minute video earlier.
Now that I’ve watched it I still say he is using that as “Global Warming has to do with the Earth & Moons changing orbits plus Solar Flares. We can’t change the Sun, we can’t move the Earth or Moon so it is what it is”

Again this is a loser proposition. I cannot figure out why a guy who comes from a big oil district doesn’t talk “hey NG is pretty clean and oil can be cleaned up too. We just have to accept oil will cost more or a little more or whatever” this is a winning proposition. Preserve your districts oil revenue, likely add more jobs prepping that oil to be cleaner, preserve margins with setting the expectation oil will be cleaner but more expensive.
Well silly, big oil and green house gasses have nothing to do with global warming... it's the moon's fault.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
  • Haha
Reactions: Fenixgoon