Them hockey-mom clothes are expensive.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
from the NYT story on this, "Ms. Palin did not spend time on the shopping, and that other people made the decision to buy such an array of clothes."

but by all means, don't let that get in the way of bashing the "empress."

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
We bash the whole team that represents what you'd get in a McCain administration. One does not just vote for a president and VP, you have to think about those who come with them as they assume power.

DukeN

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481
from the NYT story on this, "Ms. Palin did not spend time on the shopping, and that other people made the decision to buy such an array of clothes."

Just shows you what you get as part of the whole package when you vote Neocon.

$150K in clothes? Accusing others of being elitists? And trying to appeal to the average Joe?

The hypocrisy is strong in this one.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
It's nice to see people so focused on the real issues this election.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: microbial
GOP donors critical of Palin's pricey threads:
"I?d like my money back ? he can still have my vote,? one donor says of his contribution to McCain's campaign

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14840.html

The campaign said Monday that Palin intends to donate the clothes to charity after the election.
So this is not the real palin - wonder what the real palin is.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: DukeN

Just shows you what you get as part of the whole package when you vote Neocon.

$150K in clothes? Accusing others of being elitists? And trying to appeal to the average Joe?

The hypocrisy is strong in this one.

if sucking 150K from the GOP coffers for clothes is elitist, I don't want to be salt of the earth :brokenheart:

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Turns out the purchase MIGHT be illegal because of some act The <something>-Feingold Act.

http://www.democraticundergrou...ll&address=132x7566745

http://www.govtrack.us/congres...ext.xpd?bill=h107-2356

"SEC. 313. USE OF CONTRIBUTED AMOUNTS FOR CERTAIN PURPOSES.
`(a) PERMITTED USES- A contribution accepted by a candidate, and any other donation received by an individual as support for activities of the individual as a holder of Federal office, may be used by the candidate or individual--
`(1) for otherwise authorized expenditures in connection with the campaign for Federal office of the candidate or individual;
`(2) for ordinary and necessary expenses incurred in connection with duties of the individual as a holder of Federal office;
`(3) for contributions to an organization described in section 170(c) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986; or
`(4) for transfers, without limitation, to a national, State, or local committee of a political party.
`(b) PROHIBITED USE-
`(1) IN GENERAL- A contribution or donation described in subsection (a) shall not be converted by any person to personal use.
`(2) CONVERSION- For the purposes of paragraph (1), a contribution or donation shall be considered to be converted to personal use if the contribution or amount is used to fulfill any commitment, obligation, or expense of a person that would exist irrespective of the candidate's election campaign or individual's duties as a holder of Federal office, including--
`(A) a home mortgage, rent, or utility payment;
`(B) a clothing purchase;
`(C) a noncampaign-related automobile expense;
`(D) a country club membership;
`(E) a vacation or other noncampaign-related trip;
`(F) a household food item;
`(G) a tuition payment;
`(H) admission to a sporting event, concert, theater, or other form of entertainment not associated with an election campaign; and
`(I) dues, fees, and other payments to a health club or recreational facility.'.
"

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
On tonight's national news, (don't remember which station) the newsie reporting on this story said that the RNC will donate the clothes to charity once the campaign is over...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I want her blue dress.

They are going to donate the clothes, why exactly? I presume it's on the assumption that if we vote Republican we will all get to enjoy a nude VP?

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I want her blue dress.

They are going to donate the clothes, why exactly? I presume it's on the assumption that if we vote Republican we will all get to enjoy a nude VP?

Is this a wrong assumption? The true dichotomy it offers from the person who's making decisions right now is much welcome, no?

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
I wonder how she is going to handle the taxes on this one.

The $150k in clothes is effectively a gift. Will she declare it as income and then turn around and claim a charity deduction?

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Robor
I can't stand Palin but I'm not sure why this is newsworthy. If the RNC wants to waste their money on clothes for her and/or her family let them. If people have a problem with it they can choose to not donate to the RNC.

This.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: BoomerD
On tonight's national news, (don't remember which station) the newsie reporting on this story said that the RNC will donate the clothes to charity once the campaign is over...
The quote I read was the ones from the convention were to be donated, nothing was said of others.

Originally posted by: Robor
I can't stand Palin but I'm not sure why this is newsworthy..
I don't think the dems would have run with this one, if not for all the faux outrage, in the past, over the price of Clinton's and Edwards hair cuts.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001

She still accepted the clothes, and her campaign knew she represented "joe-sixpack". Oops.

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
Originally posted by: dawp

And campaign funds con only be spent on certain items, and i don't think clothes are one of them, thou I could be wrong.

RNC can spend the donated money any way they want, federal tax dollars cannot, not to mention they are being donated afterwards.

But like ther people think in this thread, it makes no sense for being in the news. Lets see how much the other canidates spend on their wardobe. Oh wait who really gives a flying fuck. How about the media discussing a topic that actually matters about the canindates.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: DixyCrat
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I want her blue dress.

Is this a wrong assumption? The true dichotomy it offers from the person who's making decisions right now is much welcome, no?

I don't understand what is being said here.

I am positing an assumption and asking if it is right or not so it would not make sense to ask me if it is or isn't. I asked first.

What is the dichotomy of which you speak?

Who is making the decisions?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
yeah joe sixpack always goes on 150,000 shopping sprees.you betcha

I wonder if they will donate the clothes 'soiled' :eek:

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Hugh H
Originally posted by: bozack
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

I think when you spend $150k+ on clothes and represent the candidate as Mrs. Down-to-Earth Joe Six-Pack Hockey Mom it's probably newsworthy - especially when people are losing their jobs, homes and retirement savings in an economic downturn ...

What a bunch of double standard bullshit, if we are going down this road then why not talk of all the donation money that Obama is flushing down the toilet on his record breaking ad spending when he could in fact be donating that money to charity....

In fact, how much money did Obama donate to charity after his wife got a massive pay increase??

It is a campaign, both sides will spend money to make their candidate look better...I remember the year clinton got like an 800 haircut...it is just how the game is played

I see Obama spending the campaing money just as his donors wanted him to spend it.... in advertisments for the campaign and making sure he is elected, not for charity. I am not sure this 150k for Ms. Palin's wardrobe will improve her chances of winning the election.

This is the biggest problem in the USA, people absolutely believes everything they think is absolutely correct! And worse yet actually try to proselytized it as the standards for all others!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: OrByte

you think joe 6-pack would turn down $150K on the GOP's dime? :p

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Jiggz
Originally posted by: Hugh H
Originally posted by: bozack
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

I think when you spend $150k+ on clothes and represent the candidate as Mrs. Down-to-Earth Joe Six-Pack Hockey Mom it's probably newsworthy - especially when people are losing their jobs, homes and retirement savings in an economic downturn ...

What a bunch of double standard bullshit, if we are going down this road then why not talk of all the donation money that Obama is flushing down the toilet on his record breaking ad spending when he could in fact be donating that money to charity....

In fact, how much money did Obama donate to charity after his wife got a massive pay increase??

It is a campaign, both sides will spend money to make their candidate look better...I remember the year clinton got like an 800 haircut...it is just how the game is played

I see Obama spending the campaing money just as his donors wanted him to spend it.... in advertisments for the campaign and making sure he is elected, not for charity. I am not sure this 150k for Ms. Palin's wardrobe will improve her chances of winning the election.

This is the biggest problem in the USA, people absolutely believes everything they think is absolutely correct! And worse yet actually try to proselytized it as the standards for all others!
I would venture to guess that generalizations are a bigger problem in the u.s. but then this is probably a worldwide problem.

I wonder how many 'facts' you have accepted which aren't true and yet you spout this garbage. I guess I could start spouting facts about oppressive, authoritarian repugs. I could probably find some quotes alluding to this but it wouldn't necessarily make it true. I could repeat it incessantly and put it in my sig but this still wouldn't make it true.

For incomprehensible reasons, the "fiscally responsible repugs" don't care that $150,000 is bandied about like the price of a candy bar. I can understand partisan allegiance but trying to explain it away as anything else is weak.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: JD50
It's nice to see people so focused on the real issues this election.

Because up until this point, that has TOTALLY been the main topic of discussion.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: OrByte

She should sell them on ebay. She'd probably have better luck than she did with the airplane.