Them hockey-mom clothes are expensive.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: teiresias
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Furthermore, I'm sure you were this upset when the Republicans were having a hissy fit over John Edwards $400 haircut - right?
So, you're suggesting that 400 is about the same 150,000? Hopefully, you don't earn a living with numbers...

What are you talking about? He made some hyperbole-filled claim trying to justifying the 150k and in the process brought up some haircut Bill Clinton got. I just find it odd how the Republicans think this $150k on wardrobe isn't a big deal but got all into a hissy fit over Edwards' $400 haircut - yes, especially considering the price differential.
Wrong quote, my bad.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
What are you talking about? He made some hyperbole-filled claim trying to justifying the 150k and in the process brought up some haircut Bill Clinton got. I just find it odd how the Republicans think this $150k on wardrobe isn't a big deal but got all into a hissy fit over Edwards' $400 haircut - yes, especially considering the price differential.
We got into a hissy fit with Edwards because his whole campaign was about emphasizing the "two Americas" and how he tried to portray himself as middle class. Meanwhile, anyone with a brain could see he was full of sh*t -- and as it turns out he was nothing but a pretty boy spiv who cheated on his wife and lied about it, all while supervising the construction of a 10k sq ft mansion in the Carolinas. Hypocrisy FTW.

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
Originally posted by: brencat
We got into a hissy fit with Edwards because his whole campaign was about emphasizing the "two Americas" and how he tried to portray himself as middle class. Meanwhile, anyone with a brain could see he was full of sh*t -- and as it turns out he was nothing but a pretty boy spiv who cheated on his wife and lied about it, all while supervising the construction of a 10k sq ft mansion in the Carolinas. Hypocrisy FTW.

yup

Joe Six-Pack, Joe the Plumber, Hockey Moms

vs.

Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus, Barney?s New York, Bloomingdale?s, Atelier, and Louis Vuitton

Hypocrisy FTW

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: brencat

Palin isn't so different, my friends. She claims to represent the little guy, you know, small-town America with hockey moms and joe six-pack dads. And to make the comparison to Edwards even more scary, she advocates that there are indeed two Americas: the pro-America America and everyone else who according to her surrogates, hate hard-working Americans who try and achieve and believe in god.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo
Originally posted by: Robor
I can't stand Palin but I'm not sure why this is newsworthy. If the RNC wants to waste their money on clothes for her and/or her family let them. If people have a problem with it they can choose to not donate to the RNC.

I think when you spend $150k+ on clothes and represent the candidate as Mrs. Down-to-Earth Joe Six-Pack Hockey Mom it's probably newsworthy - especially when people are losing their jobs, homes and retirement savings in an economic downturn ...
/agreed.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
I can't stand Palin but I'm not sure why this is newsworthy. If the RNC wants to waste their money on clothes for her and/or her family let them. If people have a problem with it they can choose to not donate to the RNC.

I think when you spend $150k+ on clothes and represent the candidate as Mrs. Down-to-Earth Joe Six-Pack Hockey Mom it's probably newsworthy - especially when people are losing their jobs, homes and retirement savings in an economic downturn ...

But when Obama's wife is ordering Caviar, Champaign and Lobster for lunch, thats ok. Got it.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
The cost of her clothes are a non issue with me. After watching her on SNL, I would rather see her with less clothing on anyway.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: SP33Demon

/agreed.

I remember when Republicans went nuts because Clinton got a hair cut in LA.

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Corbett

But when Obama's wife is ordering Caviar, Champaign and Lobster for lunch, thats ok. Got it.

Let us know jhen that actually happens in reality and not in someones delusional mind!

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

Rupert Murdoch's (Fox News, Wall Street Journal, etc.) paper has already printed a retraction of this story. Turns out Mrs. Obama wasn't even staying at the hotel they reported this to have happened at. Pretty sloppy, politically biased reporting in my view.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
wow, a family of 6 in the spotlight every single day spending money on looking nice... this is a major issue.

or something.

maybe the Palins themselves should have taken the costs, but if the RNC wants to pay for it, f' them.

RKDaley

Oct 27, 2007

That story was not true. Page Six had to retract:
THE source who told us last week about Michelle Obama getting lobster and caviar delivered to her room at the Waldorf-Astoria must have been under the influence of a mind-altering drug. She was not even staying at the Waldorf. We regret the mistake, and our former source is going to regret it, too. Bread and water would be too good for such disinformation
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10..._disservice_134490.htm

bdude

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481
wow, a family of 6 in the spotlight every single day spending money on looking nice... this is a major issue.

or something.

maybe the Palins themselves should have taken the costs, but if the RNC wants to pay for it, f' them.

Looking nice is no big deal. I doubt this issue would've been brought up if they spent in the neighborhood of 10grand...

But 150grand? Are you insane?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: bdude

or something.

Looking nice is no big deal. I doubt this issue would've been brought up if they spent in the neighborhood of 10grand...

think of it as an economic stimulus package :p

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: bdude

or something.

think of it as an economic stimulus package :p
f'n apologists.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: RKDaley

That story was not true. Page Six had to retract:
THE source who told us last week about Michelle Obama getting lobster and caviar delivered to her room at the Waldorf-Astoria must have been under the influence of a mind-altering drug. She was not even staying at the Waldorf. We regret the mistake, and our former source is going to regret it, too. Bread and water would be too good for such disinformation
http://www.nypost.com/seven/10..._disservice_134490.htm
Oops:laugh:

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Actually I think the receipt of these clothes should be, and possibly may be like winning a contest or sweepstakes and would require paying income taxes on the $ amount by the receipient. It should come under the category of over $600 misc. income. After reading about some of her creative tax returns I would say she is a perfect candidate for an IRS tax audit, but definitely should not be a candidate for VP of the US.

colonel

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
SARAH PALIN: MATERIAL CAMPAIGN GIRL
(Material Girl, Madonna)

Some folks kiss me, some folks hug me
I think they?re O.K.
If they don?t give me proper credit
I just walk away

They can beg and they can plead
But they can?t see the light, that?s right
?Cause the the Neocons with the cold hard cash
Are always Mister Right, ?cause we are

Chorus:

Living in a material campaign world
And I am McCain?s material girl
You know that we are living in a material campaign world
And I just spent $150 Gs on wardrobe just for me

Some will romance, some will slow dance
That?s all right with me
If they can?t raise my interest then I
Have to let them be

Some folks try and some folks cry but
I just let them pray
Only those who spend their cash
Make my rainy day, ?cause they are

(chorus)

Living in a material campaign world [material]
Living in a material campaign world
(repeat)

Elections may come and elections may go
And that?s all right you see
This experience will make me rich
And now they?re after me, ?cause everybody?s

(chorus)

A material, a material, a material, a material world

Living in a material campaign world [material]
And I just spent 150 Gs on a wardrobe just for me
(repeat and fade)

[You can take the girl out of the cheap
underwear, but you cant take the cheap underwear
out of the girl]

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Lets cut to the chase, Palin is sexually hot, and every red blooded male, me included, knows she would look better naked in our bed, but a $150,000 for the empress wears no clothes seems like overkill.

But think of all them GOP women who can now go to their husbands and say, I deserve that dress up also. When you are hunting moose, all that camouflage clothing pays off.

After all, its only amounts to an extra McCain television ad or two, if the GOP feels froggie, I say let em. Its really not a crime to dress up a pitbull wearing lipstick.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
for what it's worth, the article seemed to imply it was for the entire Palin family (6-8 people, depending on how you want to count it) now $150K on Sarah.